Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish boss defends 'meaningless' friendly

• 30-03-2005 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭

Irish boss Brian Kerr insists the friendly with China served its purpose

Wednesday, March 30 2005 9:48
    Following last night's 1-0 victory over China, Ireland manager Brian Kerr has hit out at critics who have questioned the decision to play what appeared to be a meaningless friendly.

If this game had been played prior to Saturday's World Cup qualifier against Israel in Tel Aviv then it would have served as a beneficial warm up. However critics have claimed that the match served little purpose.

The game itself was a dour affair marked by a distinct lack of intensity and, but for scorer Clinton Morrison, it was a match that will not live long in the memory.

However, Kerr insisted that there were plenty of positives to take from the game and claimed that it gave him a much needed chance to try out new things and give the fringe players of his squad a chance to prove themselves.

The Irish boss said: "It gave us the opportunity to look at players who have not had chances, yet have been very honest in their commitment. We made six changes to the starting line-up, while we got another three players onto the pitch who didn't play on Saturday."

"I think we used the squad well, which keeps everybody happy and feeling they are in with a chance of playing and considered as a worthwhile person within the group," he added.

"Clinton's confidence will have improved, while Stephen Elliott at 21 has another game under his belt, as has Paddy Kenny, along with Alan Maybury who had not played since the (friendly) game in Holland."

"Andy O'Brien played with Richard Dunne for half a game when we've not had a chance to play that combination before. Then there was Liam Miller who had a good second half despite the fact he has not been playing an awful lot of football, but he gave us a bit of dash when he came into the game."

"So, from my personal point of view, there were a lot of positives, and from the players' point of view, you can see the spirit and morale is there in the squad."

The performance of Morrison was one of the big bonuses from the game and despite his lack of first team football at Birmingham, Morrison once again proved his worth scoring an exquisite 82nd-minute winner.

Despite being relegated to fourth-choice striker at St Andrews following the transfer window signings of Walter Pandiani and Robbie Blake, Morrison has now scored four goals in his last six games for Ireland.

However, Kerr beleives that the lack of first-team football with Birmingham may eventually hurt Morrison's international chances. "He is on a good run, although I would like him to be playing more often than he is," he said.

"I said on Saturday night that I didn't think he was as sharp as he could be and like he was before the transfer deadline when Birmingham signed Pandiani and Blake. Clinton was then playing regularly with Heskey and I thought his form then was the best I had seen him in for his club."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Kone wrote:
    "Andy O'Brien played with Richard Dunne for half a game when we've not had a chance to play that combination before. Then there was Liam Miller who had a good second half despite the fact he has not been playing an awful lot of football, but he gave us a bit of dash when he came into the game."

I'm getting a bit worried about Kerr tbh. He's starting to turn into a bit of a waffler and a spoofer, which is something I thought wouldn't ever happen. For example Dunne and O'Brien played 30 mins together against Portugal just 2 games ago so if I can remember that much and he can't then he must be grasping at straws.

Plus from reading the papers when the 'pitch' starts becoming an excuse it really starts alarm bells ringing in my head. Last time I checked there was two teams out there playing in those conditions and last time I checked Ireland have played almost exclusively at Lansdowne for 35 years now and are well aware that the pitch isn't always gonna be in top condition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

TBF, Kav and the Stapleton said the same thing. Stapleton said the groundsman must have been on his Easter holidays while Kavanagh was trying to make it clear he wasn't making excuses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

eirebhoy wrote:
    while Kavanagh was trying to make it clear he wasn't making excuses.
    And he then went on to make the excuse about the pitch
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭colster

seansouth wrote:
    And he then went on to make the excuse about the pitch
    :D

a bad pitch always favours the defensive side. defending is easier when the passing is slow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

The timing of the game was wrong, we should have got it before Israel. But we need these meaningless friendlies. The FAI has no real income tbf. They are crap to watch but its the its a half decent source of income. Plus its the only real chance kids etc have an oppurtunity have a chance to see Ireland play (and win : p).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Pigman II wrote:
    last time I checked Ireland have played almost exclusively at Lansdowne for 35 years now and are well aware that the pitch isn't always gonna be in top condition.

Was 1987 35 years ago? Damn that was a long nap I just took

Draupnir wrote:
    Was 1987 35 years ago? Damn that was a long nap I just took

In that case you should probably go back to sleep until further notice. Ireland have played 85% of their home games at Lansdowne since 1971 (91% of their home qualifiers).

Why you bring 1987 into it I don't know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

85% is hardly almost exclusive now is it. we played loads of games in the eighties at dalymount

Draupnir wrote:
    85% is hardly almost exclusive now is it. we played loads of games in the eighties at dalymount

Well if 85% isn't 'almost exclusive' then the SEVEN times we played at Dalymount between 1980-89 is hardly 'loads'.

Advertisement