Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

vinyl onto mp3?

• 30-03-2005 2:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

Does anyone know is it possible to record vinyl onto an mp3 player. Want to get some mixes onto an mp3 and am about to buy one, but have heard that some mp3 players dont records analogue? Does the iriver record analogue?
    cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭bruce wayne

try these guys....based in Dublin city centre and they do vinyl

http://www.cdtomp3.net/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭tel922001

creative labs do a device u can get in argus for 60 euro its external, all u do is hook up ur decks and mix it records then u transfer it to whatever format u want wav. mp3 etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭kinkstr

tel922001 wrote:
    creative labs do a device u can get in argus for 60 euro its external, all u do is hook up ur decks and mix it records then u transfer it to whatever format u want wav. mp3 etc

something like this?

linky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭tel922001

thats the one kin didnt have time to get the link a friend bought one and he said its a nifty little device and its cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭deadbeat

you dont need any fancy gear, if you have a decent sound card just get a phono to jack lead
    BKF8V3013EF1_5M_260_260.jpg

and run it from the record on your mixer to your soundcards line in, then just use any sound recording program (soundforge, audition etc.) to record it onto your pc, make sure you check the levels first though, once youve got the wav file use an encoder of your choice to covert it to cd

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

saharzie wrote:
    ....Does the iriver record analogue?
    cheers

Yes

or alternatively
    deadbeat wrote:
    you dont need any fancy gear, if you have a decent sound card just get a phono to jack lead
    BKF8V3013EF1_5M_260_260.jpg

and run it from the record on your mixer to your soundcards line in, then just use any sound recording program (soundforge, audition etc.) to record it onto your pc, make sure you check the levels first though, once youve got the wav file use an encoder of your choice to covert it to cd

exactly...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

might i recommend a program called steinberg clean 4.0??? the complete vinyl to mp3 / wav / aiff / .ogg solution. can also declick, de-hiss and has a wave editor, also supports 5.1 surround sound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

Might I recommend something else...

Don't record to mp3. Fair enough if you wanna make a copy in mp3 format but at least keep it in some lossless format like FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec). If you put your vinyl in mp3 only then you won't have future-proofed them in anyway, as, if you want to use a new format for a new player in a few years, you'll have to further compress a lossy format into another. Needless to say it doesn't have to be FLAC, but pick a format that will be compressed while minimising the loss.

If you need more info. just ask.

http://flac.sourceforge.net/

Most software doesn't record direct to MP3. It records to WAV. So you can burn a CD of this as backup it will be the closest to the original. Afterwards you can rip(encode) the WAVs to MP3 aswell.

Sorry I wasn't very clear about that. I simply meant don't rip and encode as an mp3, discarding the higher quality wav along the way and ending up with only an mp3. FLAC will allow (some) saving of space if he has a big enough hard-drive and doesn't want to burn to CD. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

I use Magix Audio Cleaning lab (only €15) to record from my decks to PC. It has live level monitoring on screen. Then I use a freeware program called (actually I've forgotten the name for it now :o ) to split the wav file into individual tracks. Another freeware program 'freeripmp3' converts the files to mp3. Then 'burnatonce' records it all to CD as a seamless mix with individual tracks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭punka

mordeith wrote:
    Then I use a freeware program called (actually I've forgotten the name for it now :o ) to split the wav file into individual tracks.

I think you mean CD Wave Editor
    deadbeat wrote:
    you dont need any fancy gear, if you have a decent sound card just get a phono to jack lead and run it from the record on your mixer to your soundcards line in, then just use any sound recording program (soundforge, audition etc.) to record it onto your pc, make sure you check the levels first though, once youve got the wav file use an encoder of your choice to covert it to cd

Will this work on a laptop too? I seem to remember being warned against piping stuff in through my line in...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Kingsize

magix audio cleaning lab allows you to put in track breaks too so if yr burning to cd its all you need.you can also clean up the sound ,as it has a mastering section too
    its cheap & it does the job & i think the deluxe version actually supplies you with an adaptor

punka wrote:
    Will this work on a laptop too? I seem to remember being warned against piping stuff in through my line in...
    Can't say for sure but most likely no. Laptop soundcards are usually muck, understandably. For instance I can't use mine at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

don't talk to me about line ins on crappy soundcards :mad:
    think i'm gonna treat myself to an audigy 2 for recording my new wax collection/mixes

I use a Creative USB MP3+ sound card into my laptop. Sound is much better than my onboard on the laptop. The Audigys are better again, but they need a power cable, whereas the MP3+ doesn't. its powered from the USB cable, which is much handier. I use CDWave and Audiograbber & Lame.

http://www.milosoftware.com/cdwave/
    http://www.audiograbber.com-us.net/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭weak infant

if your hearing interference and noise, you might need to ground your source to your pc case using a wire.

has anyone got any experience to back up claims made by stanton that the digital out on their decks can help sound quality when backing up vinyl? i've googled and haven't really found anything.

what does a digital mixer do for you?

if you are loaded one of these badboys might help!
    http://www.elusivedisc.com/prodinfo.asp?number=HW-TNTHOT

Advertisement