Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Next Ireland captain?

• 29-03-2005 11:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭

Presumably following the next WC whether we qualify or not both Keane and Cunningham will hang up their international boots.

Who do you think should be the next captain? We had this dicussion on Saturday, and concluded that there are not that many clear cut candidates.

Given was a possibility, he is certain of his place, leads by example has the experience, I just feel he doesnt have the required presence on the pitch, being a GK doesnt help.

Richard Dunne was also a possibility, hopefully by the time the decision actually has to be made (prays beginning of July 2006 ;) ) he will have matured into a great player.

Cant really think of many others who could stake a long term claim for the armband.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

Josh !! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

In the long term future, I'm talking about 4 years away now, I think the real possibilites are Dunne, O'Shea, and Miller, with Kilbane as a backup
    That said, I think we would be extremly lucky to get any one of them to the level required to replace the influence of Roy Keane or Cunningham

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Is Kavo younger than Keano? if we still have Kerr, he'll give it to Duff or Keane or someone else ridiculous. i can actually see Zinedine Kilbane gettin it. mainly coz Holland will probably be dropped by then into the David Connolly memorial bin. i'd say when the time comes, it'll be decided by experience of any outfield player, mainly a defender or midfielder hopefully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

I'd give it to Stephen Carr.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I think it will be between Robbie Keane and Shay Given, with Shay edging it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

short term = Kilbane

long term= Dunne

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭knobbles

Stephen Carr is the most obvious candidate
    - he'll be around for a couple more campaigns,
    (afaik) was a captain at Spurs when Redknapp was out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

Kilbane will probably get it if he stays in the fold. Kerr seems to like him (or ZK has some dirt on him!) and he plays every game.

It will probably be Carr/Holland though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

There is only one option for me : Shay Given! I know an outfield would be preferable but I don't think there is anyone in the outfeild squad that could do it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

knobbles wrote:
    Stephen Carr is the most obvious candidate
    - he'll be around for a couple more campaigns,
    (afaik) was a captain at Spurs when Redknapp was out
    He also captained Newcaslte in one of his first few games for the club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Hasn't Car had come fallings-out with Kerr in the past though. For this reason I can only see Shay Given being given the armband.

Richard Dunne, are you people serious?
    We had this dicussion on Saturday, and concluded that there are not that many clear cut candidates.
    Were you in the pub with me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I'd give to to Kilbane, Given or even Clint. They're the only ones who seem to give a **** out there most of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

seansouth wrote:

Richard Dunne, are you people serious?

whats wrong with dunne? :confused:

Advertisement