Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

england line up

• 29-03-2005 10:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭

what do you think the english first eleven should be???

mine is..

robinson
    carragher ferdinand terry cole
    beckham gerrard lampard downing
    rooney
    owen

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

For tomorrows game its no change...Englands only persistant problem areas are goalie (Robinson) and left wing Cole did an exellent job against ropey opposition but I'd keep him out there unles he gets found out against serious footballers.

I actually think Ashley Cole would be an exellent winger with Wayne Bridge at LB.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

England , who cares ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

mike65 wrote:
    I actually think Ashley Cole would be an exellent winger with Wayne Bridge at LB.
    Ive always thought that, but with the old cast around the ankle I think Bridge would be found out, even against Azerbaijan ;)

Well I did'nt mean tomorrow night, loike! :D

Mike.

ps I care!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,314 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

England team for tomorrow

Anybody

SGE will still make a mess of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

well its the same for tomorrow night im just wondering who ye think is the best eleven. they had such an easy group this year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think the best team England could put out would be:

Robinson/James[just depending on form]
    G Neville - Rio - Terry - Cole
    Beckham - Butt - Lampard - J Cole
    --Rooney

Owen

Defense would be rock solid.
    Butt would giev the holding midfield role, with a decent centre midfield pairing.
    Cole would provide the width on the left, with Cole backing him up giving great options.
    On the right, Beckham would provide some width, but Neville is great goign forward and works really well with Beckham cause they played together since they were 12 :)
    Rooney would also be able to drop into the right sided hole to add some more poewr ont hat side, and Owen would be up front doing some goal poaching :)

Best possible English team, but absolutly no chance whatsoever of it happening whatsoever :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭PeadarofAodh

Wow - So you'd pick butt over gerrard? I think butt's time is past but even so, off-form Gerrard is still a better player (both defensively and attacking) than Butt is. I think Neville and Beckham (SGE is never going to drop Beckham so we might as well get over that!) is probably the best bet on the right given their understanding. Not so sure about Cole on the left but I'd say give him his go until we know for sure. Lampard and Gerrard are never going to be contested, what other country has two such brilliant central defenders in fairness? Other than Cole I think this England team is 100% decided at this stage.

well when campbell comes back there will be some uncertainty about the central defense, in my opinion it has to be terry and rio but i think SGE will go with rio and campbell.

although i went with rooney and owen, i dont think this is the ideal partnership. id like someone bigger beside. alot of englands strikers are similar in stature defoe, owen, rooney, vassell. id like to see beattie get a chance if he got back in form. also did anyone see ashtons goal for the under 21's? great goal, could be one for the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

mike65 wrote:
    Englands only persistant problem areas are goalie (Robinson) .

shame on you!

whats wrong with robinson? excellent keeper, with another 10 years of international play ahead of him!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Robinson
    Neville-Ferdinand-Terry-A Cole
    Beckham-Gerrard-Lampard-J Cole
    Rooney
    Owen

When Campbell comes back I think Terry will drop to the bench even though he is having an amazing season. Campbell just has more experience at the moment in internationals but by the time the World Cup comes along, Terry will be #1 choice with Ferdinand.
    I think Robinson is good enough to stay in goal. Beckham needs to be kept on the right. Central midfield is not gonna be changed but I think they have a problem where they have 2 players who like to go forward. One has to be told to stay back and I think Gerrard will be given that role seeing as Lampard has been more successful in the advanced role for his club. The problem is both have defensive players behind them at their clubs (Hamann & Makele) and for them to play that, it will require discipline, and I'm afraid against teams like Italy, Brazil, Argentina, etc, they will get punished for not having a full time defensive midfielder.
    Rooney & Owen pick themselves.

On paper, the team look impressive but I think our lads would beat them easy. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I think the Euro's proved that a Butt-Gerrard/Lampard would be a better partnership than Gerrard-Lampard. I certainly don't agree with a lot of the pundits view of put out your best 11 (somehow none that I've heard say it recently have ever been managers). Its all well and good having a great team on paper but against any top team (and it has been proven) they will get caught out.

I watched bits and pieces of the Wales game and neither of them have the job of staying back in the holding role. One of them goes forward while the other stays back. They just can't do it right though. OK, against N.Ireland and Azerbaijan they'd be fine but not against a really top team.

I'd have the 3 of them (Butt, Gerrard, Lamps) on the pitch if I could though that'll never happen.

BTW, no offence but why was this thread opened if there were no changes? The same comments are just going to be made. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

my team:
    Robinsonn

----Neville
    Campbell
    Terry
    Cole

Carrick
    Gerrard

Wright-Philips
    Lampard
    J.Cole

Owen

Downing to replace J.Cole in about 2 years .

My problem with Gerrard Lampard is that I think they are both excellent players, but it's like having two Keano's or two Scholes. It just doesn't work, you need one of each. Butt was just the only defensive midfielder I could think of in the English squad, Carrick is there, also I hear King plays there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭case n basket

mike65 wrote:

Mike.
    He's played a few games there for Arsenal recently (with Clichy at LB) and he's been excellent. England should play a 4-3-3 with Rooney, Owen and SWP in attack imo!

shame on you!

whats wrong with robinson? excellent keeper, with another 10 years of international play ahead of him!

Nothing wrong with Robinson (I should have been more careful in my post) the problem is that he properly does'nt know from one game to the next if he'll get the gig. Wheras for years it was simple - Banks, Clemence, Shilton, Seaman. Once they were in they stayed in. Now theres no-one who can claim the spot beyond doubt.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Robinson/James
    G Neville - Rio - Terry - Cole
    Beckham - Ferrard - Lampard - J Cole
    --Rooney

Owen

James
    Carragher
    Butt
    Wright Phillips
    Defoe

I,m not sure about Butt but I think he is still best of his type available to England. I,m not too sure about Beckham either I would probably play Wright Phillips instead of him.

SWG for all his worth, can't knock in crosses like Becks is doing today, they are just sublime

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

PHB wrote:
    SWG for all his worth, can't knock in crosses like Becks is doing today, they are just sublime

but with strikers like owen and rooney, are they really in need of a player who can cross a ball as well?

in fairness beckam puts in some great attacking crosses. England dont look great though. Azerbanjahn arent exactly world beaters and I expected England to have at least 2 scored at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

in fairness beckam puts in some great attacking crosses. England dont look great though. Azerbanjahn arent exactly world beaters and I expected England to have at least 2 scored at this stage.

His crossing has always been his strong point. The question is does he deserve to keep SWP out of the team . I'd like to see SWP running at defenders TBH.

Yes they are. The strikers that they have can't seem to score on either the ground or the air today.
    Gerrard is just playing utter ****e, I wonder if SGE has the balls to sub him. None of his passes are getting anywhere, its just crazy.

He has given 3 goal scoring chances with sublime crosses.
    If SWP can do the same by running at people and giving up average crosses then fine, but he can't yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

PHB wrote:
    Yes they are. The strikers that they have can't seem to score on either the ground or the air today.
    Gerrard is just playing utter ****e, I wonder if SGE has the balls to sub him. None of his passes are getting anywhere, its just crazy.

He would need to consult the newspapers and media , unless one of them said to sub gerrard after 60 minutes.

Cant see it happen unless they winning well, but Gerrard is world class how can he be playing badly :rolleyes:

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

PHB wrote:

lucky he didnt!

Gerrard scored, but it doesn't change the fact he has been **** all night, and is still making bad passes.

p.s.
    Thats why Rooney is worth 30 million :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

They need Ashton up front

Terrible game from Owen, Gerrard, and Joe Cole.
    Hopefully the press will pick up on it, nah :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Owen was terrible, couldnt finish a sentence. Probably best he misses the next game.

HAHAHA. England went about the task well. Something that maybe we could do. But they are still muck :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

weren't as muck as that went on last night in Lansdowne Road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

"This man - what’s his name, the number 10, the small one who doesn’t play in the Real Madrid first team - said that if Poland beat Azerbaijan 8-0, England should score at least eight and he’d score five of them. Who is Michael Owen anyway? What has he ever won in football? He plays for Real Madrid but he is always on the bench. Who is he anyway? Who is he? I have a history in football but what is the history of this guy, this midget?"
    Azerbaijan manager and former Brazilian World Cup winning captain Carlos Alberto launches a stunning tirade in the direction of the England striker after Wednesday night’s World Cup qualifier.

:D

What a goal that was from him , the one where Pelé laid it off for him to drive it into the bottom corner , after Brazil put something like 20 passes together .

He's quite a character , he was complaining about his team while England were struggleing to break them down .

i heard on sky news that the azerbijan manager said"who is this midget anyway and what has he won!" in relation to owen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭dcarroll

eirebhoy wrote:
    "This man - what’s his name, the number 10, the small one who doesn’t play in the Real Madrid first team - said that if Poland beat Azerbaijan 8-0, England should score at least eight and he’d score five of them. Who is Michael Owen anyway? What has he ever won in football? He plays for Real Madrid but he is always on the bench. Who is he anyway? Who is he? I have a history in football but what is the history of this guy, this midget?"
    Azerbaijan manager and former Brazilian World Cup winning captain Carlos Alberto launches a stunning tirade in the direction of the England striker after Wednesday night’s World Cup qualifier.

:D
    I agree, the little prick

ya know i should have read all of that post eirebhoy!!

• Advertisement

Owen replied to his comments saying he was misquoted and that he would never show such disrespect .

Advertisement