Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fact Sheets - Group Project

Options
  • 30-03-2005 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭

The idea of fact sheets were discussed briefly in a previous thread so let's continue it here in a dedicated thread.

If IrelandOffline were to create fact sheets what would be the purpose of them be, who would the audience be and what would the fact sheets be about ?

Here are my own thoughts and I'd like if everyone added their own thoughts too.

Purpose:
    (1) Allow more consumer choice by informing consumers that they have a choice. Currently it seems not a lot of people know they can better value from their phone/broadband/internet service.

(2) Increase the target audience of IrelandOffline by informing a large group of people of how they can save money / get better value for money / make more informed decisions about telecoms/internet/broadband issues.

(3) With a larger number of people listening to and interacting with IrelandOffline the group can lobby more/even better to bring about Broadband For All and force telcos/ComReg/DCMNR to respect the consumer more.

Audience:
    (1) General consumer who has never heard of us.
    (2) IrelandOffline members / Boards.ie members / People with some or lots of knowledge on the current telecoms environment in Ireland.
    (3) Journalists
    (4) Politicians

Would we need to create separate fact sheets for each of the above ?

Fact Sheet Content:
    (1) Getting the best value from your phone service / how to select best phone package.
    (2) Broadband - What is it, what's available, what are my requirements ?
    (3) Consumer issues with my phone service/broadband/internet service, how do I remedy the situation, who do I go to, what can be done ?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

<adam goes for a smoke and a think>

I think there should be two different types, Fact Sheets targeted towards consumers and businesses, and Briefing Documents targeted towards the media and government/agencies. Different names simply because they have different purposes, but obviously both should be available to all.

Since both types of documents will need to be updated regularly, I don't think it would be a good idea to overextend IrelandOffline with too many documents. In particular I don't see a need for more than two Fact Sheets: Choosing A Provider and Dealing With Problems. It may even be possible to incorporate these into one document.

Where possible, statistics and detailed information that will be subject to change should be referred to by the documents, but not contained within. Again this applies particularly to Fact Sheets, which should assist people with choosing a provider, but not step into the murky territory of recommendations. Things like price comparisons should be considered carefully.

That being said, some statistical information will be neccesary in Briefing Documents, so a schedule should be created for checking these over several times during the year, and updating as necessary. I think Fact Sheets should be generic enough to only require yearly updates.

The Briefing Documents should contain detailed information on how to get in touch with IrelandOffline for further details, interviews, etc. The Fact Sheets should be more informational, but perhaps an email address could be made available for serious complaints.

That's my 2c for the moment.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

Definatly what adam said the 2 mentioned would be most effective i think,
    Fact Sheet Content:
    (1) Getting the best value from your phone service / how to select best phone package.
    (2) Broadband - What is it, what's available, what are my requirements ?
    (3) Consumer issues with my phone service/broadband/internet service, how do I remedy the situation, who do I go to, what can be done ?

Are these for electronic distrobution and or hard copy distrobution ? How are these being distrobuted ? are they being handed out or are they on request?

thats just my thoughts on what you have said.

Advertisement