Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

first motorbike

Options
  • 30-03-2005 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭

I am thinking of getting my first motorbike and was suggested to go for a bros 400 anyone got any advice about this bike or first bikes in general

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

How old are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭xzodia

ill be 30 when i get it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭gulp

i dont much about bikes but ive heard that you are better off to start off with a smaller bike in order to get used to them.could be wrong.mightnt be a bad idea getting it off your bro since you will know the bikes history

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

@Gulp ? Bros = Honda Bros 400
    Bros are cheap enough bikes, plenty of parts around, not ridiculous to insure, but check the insurance before you buy; prices have been going up again.
    One thing about the Bros: make sure it hasn't been used by a courier. If it has, then it will probably have been ridden hard which means more parts for you to replace...
    Have you any experience of riding bikes? No, get some lessons. YOu can get lessons on a school bike from a few places I've listed on the FAQ.

am booking lessons as i have not been on a bike yet
    i was warned about the courier check buyt thanks
    did a estimate quote for it and not to bad on the insurance, cheaper than my car and ive been driving for nearly 9 years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Bros is in the group 5 insurance bracket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

Sorry, but have you got a full bike licence? If it's your first bike you just can't go out and buy a 400cc machine. Well you can, but you won't be legally able to drive it!! Might look good outside the house though...

You will have to get a provisional licence first. There are 3 types. For all this and more, have a look at http://www.magireland.org/inf_LicenceRegs.htm

cheers, Tomohawk

ps. I have a provisional "A" licence and drive old Vespas for the last 18 months, and I'm still waiting to do my bike test, week 50 now... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

The bros outputs less than the limited kW value restriction for the provisional license. You can buy one and its totally legal. Its a v-twin, less than 33bhp, plenty of torque, probably a good laugh. Buy it, as opposed to the homo cruisers that seem to be constantly commended on this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

Bros is good solid bike. V-twin is a very handy in town. like people said previously -- jus watch the mileage as it is used by couriers

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

buy my royal star venture... really good around town & all that :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Tomohawk wrote:
    Sorry, but have you got a full bike licence? If it's your first bike you just can't go out and buy a 400cc machine. Well you can, but you won't be legally able to drive it!! Might look good outside the house though...
    As said, the Bros doesn't exceed max power output. You can drive it on a provisional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭that guy

Bros 400, great bike. Ditto kawasaki er5 and the honda cb500.

cc doesn't tell the whole story -the above bikes are relatively low insurance catagories.

The one thing that would put me off the bros (aside from the fact that I'm not mad about the looks) is the fact that for some reason in Ireland people think they're dip coated in platinum, and the prices people are asking for them are absolutely crazy - 3 grand and stuff for 1988 and '89 bikes - ridiculous - get a '97 er5 or cb500 and you're getting a much newer more modern bike for the same money

If you're getting a BROS get one that has literally just come in off the docks with no previous Irish owners. As has been said here, they are popular with couriers.

hoping to get in one from the uk

Why the UK, as a matter of interest?

Talk to Megabikes on Wexford Street, they import from Japan..

going through a dealer friend of mine you gets them in from the uk

Tomohawk wrote:

You will have to get a provisional licence first. There are 3 types. For all this and more, have a look at http://www.magireland.org/inf_LicenceRegs.htm

cheers, Tomohawk

ps. I have a provisional "A" licence and drive old Vespas for the last 18 months, and I'm still waiting to do my bike test, week 50 now... :(

Tomohawk, as others have said Bros 400 is learner legal. For a list of learner legal bikes, you can check out another MAG Ireland page

I was talking to one of the people in MAG Ireland a while back. The Irish government screwed up when drafting the bike power restrictions. They put in "<25 kW and/or <= 0.16kW/kg". It should have been
    "<25 kW and < 0.16 kW/kg".

AFAIK Any bike can be power restricted, but the onus is on the driver to prove to a gard, etc. if stopped. Have heard stories of one lad being told to leave his bike. Could be a myth. Lots of old provisional licence holders can ride whatever they like because newer EU licencing laws don't apply to them. Couldn't be applied retrospectively.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

xzodia,
    I stand corrected on the Bros 400cc and its legality for a provisional licence. Anyhow my advice to you is to apply for your driving test as soon as possible, as the waiting time to test is very long. You might see a insurance premium reduction sooner that way, on passing the test...

Cheers, Tomohawk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

bros 400cc are a good starter bike, so is a honda super 400cc, both are very reliable. However a honda cb 500cc, is in my opinion, a very good starter bike. Don't forget that if its your first licence you will have to put a horse power restrictor on them.

Enii wrote:
    bros 400cc are a good starter bike, so is a honda super 400cc, both are very reliable. However a honda cb 500cc, is in my opinion, a very good starter bike. Don't forget that if its your first licence you will have to put a horse power restrictor on them.

Bros does not need a restrictor kit to be compliant with restriction clause of the law. The other bikes you've suggested will require a restrictor which isn't recognised by any insurer, so you end up paying for extra horsepower you don't have. The only restrictor kits that are recognised by Hibernian are factory restricted engines. Carole Nash don't recognise restricted engines at all. I've considered getting a factory restricted Hornet, etc but Carole Nash quote for the full power only.

• Advertisement

luckly the bros 400cc is under the breakhorse power so wont need a restrictor

well bought the bike got a good deal on the gear and the bike

Nice one. What were you still doin' surfing at 8:15am? It was bright then, you should have been out on the bike :D Mind you the weather's not the Mae West. Just find shelter for those HEAVY downpours.
    Enjoy it and keep it rubber side down.
    When's your first lesson???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭that guy

Hey did you buy that in killeen motors sundrive road?

yep bought it from them

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Enjoy it, and ride safe...
    Get a decent lock for it.

hell yeah with the lock and chain got the best one he had

Nearly broke my back carrying it LOL :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

nope its a proper chain and lock

• Advertisement