Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Scam?

Options
  • 30-03-2005 10:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭

OK have an advertisement for a car for sale....advertised on boards here as well.....got an email off this bloke looking for pics so I sent them off.....anyway got this reply this morning

Greetings,
    Everything sounds well concerning the car and after viewing the pics am okay with condition and with the prize €5000 and am willing to offer you €5,500 so I would want you to keep other buyer's off. Concerning payment I have a friend who is ready to issue you a Banker's Draft. For convinient and easy shipping, I have a liable shipping agent who'd be responsible for the shipping as soon as you receive payment for the Car. I will therefore need the following information of yours to forward to my friend before he sends the draft.
    NAME IN FULL........
    ADDRESS IN FULL
    COUNTRY..........
    ZIPCODE........
    CELL/OFFICE/HOME PHONE NUMBER.......
    I await your soonest reply .

REGARDS
    KENNY WHITE
    BENZ AUTOMOTIVE COMPANY
    benzz_autos@yahoo.com

Signs all this emails as above.....like I don't know this is the biggest scam ever. So I replied telling him I want the bankers draft and won't give him car till it clears. See what he replys if they even do......

Just to warn you anyway.......SCAM

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

thouyght you wanted to know if it is or not....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

IIRC, part of the scam is that the draft does actually clear..................initally

But them two weeks later, the bank catch on, revoke the funds and you are left high and dry :(

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

So how does it work then? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Big Nelly wrote:
    OK have an advertisement for a car for sale....advertised on boards here as well.....got an email off this bloke looking for pics so I sent them off.....anyway got this reply this morning

Greetings,
    Everything sounds well concerning the car and after viewing the pics am okay with condition and with the prize €5000 and am willing to offer you €5,500 so I would want you to keep other buyer's off. Concerning payment I have a friend who is ready to issue you a Banker's Draft. For convinient and easy shipping, I have a liable shipping agent who'd be responsible for the shipping as soon as you receive payment for the Car. I will therefore need the following information of yours to forward to my friend before he sends the draft.
    NAME IN FULL........
    ADDRESS IN FULL
    COUNTRY..........
    ZIPCODE........
    CELL/OFFICE/HOME PHONE NUMBER.......
    I await your soonest reply .

REGARDS
    KENNY WHITE
    BENZ AUTOMOTIVE COMPANY
    benzz_autos@yahoo.com

Signs all this emails as above.....like I don't know this is the biggest scam ever. So I replied telling him I want the bankers draft and won't give him car till it clears. See what he replys if they even do......

Just to warn you anyway.......SCAM

Run, run for the hills. It would be terrible if this person's e-mail address ended up being signed up for spam or something just for time wasting, not that I am in any way encouraging this. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Banjo013

Basically it works like this :-

1. Person advertises car for 5,000

2. "Buyer" (usually based outside Ireland) offers knockdown price (5,500 here) - seller is hooked

3. Buyer says he has friend in Ireland who owes him 8,000. The "friend" will send the 8,000 cheque to the seller

4. Buyer asks seller to keep back the 5,500 for the car and send the other 2,500 on to him asap - as a favour. Buyer will arrange delivery/collection later.

5. Cheque for 8,000 arrives on sellers door mat. Seller lodges cheque, withdraws 2,500 and sends on to buyer**

6. Buyer is never heard from again

7. Cheque bounces a week later. Bank claws back the value of the cheque (8,000) from the sellers bank account. Because 2,500 was sent off to the buyer, the seller is now in debt to the bank to the tune of 2,500

8. Buyer has a safe 2,500 in his pocket. Seller owes 2,500 to his bank and has no come-back

** This assumes that the bank makes the value of the cheque available for withdrawal immediately. Sometimes this doesn't happen - the cheque has to clear first before the funds become available. However other times the funds are available immediately, and the bank claws them back if the cheque eventually bounces.

• Advertisement

Ok thanks for that, the bit about the cheque for 8k isn't in that mail :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

cormie wrote:
    Ok thanks for that, the bit about the cheque for 8k isn't in that mail :rolleyes:
    Nope - but the draft may clear and be clawed back after the car is gone...

Big Nelly should ask for CASH.

Or else he should ask for the cheque, hold on to it for a few week, when buyer get in touch big nelly could then bull about him tracing the origin of the cheque and that he wants €20K not to report him to the authoritie. It's a long shot.

Then Big Nelly can give me 2.5K for the idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

cormie wrote:
    Or else he should ask for the cheque, hold on to it for a few week, when buyer get in touch big nelly could then bull about him tracing the origin of the cheque and that he wants €20K not to report him to the authoritie. It's a long shot.

Then Big Nelly can give me 2.5K for the idea.

Haha! worth a try.....he was replying pretty quick to other emails but once I sent back last reply about wiating for money to clear before the car left me he hasn't replied....wonder did I put the sh**s up him....lol....

Pure scam from what I can see.....wont deal with cash and only wants that Bank Draft......

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I have gotten a load of these emails since including my email address on my advert in CBG - I got a bit annoyed at first, but then replied using this site as inspiration

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Phryxus

eoin_s wrote:
    I have gotten a load of these emails since including my email address on my advert in CBG - I got a bit annoyed at first, but then replied using this site as inspiration

did you follow the link at the bottom of that page?

there was one scam there where the scammer got scammed for 200 US
    I know scamming a scammer is still theft but fair play none the less

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Just got this from another spanner head

Greetings Neil Brady ,
    thanks for the mail. I would be willing to pay the deposit of 1500 euros for
    the CAR right now ,concerning buying your pups,my client mr
    fabian costa in IRELAND is oweing me 5600 euros which I WOULD
    INSTURCT HIM TO SEND THE IRISH BANK DRAFT CHECK ON MY
    BEHALF ,
    he would need your full name , contact address and phone number , so
    that payment can be sent to you at your door step , you would then
    have the cheque cashed and collect the deposit MONEY for the CAR and have
    the rest of the money sent to my shipping agent western
    union money transfer SO THAT he would be at your location in very
    good time for the full inspection of the CAR and the rest of your money would be giving to you in cash before shippment of the CAR would commence.
    I hope this is ok with you.
    I hope to hear form you soon.
    van richARD

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

Juses Christ Man Run A Mile From This! I Fell Victim To This Very Fraud Last Year And It Cost Me €5,500 In Debt With The Bank! And I Was Only Selling My P.c.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Juses Christ Man Run A Mile From This! I Fell Victim To This Very Fraud Last Year And It Cost Me €5,500 In Debt With The Bank! And I Was Only Selling My P.c.

Do tell.............

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

eoin_s wrote:
    I got a bit annoyed at first, but then replied using this site as inspiration

Sweet Jesus I made the mistake of reading through this on my laptop while in the college library .... tears streaming down my face I was laughing so hard but trying to keep it in at the same time :D

"minor problem the engine has a fist sized hole where piston number three exited the block at 14,000rpm, still interested in buying? Yes yes no problem only minor as you say just send me your details"

Brilliant stuff :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Bluehair wrote:
    Sweet Jesus I made the mistake of reading through this on my laptop while in the college library .... tears streaming down my face I was laughing so hard but trying to keep it in at the same time :D

"minor problem the engine has a fist sized hole where piston number three exited the block at 14,000rpm, still interested in buying? Yes yes no problem only minor as you say just send me your details"

Brilliant stuff :)

Sadly I never got any replies to the emails I sent back - was hoping to get back some like above...

Advertisement