Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Last night's Double Chance

Options
  • 30-03-2005 9:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭

Ahh, my traditional weekday thread...who won in the end last night? Went out 7th, which would have been the bubble but for a mini-deal suggested by Joe O'Neill distributing €50 in credit for the April poker fest to 9th, 8th and 7th.

Went out in the BB, it was folded around to the SB who raised 7000, I looked down at 88 and was all-in for 8000 in a flash. He turned over A10s.

River: K J x rainbow Turn: J River: 10

Was relatively happy in the end, I had awful cards all night and just couldn't get anyone to bite when I had anything half decent. My time as shortstack on the second last table consisted of an all-in fest as far as I was concerned, in which I doubled up twice (might have been behind pre-flop both times).

After 5 1/2 hours sleep, the first thing I think of on a weekday morning is 'I am NOT playing poker again tonight!' - but by the time I get to work and am wide awake, I have already modified this thought to: 'I really need sleep, but might pop in for a while...' :) By 8 tonight I will probably be raring to go!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

ionapaul wrote:
    €50 in credit for the April poker fest to 9th, 8th and 7th.

What be this April fest?

god it's been too long since I was in the fitz...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

The Fitz Poker Fest:

http://www.fitzwilliamcardclub.com/news_full.aspx?id=23

I have €150 festival credit so far and the €350 + €35 Double Chance freezeout is calling :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭karlh

thinkin of taking a week off work and playing every tourney. the equivalent of a sex holiday for me!

not quite as good in my book, but tempted to take some time off myself...must get into the fitz over the next couple of weeks and build up my bankroll ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

Myself and Charles, an Asian-American guy (nice chap) split it 60/40. I was happy to do a deal as he had about 3 times my stack.

Marq the dealer came third. Played very well, the blind robber!
    Vivian got 4th. I showed my nasty side when Joe's verbiage finally got the better of me. Need to work on that.

Were u the chap with the unruly jumper? One of 3 people I managed to double up on the 2nd last table.

Anyone who posts here please feel free to introduce themselves to me if they know who I am. Always nice to put a face to a name, even if the names are weird and the faces are ugly.

I'm not a particularly nice person when I'm hunting for chips but then poker isnt a particularly nice hobby. But I try to be courteous to those who are courteous to me. I aplologise if I've not been so to anyone here.

Now Marq, push your unruly elbows in and put your big chips to the front!

:mad: D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Well, you did double me up on the 2nd last table alright, but I wasn't wearing a jumper, unruly or otherwise. I think I sat immediately to your right downstairs - I had by far the smallest stack there and went all-in an amazing (and may I say impressive) amount of times, but no-one was willing to kill me off. The guy with the unruly jumper was the lad who finally knocked me out on the final table.

Well done and nicely played - you seemed a little put off after losing much of your stack on the 2nd last table, and I thought you were going to lose concentration and unload the rest of your chips. You were a little nasty to Joe alright, but I bet he can take it :)

I actually followed your suggestion in a past thread and bought that Zen and the Art of Poker book, looking forward to getting stuck in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭BigDragon

ionapaul wrote:
    Well, you did double me up on the 2nd last table alright, but I wasn't wearing a jumper, unruly or otherwise. I think I sat immediately to your right downstairs - I had by far the smallest stack there and went all-in an amazing (and may I say impressive) amount of times, but no-one was willing to kill me off. The guy with the unruly jumper was the lad who finally knocked me out on the final table.

Well done and nicely played - you seemed a little put off after losing much of your stack on the 2nd last table, and I thought you were going to lose concentration and unload the rest of your chips. You were a little nasty to Joe alright, but I bet he can take it :)

I actually followed your suggestion in a past thread and bought that Zen and the Art of Poker book, looking forward to getting stuck in.

I think you did that last night Paul....about 30 times. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭Marq

Very enjoyable tournament last night, made all the better by the fact that we froze the blinds at 1000 2000 at the final table and never raised them after that. Meant that there was a little play at the final table, though blind theft was still paramount. Well done to Des and Charlie, they both played excellently to get rid of me in third and chop it up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

Does anyone know what happen to the lady that was pushing all in (all night) with such hands as Q2 off or T4 off? One hand she raised 500 with J3 off and was called to the river, she made trips I think :eek:
    everyone at my table was dying to get a monster against her but she got moved shortly after the break!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭NickyOD

azzeretti wrote:
    One hand she raised 500 with J3 off and was called to the river, she made trips

Fear the power of the Camel Ball Licker! :p

• Advertisement

azzeretti wrote:
    Does anyone know what happen to the lady that was pushing all in (all night) with such hands as Q2 off or T4 off? One hand she raised 500 with J3 off and was called to the river, she made trips I think :eek:
    everyone at my table was dying to get a monster against her but she got moved shortly after the break!!

She took most of Devore's chips calling his bluff with ace high and then got busted out on some monkey hand. Never try to bluff someone who has no idea what they are doing! It was funny, but not for Tom!

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭AmarilloFats

ionapaul wrote:

I called H&Figgis and they don't have any Zen and aart of Poker...THe guy said it was out of print...I can order it off Amazon but does anyone know of a walk-in store that have it in stock..

Thanks..

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

She took most of Devore's chips calling his bluff with ace high and then got busted out on some monkey hand. Never try to bluff someone who has no idea what they are doing! It was funny, but not for Tom!
    Yeah, I thought she was mad tight. Boy was *I* wrong. I also lost a ton of chips to Teddy's seemingly unending run of poket Kings and Aces :)
    I was steaming after I blew out of the tournie, I should have done far far better with 10K in chips at that point.

DeV.

I called H&Figgis and they don't have any Zen and aart of Poker...THe guy said it was out of print...I can order it off Amazon but does anyone know of a walk-in store that have it in stock..

Thanks..

It's not out of print. We've sold five copies of it and will have another ten in next week. I will locate them and put them on the shelves and then post here, probably next Monday. They don't know how to use the system, we just sold 5 last week. I'll post about it, the Harrington book and Super System2 next week when they'll be back in stock.
    Sorry man, D.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭AmarilloFats

Ah cheers Doc..
    Yeah pot it or PM me when they get in next week.
    Ta again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭PPP-Pit Boss

Opinions please with regard to the pro's and con's of this type of tournament structure. I am told you may choose to take only half your stack to the table and then rebuy the other half? Is that correct? What do you feel are the benefits of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭willis

Main benefit is that you can afford to make 1 mistake and get your rebuy free.If everyone took their rebuy at the start of the game for example and your pocket kings ran into pocket aces well then youll lose all your chips,whereas in this game you can only lose your starting chips and so get the other half when something like this happens.Very much a tournie which caters for peolple like myself as €50 not too steep and at least you dont have the gamblefest which sometimes occurs in the rebuy events.

willis wrote:
    Main benefit is that you can afford to make 1 mistake and get your rebuy free.If everyone took their rebuy at the start of the game for example and your pocket kings ran into pocket aces well then youll lose all your chips,whereas in this game you can only lose your starting chips and so get the other half when something like this happens.Very much a tournie which caters for peolple like myself as €50 not too steep and at least you dont have the gamblefest which sometimes occurs in the rebuy events.

I think in the long run you'd be better off making a double buy in and using your chips to your advantage. Yes in one tournament you can lose it all on a bad beat and not be able to buy back, but you can also miss out on valuable chips which would give yout he oportunity to go deep in the tournament.

I think it's a lot like cash games. A lot of players like to sit down at a cash game without the maximum buyin and then buy back in if they get beaten.

For me I always sit down with the max allowed, I prefer to be optimistic and think how much more I'll win when I bet everything I have and get called :D

In short take it all at the start!

Opinions please with regard to the pro's and con's of this type of tournament structure. I am told you may choose to take only half your stack to the table and then rebuy the other half? Is that correct? What do you feel are the benefits of this?

Great structure, good fun, u can fcuk up once and since its going to be used in the big one at the end of the month, it's well worth trying out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭BigDragon

Great structure, good fun, u can fcuk up once and since its going to be used in the big one at the end of the month, it's well worth trying out.

The e350 at the Pokerfest will have this structure. Hence my first go on Tuesday. Reasonable price too.

Iago wrote:
    I think it's a lot like cash games. A lot of players like to sit down at a cash game without the maximum buyin and then buy back in if they get beaten.

For me I always sit down with the max allowed, I prefer to be optimistic and think how much more I'll win when I bet everything I have and get called :D

In short take it all at the start!

Exactly. No experienced cash game player sits down without the max buy in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭PPP-Pit Boss

Hmm I can however see the pitfall of sitting there with the absolute nuts facing two all in's (FULL STACK) and me with my strategic half stack and a kleenex ;0)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

Defo my favorite tourney, it eleminates all the MADNESS that is associated with the rebuy tournies!!

Advertisement