Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I use an American DVD Remote in Irish X-Box?

• 30-03-2005 1:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭

My sister lives in the US and is coming home next week. She has bought a bunch of DVD's for my kids that you can't get here. Problem is that our DVD player is not Multi-Region.

I seem to remember reading somewhere (can't find it now that I want to see it again...) that the X-Box is inherently Region Free, and is only locked to a specific region after you plug in the DVD Remote Control Dongle for a specific region and play a disk from that region.

So I was thinking that I'd ask my sister to pick up a US X-Box DVD remote control pack before she comes home, then plug it into my X-Box and play the kids DVD's through my console.

Has anyone any experience in doing this before?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Although I cant confirm it - I also heard that the dongle dictates the region of the xbox for dvd playback. Once you insert the dongle for the first time it update the EEPROM on the box

Hyzepher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

The Xbox come region free. Whatever region dongle you plug into it first is the region it will be set to. This can not be changed once a dongle has been inserted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭dancin

Sweet, thanks gents. If you have done this before, can you confirm this does not mess with the game playing of the system and I can still play my existing games?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭elmer

i did it out of curiousity - provided there has never been a remote plugged in it'll set the xbox to region 1 - the game stuff is unaffected.

However, if a remote has been put in before it'll be whatever region the remote was

I've a region 1 remote I could let go in case it's too late or she forgets

Nige

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭dancin

elmer wrote:
    i did it out of curiousity - provided there has never been a remote plugged in it'll set the xbox to region 1 - the game stuff is unaffected.

However, if a remote has been put in before it'll be whatever region the remote was

I've a region 1 remote I could let go in case it's too late or she forgets

Nige

Thanks elmer, nice to know the games will be fine. Have asked my sister to look into getting a remote. Will give you a shout about yours if she forgets or has problems getting it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement