Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kung Fu Hustle

• 30-03-2005 12:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

rarely ever recomend movies here but this is worth getting.

A rip off of nearly every kung fu movie ever made with splashes of Matrix in there too. Plot is fairly basic but the jokes(mainly visual gags) and fight scenes are hilarious.

Same guy who made Shoalin Soccer (i just found that out)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0373074/
    http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-7k-70-h2f.html

My stomach hurt its that funny :D

kdjac

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I was going to post a new thread, but I did a search first (pats myself on back)

anyway, I went to see this last night. Now I'd read good things, I knew not to take it too seriously. And it's a good thing I didn't, because it's one of the few films I've seen that has next to none in redeeming qualities.

There is a good bit of píss-taking in it, and the spiderman quote made me laugh, but god, it was far too painful and drawnout overall. It tried too hard to be funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Fionn McCOOL

An amazing movie. If you don't find this funny your dead inside. Fans of asian movies will love it. Anyway this is my take on it from another site.
    Everybodys probably seen this but its so good its still worth mentioning.

Kung Fu Hustle. - Admitidly while it is very westernised and Stephen Chow is more commercially aware than most of his counterparts in the asian film industry, its still the most fun I've ever had watching a flick.Purists might say that Chow has sold his soul, but maybe, just maybe, this could be one Asian director that will make a worldwide impact without having to come to the USA to make inferior Hollywood remakes.I know there has been others but nothing that lasted too long.I think this guy possesses the right amount of magic to make it really happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭r3boot

I thought it was funny all the way through and the stunts were amazingly done so that you could tell that they weren't supposed to look realisitc, most kungfu movies you can't tell when their taking the piss but with this one its obvious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

I haven't howled laughing at a movie since I was a kid, this had my face aching.

r3boot wrote:
    I thought it was funny all the way through and the stunts were amazingly done so that you could tell that they weren't supposed to look realisitc, most kungfu movies you can't tell when their taking the piss but with this one its obvious.

Well, that's definitely true. The whole film is designed not the be taken seriously and really tries to send up the genre. My main gripe is that it tried too hard at times, leaving me with a bit of a strained feeling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I rarely laugh out loud in a cinema, but this was definately one of those times! Such an enjoyable movie to watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Agent Orange

Kung Fu Hustle gets the 'Agent Orange' seal of approval also. What a great movie.

The trailer gives a great impression of the kind of silly, manic film it is:
    http://images.hollywood.com/images/quicktime/kungfuhustle_son_t_low.mov

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

A friend got this on dvd ages ago. Thought it was a pretty decent film. Very funny in parts, excellent stunts and fantastic CGI that was used extremely well for some hilarious cartoony effects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,553 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Wasn't mad about it. Funny in places (but not enough), stupid in places (too much), and a terrible story line. Best of a bad lot out this weekend.....

• Advertisement

the Sunday Times had a mad rant about it.

I know, The Sunday Times reviewer gave this 4 stars, when last week, he only gave Batman Begins (a far superior film) 2 stars..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭weemcd

KdjaC wrote:
    A rip off of nearly every kung fu movie ever made with splashes of Matrix in there too.

That would put me off a little tbh, im sick of films taking the piss out fo the matrix, because it is simply not funny.

ill give you the benefit of the doubt tho and wait till i actually see the film :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Is that reviewer a man or a woman? The name at the bottom of the reviews is Comos something ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

This was brilliant - just saw it today. Had me in a combination of laughing and going "wow, sweet"

Great stuff, sometimes outrageously funny and then not so funny, but overall a fantastic film that I will definately be buying on DVD soon...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

not enough good to outweigh the bad, bad, bad parts of this movie....

Some of the jokes were funny, such as the spiderman reference etc, but in general this movie has a plot and action that has been rehashed so many times... yawntastic...

dont bother wasting your money on this one...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Absolutely excellent movie, IMHO. Probably my film of the year (haven't seen Batman Begins yet) - or maybe it ties with Sideways? Much better than the vastly over-overhyped Sin City (ah, ok it was alright). Like other's here, my face ached from laughing and the action was impressive and enjoyable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

ionapaul wrote:
    Absolutely excellent movie, IMHO. Probably my film of the year (haven't seen Batman Begins yet) - or maybe it ties with Sideways? Much better than the vastly over-overhyped Sin City (ah, ok it was alright). Like other's here, my face ached from laughing and the action was impressive and enjoyable.
    :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭ionapaul

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
    I decided to speak in tongues for a second! Basically the film was extremely impressive, being both funny and filled with jaw-dropping action. Will prompt the first time I go back for a second viewing in the UGC, despite having an Unlimited Card for the past 12 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Lol plotholes in a slapstick comedy, priceless.

Sure isnt Blazing Saddles way too westernised....

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Great film, they even had the Shining in there at one stage!

I loved the fight scenes, especially the bits with the assassin busker dudes.

Only bit I didnt like was the chase scene.

That is all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

The funniest scene was the bit when they are trying to throw the knives at the Landlady. I had tears running down my face after that scene.

Anybody agree?

I liked it. I think I laughed more at Shoalin Soccer though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Juggalo

Have it on DVD awhile now. Fairly average movie.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Prior Of Taize

i "imported" it at the start of january. it is a very funny film...not worth buying tho...its just too much of a comedic film to be worthy of purchase (unlike an epic blockbuster etc etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Dr.Feelgood

If you's get a chance check out a movie called

Ong Bak

Thai movie.

Unbeleivable fighting. Some serious manouvers

No ropes or anything like that were used for the main actor- He is incredible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Juggalo

If you's get a chance check out a movie called

Ong Bak

Thai movie.

Unbeleivable fighting. Some serious manouvers

No ropes or anything like that were used for the main actor- He is incredible

Yep this movie is unbelivable, there is a sequel but don't get that, Tony Jaa isn't in it.

There's a 2 disc Ong Bak dvd coming out in August.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Kleptopink

Ong Bak! Stunning fights and no wires... WOW!
    But God love the lead he's as ugly as sin. They could have at least spend some of the budget on getting him braces - oh yeah no wires...

Ong Bak was a far superior film. Great moves and action.

Advertisement