Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HMV bought City Arms?

Options
  • 30-03-2005 2:31pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey,

Rumour has it that HMV bought the City Arms hotel.. Any truth in that no?

- Sully

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

I hope so! The place is a bit rundown anyway, and it would be a good spot for a HMV, especially if there's a 2nd floor they could use. (not sure if there is)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Barrie

Never liked city arms so hopefully!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,187 ✭✭✭kensutz

I heard it's going to the complex in Railway Square

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Hrm.. im gonna try find out what the case is. There is a second floor in City Arms and yes I heard in my other topic that it was going in the Complex in Railway Square - but who knows?

[Edit]Sent of an email to HMV saying:
    Hello,

I am living in Ireland, where you have some stores, and was wondering are you opening up a store in Waterford City? It is said that HMV are coming into a new Shopping Complex by Railway Square or in the original shopping Complex City Square (buying the City Arms Pub/Restraunt?).

Can you confirm or deny these reports of HMV coming to Waterford City at all in the near future (if confirm - when and where?).

Many Thanks for your time.

Regards,
    Kevin OSullivan
    [/EDIT]

- Sully

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

wow deadly , a bit of competition and finally if it is city arms ya can fit a few in , BPM drives me nutz being all squashed in!Sinnotts never have what i want and the Book centre dont do much Rock/Metal up there so this should be cool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Now if we got a GAME we'd be laughin...

True True!!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

*goes to ask :P*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭pixie_student

Hmm.. where did you hear that?

Friend in the college heard it from a few ppl..

• Advertisement

I heard HMV were coming alright but didnt think the city arms was where they were goin...

So is the city arms defo shutting down ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Well this is just my opinion, but it would definetly make sense for them to have accepted any offer that they may have been presented with as business in the pub has dwindled in previous months with its main function being a lunchtime meeting place. I believe they also tried to start a few new ventures into the second floor of the building however they didnt last very long (if Im correct theres a Bistro there now?)

My sis is always on about their brilliant lunches , she was going mad when i told her it might be going :confused:

To me the place looks run down (although I haven't been in in a while) and italways seems to be full of prams of screaming children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭kinkstr

merlante wrote:
    To me the place looks run down (although I haven't been in in a while) and italways seems to be full of prams of screaming children.

Sure does, the lunches are pretty good in there though, ill be a lil sad to see it go

Its a bit odd alright because I thought they did a good lunch trade in there.

This rumour is bull****.

Was talking with one of the owners of city arms and it's not for sale.

This rumour is bull****.

Was talking with one of the owners of city arms and it's not for sale.

Yes, found that out last night. Apparently, an offer was made but HMV pulled out and went of to that new shopping complex instead? My guess is the person who told me was completely wrong, cause I always thought it was going to the other place (new shopping complex).

Anyway.. sorry if I got anyones hopes up!

Well at least it's going somewhere at least. If it's going to be in railway square (the new shopping centre?) then they better get a large unit and make a proper job of it!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Was told over the weekend that City Arms closed it doors on Friday. Have not had it confirmed as of yet, but it does look like is the new location for HMV ok.

Ya its closed up, iv been meaning to post here about it.

Could the rumours be true?!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

big notice up city arms is closed for good.
    and i've heard the same rumours.
    They'll never beat BPM though

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

mayordenis wrote:
    big notice up city arms is closed for good.
    and i've heard the same rumours.
    They'll never beat BPM though

Can't see why people are still buying from the likes of HNV & BPM, yeah ok they might be good for local type music but when it comes down to it there's a average of 5e difference if you buy from cdwow.ie and play.com etc
    I find it insane that people are wasting money so needlessly,

Lets give an example...New Corrs CD is 12.99e from cdwow.ie, how much is it in town? :)
    Oh and its Free Delivery

I know but still - its good for jobs :P

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Cabaal wrote:
    Can't see why people are still buying from the likes of HNV & BPM, yeah ok they might be good for local type music but when it comes down to it there's a average of 5e difference if you buy from cdwow.ie and play.com etc
    I find it insane that people are wasting money so needlessly,

Lets give an example...New Corrs CD is 12.99e from cdwow.ie, how much is it in town? :)
    Oh and its Free Delivery

A lot of people dont like waiting for things. I might be in the mood to watch a particular film one day, or might spot somthing in HMV and buy it. If I order it online theres not much chance of my mood staying the same for a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Maharet

Ah feck sake, hopefully they will be in Railway Square instead. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

wheres reilway squere?hopefully they can have it really big ,like the one on grafton street so as they can have a huge metal section like they do in grafton street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭confetti

wheres the new shopping complex going?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Maharet

wheres reilway squere?hopefully they can have it really big ,like the one on grafton street so as they can have a huge metal section like they do in grafton street.

On Manor St, behind Muldoons, beside that tower with the bit of old city wall.

Advertisement