Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stone facing - Which stone to use?

Options
  • 30-03-2005 9:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭

Hi All

I'm building a house later this year and would like to use stone to face the front. Does anyone know of good websites with photos of stone houses to give me an idea of what to go for? I would like a flat light grey, preferably natural, stone. All recommendations appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Welcome to boards lad and to the DIY section.
    We are stone facing our hut (45 sq metres). We are building a timber frame and considered Roadstones Hallmark, have a look at their website for pictures. It looks well and is built like block but stone faced. The reason we left it was that our blocklayer said that if the stone was not pointed correctly there could be a possibility of water seeping into the timber.
    We then looked at prefabricated stone, Broadstone (did not return a quote) and Fernhill. Fernhill is a nice stone, real looking but the more I see it the less real it looks but in fairness I know an awful lot of people who have been fooled.
    We got a quote of 120 euro per sq meter supply and installed, worked out at 5400 Euro, I was suprised at how costly it was so I said I would chance a few quotes at real stone but expected mad prices.
    I loved the look of Lacken stone (creamy/grey stone, I have pics if you want). I got a quote of 750 euro from the quarry for the stone, delivered. Then for the stone mason it was quotes of 65, 70, 75, 95, 100, 125 euro per sq meter. Big difference. Based on work seen and references I will be getting the lad for 70 euro cash, lovely work he does, so it will cost 3150 euro for labour + 750 for material total will be about 4k, big difference!

Gluck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭sentenel

Hi
    I used this crowd Manor Stone they were excellent for stone on my house

FRONT.jpg

cheers
    joe

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

sentenel wrote:
    Hi
    I used this crowd Manor Stone they were excellent for stone on my house

FRONT.jpg

cheers
    joe

Fine House Joe.

The pic of the stone your mano built is attached.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭edengarden

Thanx a mil guys - given me some idea where to start looking!

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭thetourist

you could try fernhill stone for imitation stone - it's actually so realistic it's brilliant ( an i normally hate imitation anything )

fernhillstone.com i think

was at manor stone - they have a very impressive showcase area - good enough for a bit of a family trip

if you can you shoud use a local stone ( or one from far away that looks like a local stone - whatever ) -- tends to blend in a lot better

be advised bloclayers wont always lay stone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭oldhead

yop wrote: »
    Fine House Joe.

The pic of the stone your mano built is attached.

Well, how are things, just looking for stone myself. that stone looks class. Very well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 afaphoenix

Does anybody out there ever hear of pat griffin roscommon stone mason
    is he very expensive and is his work good
    Dave

Advertisement