Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Has anyone undertaken film studies?

• 30-03-2005 2:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭

Or to be even more precise, film production on an indepdenent level with DV. I remember seeing some courses listed in my film base mag but I can't find it. Has anybody taken any courses that they can vouch for?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

dlofnep wrote:
    Or to be even more precise, film production on an indepdenent level with DV. I remember seeing some courses listed in my film base mag but I can't find it. Has anybody taken any courses that they can vouch for?

Lump on an aside theres been a couple of previous threads on courses, any chance we could dig one up and make it a sticky, these requests come through every few months.

How long would you like the course to be? Full time or part time? What level of experience do you have, what kind of training do you want?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

I'll have a look now.... OFF I GO... WHOOSSSEEEEEE

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

All I could find is the thread on Fas Courses.... If anyone else has suggestions of threads tell me, I'll sticky them.

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Hey guys.. I found my filmbase book with the courses. Sorry for wasting your time. Just for future reference, here's the list of them for anyone interested.

http://www.filmbase.ie/training/index.html
    Film Foundation Course 9 Weekends
    The film foundation course is run over nine weekends. It will take the participants through the filmmaking process from script to screen. This course culminates in two groups shooting a short film on 16mm. This course is hugely popular so book early to avoid disappointment.
    Cost: €850 waged / €750 unwaged - deposit €200.00
    Dates: 5th / 6th February - 7th/8th May or 24th / 25th September - 10th / 11th December

Digital Foundation Course 9 Weekends
    This foundation course is run over nine weekends. It will take the participants through the filmmaking process from script to screen. This course culminates in two groups shooting a short film on DV. This is a new Filmbase course and has been designed to encourage and develop independent digital filmmaking.
    Cost: €850 waged / €750 unwaged - deposit €200.00
    Date: 25th / 26th June - 10th / 11th September
    No Course 9th /10th July, 30th / 31st July & 20th / 21st Aug

These two courses seem to be the most suiting.. I'm going to go with the Digital Foundation Course. It seems to cover everything I need. I'd also like to go over sound & lighting indepth along with this.. They seem to have those areas covered in other courses too.

Mycroft - My experience is all self taught. I'm by no means an expert in anything but I know a bit of everything. I understand the importance of all levels of production and I'm not really jumping into the deep end. I'd just like some formal training to cover some areas I may not be fully up to par on. I can only afford weekends due to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

dlofnep wrote:
    Mycroft - My experience is all self taught. I'm by no means an expert in anything but I know a bit of everything. I understand the importance of all levels of production and I'm not really jumping into the deep end. I'd just like some formal training to cover some areas I may not be fully up to par on. I can only afford weekends due to work.

I'm not wild about filmbase courses truth be told. I took their final cut pro course a number of years ago, and I signed on under the implication that the course would be on intermediatary to advanced group. People who knew digital editing software, but, didn't know FCP.

For whatever reason I missed the first morning, and I was worried I wouldn't get up to speed. Turns out I'd missed. Capturing and logging footage. I was unimpressed by the tutors experience and the manner the class was taught. I wanted to get indepth training and was taught beginner to intermediate level.

I'm considering applying for one of the After effects courses, but want a some evidence that the course will be up to the level I expect and require. The skill level on some of those courses can be wildly varying, and people can walk away not knowing fundementals.

Just food for thought.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Interesting feedback mycroft.. I like the idea that the end product is that we get to shoot a short. That's vital experience IMO and hopefully I can pick up on some obvious areas in where I may be missing out on.

Hopefully filmbase has come on since your last course? I'm trying to get as much experience as possible.

Advertisement