Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rainwater Harvesting

Options
  • 29-03-2005 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭

Going to install this in my new house, planning stage at the moment. Was looking at www.shaymurtagh.ie Anyone use him or an alternative company? Anyone use rainwater harvesting at all and if so what sort of system. Does it supply the wc and washing machines directly or does it fill the header tank?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭fearrchair

I've had some dealing with a company in Sligo called BEL who offer a full system for about €9-10K if you have two outside tanks, less 2K if you have one tank (each tank = 9000 litres 2000 Gallons).

One tank should be enough if you have a mains top up when needed.

Its a 4 stage filter that changes O2 to O3 ozone and back to O2 again

It would be about 3K - 4K if you use the water for toilets, washing machine etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭starman100

You could also look at a plastic/GRP alternative, such as the Envireau system made by Klargester / Kingspan (see http://www.environmental-containers.com/ ). I think this system can be set up for 'grey' water use i.i. toilets and stuff. Needs a pump to operate and fill tank to attic for use. Plain old water barrel out the back will have to do me I'm afraid but rainwater is 'soft' and handy for the garden, washing the car, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭YAPP

This will be mandatory in 2007 as New Building regs will be in force.

existing firm in Leitrim have started it. They make concrete septic tanks and wastewater treatment units.

rainwater collection chamber with inlet filter, primary water treatment and circulating pump run from inside the house/habitable unit.

used to run water through wc, wash machines, heating sys....

quite common in parts of Holland.

YAPP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Doper Than U

I'm going to do this aswell, makes sense with the amount of rain we get. I heard there was a problem with Zinc from galvanised roofs getting into the water, and not to use asphalt roofs if planning rainwater harvesting. I don't imagine either of those will cause a huge problem in Ireland in new builds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 TurkeyLove

Hi, i'm a 3rd year civil engineering student in DIT Boltonst. I am doing my final year thesis on domestic rainwater harvesting and was wondering if anyone could give me a few pointers on where to start or any info that would be great.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement