Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Small Car round up

Options
  • 30-03-2005 10:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭

alright, Currently have a VW passat, wife is the main driver on the insurance policy as the price was crazy for me to be the main. Anyway, we are keeping the Passat and are looking a a small car that I will be insured on as the policy holder.

im spending up to 2k and looking at the following, all around 95,96 year:

Polo 1l
    Starlet 1l
    Colt 1l
    121 1l

just wondering if anyone has any reccomendations or experiences they would like to share? Wont be getting a civic or micra for image reasons! (yes its retarded) Id like a corolla but neet to stick to 1l for economical and insurance reasons.

My gut is to go for the polo, but the brakes aint too heafty in them.

lastly, could I rip the back seats out of the polo and do the neccasary to convert it into a "van" to save on insurance? This car will very seldom have more than one person in it.
    any advice appriciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Hate to disappoint you, but out of the cars listed, only the polo was available as a 1l in 95-96, all of the others are 1.3. Other 1l cars from aroumd that time frame are the nissan micra, seat ibiza and peugeot 106.

You should ring around for quotes before deciding you can't go slightly higher in size.

A thrashed 1l won't be any more or less economical than a 1.3 which you won't tend to thrash as much.

As for the van idea, why not just buy a van?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

im spending up to 2k and looking at the following, all around 95,96 year:

Polo 1l
    Starlet 1l
    Colt 1l
    121 1l

How about a Seat Ibiza (post 95)? Polo mechanicals, but a lot more fun.
    http://www.cbg.ie/Car_detail.asp?CBGID=280320&ID=16720815&frmFilter=

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

@ alias, i agree on the thrashed 1l, and the van idea is a very obvious one that I hadn't thought of!

@ ds20prefecture, good call on the pug and the seat, I forgotten about those.

bril, loads of ideas already!

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

Also consider a Ford Fiesta 1.25l I had a 96 Fiesta with the 1.25L zetec engine, it was quite econimical and a really nice handling car with very sharp solid steering and a nice short gear change.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

As already stated the Starlet was 1.3 only from about 94 onwards due to having a cat converter fitted.

The Mazda 121 was only available in 1.25 or 1.3

The Mits Colt is available only in 1.3.

The Polo is the only one available in 1.0 but doesn't have power steering.

Did you look at the Ford Fiesta? They are identical to the Mazda 121 but are more popular. You could pick up a 95 or 96 one on your budget. The pick of the bunch is the 1.25 Ghia or Zetec model as the 1.25 is a Yamaha designed engine and is very refined even by today's standards. Avoid the 1.3 as it originate's back to the 1950s Ford Anglia. The Fiesta is a good little car and seems ideal for your situation, lots of them about and the mechanics and parts are easy and cheap to maintain.

The pre 95 Fiesta was available in 1.1 form which may suit your pocket. Take a look at something like this:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carid=215906

Also another car to look at is the Opel Corsa which is similar to the Fiesta and there are plenty about the place. I'm not a fan of them but if you want easy cheap a to b transport it is hard to ignore them.

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=217302

Another one to look at is the Nissan Micra which is very durable and comes in 1.0 and from 1993 onwards had power steering as standard. Very reliable and quite roomy for its size and the 16v engine was very nippy.

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=184134

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

bazz26 wrote:

Another one to look at is the Nissan Micra which is very durable and comes in 1.0 and from 1993 onwards had power steering as standard. Very reliable and quite roomy for its size and the 16v engine was very nippy.

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=184134

I'll give you one identical to that for €2,500 in about 2/3 months if you decide to forget about image :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

the zetec sounded good until i had a look at honestjohn.co.uk

too many potential problems that seem to be common and costly to fix. Micra's are a great car ill admit, but neither I nor my wife would drive one! Silly, but thats the way it is.

glad you pointed out the 1l polo's lack of PS, a major consideration in city driving which is where it will be used mostly.

got a quote from hibernian for 970 full comp on a 1l ibiza for both of us, happy days.

im leaning towards, the ibiza for now........... but are they a theft magnet?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The Ibiza is hardly a thief magnet but beware it more than likely will not have power steering either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

bazz26 wrote:
    The Ibiza is hardly a thief magnet but beware it more than likely will not have power steering either.

Ibiza's had PS from '98 on, I believe. Steering is VERY heavy without, but has lots of feel and it's only an issue when parking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭camarobill

had a polo a few years ago,i had no trouble with it and it held its money very well,sure its a vw ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement