Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ntl IP address

• 29-03-2005 11:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭

As far as I remember ntl had dynamic IP addresses but I have had the same one now since I began to use their service, even after switching off the modem. Is there anyway I can force the IP address to change?

Also, Zonealarm has stopped 2000 inbound intrusions since I got ntl last week, in comparsion to eircom I only got like 3 a week. Is this to do with the IP ranges being included in the ntl UK set of IPs or? :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

As far a i know the NTL modem usually tries to aquire the same IP that it had before whenever it is powered back up, mate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,876 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

well as far as I know, NTL renews its IP every hour. unplug ur modem overnight and some other poor sucker will be left wit the IP that u got banned from wherever, eh i mean u will get a new IP wen u power on again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

No, I actually just like a different IP address after a couple of scans by the same IP I get paranoid. With eircom it was a simple switch on and off the modem job but now even if I leave it off all night I stil lget the same address ah well...

Any word on the rumored upgrade as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

The_B_Man wrote:
    well as far as I know, NTL renews its IP every hour.
    No, people have posted on boards that they've had the same IP address for months.

Steve - those intrusions aren't down to you being with ntl; maybe they're down to some of the places that the particular IP address has 'visited' :D

causal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

You can always run the command prompt and do a release renew command. You dont have to turn the modem off but more than likely your stuck with the one IP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

causal wrote:
    No, people have posted on boards that they've had the same IP address for months.

Steve - those intrusions aren't down to you being with ntl; maybe they're down to some of the places that the particular IP address has 'visited' :D

causal

They're all TCP and UDP port scan stuff. Does that has anything to do with the places I've visted?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

Its the DHCP lease time on the server, iirc its 6hours..so keeping your machine off for 6hours ought to get you a new ip, i doubt u need to keep the modem off as it acts more like a network bridge than a modem...

Personally i find it very handy, most of those scan's are probally done on the ip range so i wouldn't get too paranoid(broadband users are notorious for having trojen's installed, so easy prey..)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,874 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

This is funny, most people want a static IP, I certainly do :)

I wouldn't worry too much about the port scans, as long as you have your machine well secured, you should be fine.

Some basics for a secure machine:

1) Have at least a software Firewall like Zonealarm. (I have a hardware firewall followed by a software firewall).
    2) Make sure all unused ports and other silly Windows stuff like file sharing are off or closed.
    3) Make sure you have the latest security updates for your OS.
    4) Make sure to have an upto date virus scanner.
    5) Don't use MS IE/OE, use Mozilla Firefox/Thunderbird instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭okden

from NTL website
    Are the IP addresses static or dynamic?

IP addresses will be dynamically allocated. This means that approximately every twenty-four (24) hours your IP address will be renewed from a pool of addresses. However, in most cases you will retain the same IP address.

If IP addresses will be assigned dynamically, is there any way to get a static IP address on this service?

At the moment there are no plans to offer static IP's on this service. In practice you will find that the dynamically assigned IP address will remain fairly consistent.

NTL has stable dynamic IP addys

if NTL reboot the DHCP servers, IP's change

anyone know of a way to force a change, the option would be nice :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

swapping between usb and ethernet will get you a different ip address. but switch back and you've got the old address again

• Advertisement
Advertisement