Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Patenting

• 30-03-2005 1:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I thought this would be a good place to ask about getting patents. I have an idea that is basically a web-based service. I need to know how I go about "owning" the idea. First I will have to find out obviously if someone else has patented it. How do I do this? Then after doing that, if it has not already been patented, I will have to get a (preferrably worldwide) patent on it, how much does this cost, and how long does it take?

Also, what is the best way to make the most out of a good idea? I know its quite a vague question, but Im sure you know what I mean!

Regards
    -Cian

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭themole

hmm, sounds like a software patent or business model, neither of which are patentable in europe.

japan and the us both allow patenting of business models. so you are prob only interested in filing patents in these countries.

if thats not the case the general costs of a worldwide patent are:
    first filing 2-3K, further costs around 30-50K

time scale around 18 months.

this is info i got from a talk i was at, i'm no expert. but patents are costly.

a patent search in the us costs around $250. i think you can search the db yourself, not sure.

one very important thing as far as being able to get a patent is novelty. if you tell anyone about your idea, and they make it public, before making the initial filing your patent will be rejected.

if your in dublin you could call into the ucd nova centre. they host campus companies and should be able to give you advice on patent filing.

Advertisement