Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flush??

Options
  • 30-03-2005 12:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭

i was just wondering whats the way to go about a flush?

If i had two cards e.g. jh 7h and pay a small amount to see the flop

flop: ah 7c qh

and a player (not me) goes all in what should i do here call him? if ive more cash do i reraise to scare oters off? are the odds likely that i will hit a heart on the turn or river? is it worth the gamble when the other player could have the kh?

and say i did have the kh 7h is it still worth the call of all in?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭NickyOD

The trick to figuring out the approximate percentage chance of hitting the flush is to multiply your outs times the number of chances to hit it. In this case that would be nine outs multiplied by two chances, or eighteen. Then take that number, multiply times two, and add a percentage sign. The approximate percentage of the time you will make the flush is 36%. (The exact percentage is 34.97%.)

If the amount you have to call is a larger % when compared to the total value of the pot then you should fold. i.e. if you are getting less than 35% then you have correct odds to draw to your flush. If the flop was say 2h 5h 9c and you have Ah Jh you are getting better pot odds because you also have overcards which if you hit may give you the best hand so in this case you can call if the % is larger, but that really all depends on what hand you put your opoent on.

One important thing to keep in mind is that the percentage stated is merely the percentage of the time that you will hit the hand you are drawing to, NOT the percentage of time that you will win the pot. You may hit your hand and still lose. In your example, the 7h will pair the board and may give somebody a full house.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

DeV or Hector will be able to tell you the odds of this happening, I'll tell you what I think it is though(if only so DeV can laugh and point out my mistakes:D)

You have 9 cards that will give you the flush 13 spades minus the two in your hand and the two on the board you've about a 20% (5:1 or thereabouts) chance of catching your card on the turn. Similar chance on the river, but it increases to around 35% i think.......whether you call or not depends on what your going to win..

if you're being asked to put €10 in the pot to win €100 then you should call because you're being given 10:1 odds to hit your 5:1 shot.

If you're being asked to put €20 in to win €50 then you should fold because you're only getting 5:2 odds to hit your 5:1 shot

If I was going to play I'd flat call and let others in for another card, you're assuming that you have the best of it if you hit your flush. If you raise you're putting more value in the pot for someone with the K to call anyway..

I was a bit pi$$ed off in an MTT last night and I made a call like this, I normally wouldn't but I was tired and decided I was either going to win this hand and play to win the tourney or go to bed.

Flop had 2 clubs and I was holding Ac6c, 3 players went all-in before me for 2.5k, 5.5K and 3K respectively. I had 3.5K and didn't really need to be involved (blinds were only 50-100) but I was being asked for 3.5 to win just over 13K so it was just on the wrong side of a positive EV call but close enough to make it a reasonable call under the circumstances (i.e. I was willing to go out anyway) as it happens I didn't hit anything and 3 J's took the lot.**

The point is you have to calculate the odds of you hitting your card against the pot odds you're being offered, if the pot odds are better call, if they're worse fold.

[size=-12]**Disclaimer: Yes I know it was a stupid move and no kids I don't recommend you try this at home. [/size]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

Iago wrote:
    You have 9 cards that will give you the flush 13 spades minus the two in your hand and the two on the board you've about a 20% (5:1 or thereabouts) chance of catching your card on the turn. Similar chance on the river, but it increases to around 35% i think.......whether you call or not depends on what your going to win..

if you're being asked to put €10 in the pot to win €100 then you should call because you're being given 10:1 odds to hit your 5:1 shot.

20% is 4:1 on the turn.
    about the same again on the river if you miss the turn.
    Turn/River combined....slightly better than 2:1
    As was said already...make sure your drawing to win :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

damn stumpy fingers! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 lordofthetilt

errrr. what they said!!!!

I'd get 'the theory of poker' by Sklansky as well. Not just when to call with flush draws but the equally important question of when to raise them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭henbane

You may find this guide to odds useful.

Advertisement