Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking for info

• 30-03-2001 4:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi, I'm new here, so forgive me if I'm asking a question that might have already been asked.

I want to know just how reliable IP addresses are. Have you found them to ALWAYS be correct? I know you can get around them if you want, but have you found that there can be exact matches.. but be different people?

Thanks for any info you have to offer...

CD

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

well theres a good classic trick if you use irc you can do a dns catch or dns poisin
    with in terms lets you spoof your ip to another ip
    the best way I spoof my ip 32.96.111.130
    thats fbi.gov
    so when the little packet kiddies go packeting me, little do they notice what trouble they're getting into smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 CD

Ok, thanks, but what I really want to know, is, if a bunch of people use the same server, isn't it possilbe that 2 people could have to exact same IP??

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

yes, it is possible
    its also possible for multiple people from different countrys to use the same ip on the InternetRelyChat

they can use open proxys, firewalls and wingates

Thanks OJ,

no, but what made you wonder about it ?
    and how'd you stumble about these boards in Ireland when you're from USA ? confused.gif

• Advertisement

I'm admin on a board where most of the members are from England and Scotland, we have been having a problem, relating to IP addresses. So since you are closer to there than I am, I was just wondering if you had any experience with the same problem.

[This message has been edited by CD (edited 01-04-2001).]

So why am I concidered a sinner now? Just cause I'm looking for info? Thought that was what a forum was about....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭vac

No hes just being nosey smile.gif

naa its cool
    you're no sinner
    anyways it would be quite easy in people replying to a boards forum with the same ip's
    they can jsut use a proxy/wingate in their internet explorier or netscape
    would you mind pasting the IP so i could see if its a public proxy/wingate plese?
    thanks

Ok, here is my direct problem, we have 3 somethings 4 different ID's logging into our forum, the IP's show the exact same number, but one person claims that he only logs in under his own ID. He knows one of the others that comes up with the same IP but swears that they don't use the some computer. Is it possible??? Here is a part of that IP, not going to give the last number. 62.254.64.

Hey, I'll keep the sinner, I kinda like it.

Thanks again...

CD

• Advertisement

Thanks Catch_22

But from what I've been told, they are all on the same server. NTL. But are all using their own computers from their own homes.

CD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭Catch_22

lets say that these users are all at the same comapny or university, chances are that internet access is firewalled, therefore all internal ip's will access externeal resources via a proxy which will send all external requests, therefore to anyone outside the lan all users will appear to have the same ip, that of the proxy

c22

well chances are if its a home ..
    i am taking it that its a cable modem user from NTL yeah ? because of the same IP
    well it *could* be a very small business which has cable that that suits them fine, or else it *could* be a home user that has a few computers, that allows his brothers/sisters to use another computer or the same one they use
    and maybe he recemended your forum site to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 LordKhan

wanna know what IP problems are ... try running a board ... where just about everybody who uses it connects thro the same IP ... now control then becomes a pain in the ass.

Explain to me how everyone can connect through that same IP...... This is my problem...... Too many have the same IP. The exact IP, how can that be, even if you know one person, is not the same as the others..???

Thanks..

CD

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by CD:
    Explain to me how everyone can connect through that same IP...... This is my problem...... Too many have the same IP. The exact IP, how can that be, even if you know one person, is not the same as the others..???</font>

Perhaps you need to read up on NAT (network address translation). Try this link -> http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/0,289893,sid9_gci214107,00.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭yossarin

NAT - or "packet mangling" as it is otherwise known smile.gif

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by yossarin:
    NAT - or "packet mangling" as it is otherwise known smile.gif</font>

Only by Linux muppets who like to give NAT different names.

Advertisement