Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any word from UTV on the Speed Increase?

• 30-03-2005 1:57pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Seeing as they are only a reseller I'm sure their service will increase in speed at the same time as the others, but it would be nice to get that confirmed and also any increase in caps etc. I'm getting mightly pissed off with UTV these days. Their support has gone down the crapper and the whole line rental issue is a pain too. I need to know if it's worth upgrading to Clicksilver Plus to avail of the 2Mbit/s speed.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

LFCFan wrote:
    Seeing as they are only a reseller I'm sure their service will increase in speed at the same time as the others, but it would be nice to get that confirmed and also any increase in caps etc. I'm getting mightly pissed off with UTV these days. Their support has gone down the crapper and the whole line rental issue is a pain too. I need to know if it's worth upgrading to Clicksilver Plus to avail of the 2Mbit/s speed.

Hello.

Im not to sure if this topic is gonna get locked, thought I saw a few topics about it around..

Apparently not, there keeping very quiet about it if they are. Carl on the newsgroup said she couldnt confirm it anyway. Seems unlikely!

- Sully

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

They will have too. If they dont then alot of people will just leave them. I'm not that botherd about the speed of it, even if they just upped their caps I'd be happy. But if they dont do anything I'll leave them.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Sully04 wrote:
    Seems unlikely!

Seems unlikely that they'll increase the speed? Surely they have to if they are reselling €ircon's product as once it increases, there will no longer be a 512kb product? Also, it would lose them a lot of business! UTV have gone from being very customer friendly to being a right old pain in the rear! I've tried ringing them and mailing them and can't get anywhere!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭h0stn0tf0und

I'm getting mightly pissed off with UTV these days.

I'm in the same boat. I had hoped to hear something from them regarding the speed/cap increase. Reading other posts about them charging for busting your cap, terrible customer service and their constant reworking of products to suck you into 12 month contracts I have had just about enough. My current 12 month contract finishes soon and even though the other providers are more expensive I think my money will be going elsewhere. How did they manage to ruin everything?!? (for me personally that is)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

LFCFan wrote:
    Seems unlikely that they'll increase the speed? Surely they have to if they are reselling €ircon's product as once it increases, there will no longer be a 512kb product? Also, it would lose them a lot of business! UTV have gone from being very customer friendly to being a right old pain in the rear! I've tried ringing them and mailing them and can't get anywhere!

Well thats the jist I was getting from the newsgroup. Not any new packages anyway.

Your right about UTV, I made a complaint. Call admin and ask to speak to whoever deals with complaints - then tell him about it.

- Sully

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 flop71

I was just talking on a guy in the UTV Admin department, and he said that they had "just heard" that the clicksilver plus would be upgraded to 2mb "in the next week or so" (His words in quotes)

I asked him about cap increases and he said "he didn't know, but something could be possibly rolled out next week"

I then mentioned about contracts, my contract is up on the 1st of april and told him i didn't want to sign anything for another year if i didn't like the packages/terms and conditions etc. he then mentioned that "An email would be sent confirming if i would like to agree to the free upgrade or not"

Cheers
    Flop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

flop71 wrote:
    I was just talking on a guy in the UTV Admin department, and he said that they had "just heard" that the clicksilver plus would be upgraded to 2mb "in the next week or so" (His words in quotes)

I asked him about cap increases and he said "he didn't know, but something could be possibly rolled out next week"

I then mentioned about contracts, my contract is up on the 1st of april and told him i didn't want to sign anything for another year if i didn't like the packages/terms and conditions etc. he then mentioned that "An email would be sent confirming if i would like to agree to the free upgrade or not"

Cheers
    Flop
    That sounds like UTV are gonna try and pop us a new 12 month contract, if that's the case then I'm off. IOL here I come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭Subc

damn thats some good news, im going from 512kb to 2mb lol, taking th "plus" option was a good move. Thing is im on 512kb and im already at 15gigs of dl for this month

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭Subc

why would it be a new contract.
    I'm at the end of my contract, 512k is going to disapear and we are getting upgraded. Why would they want u to sign a new contract cause of the upgrade, doesn't make sense people would simply leave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭iano

Subc wrote:
    why would it be a new contract.
    No new contract to automatically benefit from the wholesale speed increases, he was talking to an idiot.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

LFCFan wrote:
    Seeing as they are only a reseller I'm sure their service ................... I need to know if it's worth upgrading to Clicksilver Plus to avail of the 2Mbit/s speed.

Be careful UTV now require you to commit to a further 12 month contract to change between Clicksilver products even though the change upwards does not cost them anything. There have been reports that UTV's csrs have not been telling customers this who requested the change.

It is one of UTV's Terms and Conditions which is not in their Terms and Conditions yet to quote a UTV representative. UTV only get concerned wtih T&C's when it suits them I am sorry to say.

dub45: You should really create a "Anti-UTV" site. Ill join ;)

- Sully

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Utv would want speek up about speed/cap increases pretty soon. Im near the end of the contact, what exactly happens at the end, do they ask you to sign another 12 month contract?

bush wrote:
    Utv would want speek up about speed/cap increases pretty soon. Im near the end of the contact, what exactly happens at the end, do they ask you to sign another 12 month contract?

Once you finish the 12 month contract its a rolling one month contract after that - same for most isps afaik. Except that UTV seem to try harder than most of the others to get you into an additional 12 month contract :rolleyes:

Sully04 wrote:
    dub45: You should really create a "Anti-UTV" site. Ill join ;)

- Sully

You are worse than me:) Sadly it is hard to comment on aspect of UTV's performance as an isp these days without it being negative and as a paying customer you don't want it to be that way.

dub45 wrote:
    You are worse than me:)

Indeed ;) Maybe when you realise the amount of crap I have to put up with from this crowd of muppets? Its really doing my head in. Between the staff being ignorant and helpfull and the service being dodgy... just not reliable, there should be some regulation covering this so it doesnt happen!

- Sully

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 200 ✭✭DecTenToo

had an email from UTV last week saying upgrades were due to start 4th April.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭dal

I guess the upgrades have already started as mine jumped to 1mpbs last night. Looks like the upload speed has stayed at 128kbps though.

For some reason though it still didn't seem faster. In fact, if anything it was slower. Maybe just some teething problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Sully04 wrote:
    Indeed ;) Maybe when you realise the amount of crap I have to put up with from this crowd of muppets? Its really doing my head in. Between the staff being ignorant and helpfull and the service being dodgy... just not reliable, there should be some regulation covering this so it doesnt happen!

- Sully

Apart form the massive delays in getteing through to them I can't complain too much about them but I sympathise with your problems. However I reckon they can't cope with the numbers they have signed up and don't understand that you need more support with more people. More people also means your initial technical solution may end up falling over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭pat kenny

Got the speed increase and then I went to check my cap it said
    Download limit 0MB
    Download used 0MB

Or something to that effect.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Ive never had a problem with utv. If they brought a decent new package with a higher cap id be happy to sign another 12 month contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭Shred

pat kenny wrote:
    Got the speed increase and then I went to check my cap it said
    Download limit 0MB
    Download used 0MB

Or something to that effect.

There was something up with that prior to the upgrade. So that's a seperate issue I think, I saw it mentioned on the newsgroup late last week.
    Bush wrote:
    Ive never had a problem with utv.

I concur, I've been with them for four months now (still in the free trial period) and never had to ring them for anything yet (touch wood) :) I'm quite happy with the service on the whole and don't understand why so many people have a problem with their telephony being tied to UTV either - I think it works out quite cheap personally :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Couch Potato

I have been upgraded but only get max speed of 1.3mb ..

During the upgrade my router died and I had to hit the dreaded reset button on the back and rest from scratch ...

Check again when I get home this evening.

What speeds are other people getting on the Clicksilver Plus package ... ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

I have been upgraded but only get max speed of 1.3mb ..

During the upgrade my router died and I had to hit the dreaded reset button on the back and rest from scratch ...

Check again when I get home this evening.

What speeds are other people getting on the Clicksilver Plus package ... ??

I'm on Clicksilver plus in Waterford(Tycor Exchange)just did a test there now and i'm getting 1.71mbps which is about right for a 2meg connection but yesterday from the afternoon up to about midnight i was just about getting 512k speeds.Will be interesting to see if the speed drops again later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 AshleeD

For some reason my UTV 512k adsl has been upped to 896k... I contacted UTV and they said they didn't upgrade the speed.... weird.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

my clicksilver has connected at some weird speeds like 980kb/s, 974kb/s and of course a normal 1mb/s. I hope UTV sort out their backend soon cause the up and down nature of the connection at the moment is pissing me off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

AshleeD wrote:
    For some reason my UTV 512k adsl has been upped to 896k... I contacted UTV and they said they didn't upgrade the speed.... weird.

UTV upgraded everyones speed though. If you were on clicksilver then it was upgraded to 1mb.

I usually get aroung 890k. Alot better then the first day of the upgrade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

1466 kbps in dublin city centre, clicksilver +

Advertisement