Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bubba Ho-Tep - best movie since Donnie Darko..

• 30-03-2005 10:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,757 ✭✭✭

Quite possibly the most brilliantly ridiculous movie ever made...
    Loads of fun and kinda touching....

What do peeps think?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

wasnt that impressed.
    bit off key but no stand out moment imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

Great opportunity wasted.

Such a shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

It took me two attempts to get into this one. Wasn't in the 'right mood' on my first viewing and switched it off half an hour in, very disappointed. I wasn't sure what to expect from the film, but it wasn't what I got.

Watched it since though and really enjoyed it. By no means perfect but you simply can't deny it's charm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭JacoStanley

It was brilliant. Gonna pick it up on thursday. His opening script is hilarious and his delivery is exceptional all the time. I've had this on where I work and the more I watch it, the better it becomes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

smokingman wrote:
    Quite possibly the most brilliantly ridiculous movie ever made...
    Loads of fun and kinda touching....

What do peeps think?

Nice to see the only great film is an offbeat american indy flick bridgade still marchs on.

I thought it was just a bit tedious. It's barely 90m long, and if you ditched some of the more dubious and overlong timelaspes, the overlong and over laboured elvis flash backs, the painfully unfunny bits with the guys out to the hearse, and you could shave some more off it.

Essentially what could have been a very funny series 3 or 4 episode of the X-Files, (mulder and scully investigate mysterious nursing home deaths, meet crazy elvis, and black jfk, fighting an anicent mummy, class) is dragged out using some crap effects, and constant going back to flash backs, that are longer than necessary

I wanted to like this film, and charitably I think its just okay, but needed either tighter writing, or it's just a over long shaggy dog story.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Glipmac

Darn Right it is a WICKED movie, not best Bruce ' Don't Call Me Ash' Campbell movie but still a cheesey classic to me

Loved it all the way through

Kimosabi - Great Guy!

Glipmac :rolleyes: :cool:

Best Quote "Pharoh Gobbles donkey balls, While Cleopatra does the nasty"

You just cannot beat that :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

It was good, but there was a lot it lacked. You got to see Reggie Bannister for all of 30 seconds ffs! Some decent dialogue between him and Campbell would've fleshed out the film considerably. I think it lumbers along because the entire film is fixed solely on Elvis and JFK, with very little of anyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

I liked it quite a lot! There were parts where it dragged, but on the whole I really enjoyed it.
    Fecking weird though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Goodshape wrote:
    It took me two attempts to get into this one. Wasn't in the 'right mood' on my first viewing and switched it off half an hour in, very disappointed. I wasn't sure what to expect from the film, but it wasn't what I got.

Watched it since though and really enjoyed it. By no means perfect but you simply can't deny it's charm.
    same here. i just couldn't get into it on my first attempt.

glad i gave it a second chance though. top notch tackle :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭solo1

I really liked it. It took a while to take off but, and there is a wonderful message about how expendable old people are ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,757 ✭✭✭smokingman

bit more of a noble death than sitting on a crapper with a burgur in one hand and pills in the other.....

With so many people/nutbags thinking Elvis is still alive there was bound to be something like this coming out but I never thought something could be that weird...top marks for the concept!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

smokingman wrote:
    bit more of a noble death than sitting on a crapper with a burgur in one hand and pills in the other.....

With so many people/nutbags thinking Elvis is still alive there was bound to be something like this coming out but I never thought something could be that weird...top marks for the concept!

Shame about the execution......

Advertisement