Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Gatso

Options
  • 30-03-2005 8:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭

Do gasto's always take a picture of every car going by.

It just i was on the chapelizod road today and i knew the gatso was there was doing 40mph in a 50 and the gatso took a picture???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Kaboogie

Those guys watch everything. They can also take close up's of your Tax / Insurance disc and even if you are using a mobile phone.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

There is no Gatso on the Chapelizod road. On the N4 there are two as you approach Dublin - one opposite the Spa Hotel and the other at Islandbridge/Kilmainham inbound (which I believe is used to catch ambler gamblers)

Actually, you are not that L-driver idiot who thought the overtaking lane was the best lane for doing ~50kph this morning? If it was you, then it wasn't a GATSO flashing you - it was me!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Is there a legal requirement that if you have a bicycle rack on the back of your car, say one of the ones that sit on your towbar & as a result, your number plate is obscured, that you somehow mount a temporary licence place on the bike so that it is visible by speed detectors?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

D-! wrote:
    40mph in a 50
    40mph in a 50kph zone is speeding and you have been nicked. They only flash when triggered by cars going over the limit.

@fletch, there is a legal requirement that your number plates meet a certain standard and be clearly legible from the front and rear, but nothing that pertains specifically to bike racks.

'c

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭D-!

sorry i meant 40 kph so i wasnt actually speeding -

A gatso van is one of the VANS - that move around not the fixed ones.
    and no that wasnt me in the bus lane!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭D-!

Kaboogie wrote:
    Those guys watch everything. They can also take close up's of your Tax / Insurance disc and even if you are using a mobile phone.

Actually that could be it - my tax was up the end of feb - i re-taxed it on feb 28 using the internet but did not receive the tax disc in the post so I had to get a R134 form filled out by the guards and get a new one from the tax office - my sister did this yesterday as I was up in dublin yesterday and today - will i get done for this? even though it was paid?

D-! wrote:
    A gatso van is one of the VANS - that move around not the fixed ones.
    and no that wasnt me in the bus lane!
    1. you didn't say van.
    2. you didn't say bus lane (nor did I)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭ubu

Kaboogie wrote:

No they don't.

ubu wrote:
    Kaboogie wrote:

No they don't.
    True - they don't here in the Republic. However in Norn Iron they have vans that they basically park on the side of a dual carriageway or whatever and these are able to check if the car passing them has a valid tax disk. I know this as I have seen them.
    I don't know if they still use them though as throughout the UK they now have a 'better' system for catching motor tax fraud whereby if you don't have a current disk then a fine is automatically sent to the registered address (unless you previously informed them that it is off the road).
    Can't see why they don't bring it in here!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

kbannon wrote:
    True - they don't here in the Republic. However in Norn Iron they have vans that they basically park on the side of a dual carriageway or whatever and these are able to check if the car passing them has a valid tax disk. I know this as I have seen them.
    I don't know if they still use them though as throughout the UK they now have a 'better' system for catching motor tax fraud whereby if you don't have a current disk then a fine is automatically sent to the registered address (unless you previously informed them that it is off the road).
    Can't see why they don't bring it in here!
    They won't becuase no one would put up with it. Imagine the thousands of untaxed tractors out there. The farmers won't pay €80 for a no tax fine.
    What about all those cars etc that were scrapped without any paperwork ever been done. It would be like the poll tax, farmers would go to jail rather than pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

In the Netherlands they do without any form of paper "disc" on or about the car, either for tax or insurance. Everything is indexed through the registration number of the car and the cops can just look you up on their in-car computers and see if you've paid your car tax, or are insured. The collection of motor tax is handled by the taxation authorities, not local councils as it is here, and not paying it can result in some serious fines.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Bond-007 wrote:
    They won't becuase no one would put up with it. Imagine the thousands of untaxed tractors out there. The farmers won't pay €80 for a no tax fine.
    What about all those cars etc that were scrapped without any paperwork ever been done. It would be like the poll tax, farmers would go to jail rather than pay.
    What do you mean "no one" would put up with it? I'd be all for it. If it means putting a few whingeing farmers in jail, then so be it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

bit off topic maybe but funny.
    I was in England a while back staying with friends.
    the rugby team was coming back from a match and they spotted a speed trap van on a local road.
    So they went around to a girl they knew, a blonde, and got her to walk up to the van and strike up a conversation with the boys in blue. While they were distracted one of the team sneaks up to front of the van and removes it's reg plate.
    they then called around to a friend who had the same colour and make of van, bolted the plates on and tore down the road at 90 mph past the speed van.
    They then got the blonde to go by again, as if she was on her way back home again to distractthe boys in blue again , whilst 2 members of the rugby team screwed the plate back on.

Advertisement