Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tripped up...

Options
  • 30-03-2005 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭

Any advice on avoiding the following;

Cash Game
    66 in EP
    I raise 10xBB
    Scares off all except 1 caller

Flop 762
    I move all-in (straight draw a worry)

Called by 99

Turn is a 9 :(

On reflection, perhaps it would have been better to have checked and flat called any raise, but as I say the straight draw was a worry...

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

imo you played well and just got unlucky. You'd win that more often than not. I certainly would not have played it any different.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭karlh

MadsL wrote:
    Any thoughts?

don't raise 10xBB in EP with 66!?

depending on the stakes you could even be pot committing yourself if you get a caller! :)

unlucky for him to spike the 9, but a bad beat seems to be the least of your worries....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭bmc

What's there to worry about?

It couldn't have gone any better for you (except of course for the 9 turning up). You had a caller and you were way ahead. Dream of those moments!

10 times the BB preflop though on 66? Not so sure about that. Depends on image etc. though so no other comment.

karlh wrote:
    don't raise 10xBB in EP with 66!?
    Depends on your stack

ApeXaviour wrote:
    Depends on your stack

Covered in "etc."

:D

• Advertisement

ApeXaviour wrote:
    Depends on your stack

its a cash game.

karlh wrote:
    its a cash game.

Call it bankroll so!

:D

it depends on your bankroll.

karlh wrote:
    its a cash game.
    True..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

very big raise with 66...in a cash game you should be playing for value, limp or min raise and if you don't hit your set throw them away.

On the flop I wouldn't be worried about a straight, who calls a 10*bb raise with 45 or 89?

check, call, bet the turn...

my point, which i thought was obvious, is that if you are big stacked in a tourney, you could justify this as a bullying, early raise/semibluff/steal. there is no way a 10xBB raise with a pair of 6s is anything but that.....

in a cash game, unless you are seriously trying to mix it up and get people guessing in a potentially expensive way, why bother!?....show a cheaper bluff, touch up the dealer....whatever....

Pokar simply punished you for being cheeky in the first place IMO :D

• Advertisement

No, your point is pretty straight forward - and accepted.

I'd happilly say that depending on your style and stack/bankroll in whichever game there are situations where a big raise with 66 can be justified.

I do however consent that 10x is not a big raise but rather a very big raise.

i just know next time i pick up 66 i'm gonna throw in a 'Madsl special' and see what happens :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

10 x BB raises with Pocket 66 is a slap-forehead move for me. I limp with small PP and bet out if I hit trips. You may not win big, but more times than not you will win, or get out cheaply. Your Post flop play was fine, sometimes you just get shafted.

I'm guessing that the villian thought you were on a steal with that pre-flop raise. If I were him, I'd have folded to the all-in, unless I thought you were bluffing. Still, you do see some muppet **** in cash games. Tight-Agressive is how to play them.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭AmarilloFats

Whats wrong wit ha 10BB raise pre flop..??? playing Empire the other days I had 750BB stack and 3 others had in excess of 500BB...the starting values of hands changes dramatically.And its a post flop game.I was raising with all pocket pairs. So raising 10BB with 66 is a fine play if you and your opponents are deeped stacked

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

Deep stacked games are always a little different. 10 x BB in this case is not an overbet, yer dead right. Any smaller and you won't scare off everyone.

However, in the long run, betting more than 5 x BB preflop with small PP (<77) costs you money. In deep stacked games, you simply don't notice that your losing money, but you still are. I have found that limping in with them and betting when hitting is more profitable than pre-flop re-raises, which more-a-less compel you to bet out on the flop.

I use the old axiom - "No set, no bet!".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

If you have 66 then you should always make it 6 preflop, its the same for 55 or 77 (ie 5 or 7). If you hit your set you should bet the rank of your card squared, so 36 if you hit a set of 6's. I have never failed to flop a set whilst doing this, and both times won huge pots.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

If you have 66 then you should always make it 6 preflop, its the same for 55 or 77 (ie 5 or 7). If you hit your set you should bet the rank of your card squared, so 36 if you hit a set of 6's. I have never failed to flop a set whilst doing this, and both times won huge pots.

Poker Post of the Month :D

i wish to subscribe to your newsletter :D

Advertisement