Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this acceptable behavior

Options
  • 30-03-2005 4:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭

Just interested in getting peoples opinions on this. Wasn't sure of best place to post so thought parents might have some feedback on whether it would be acceptable for their kids.

Recently moved into an estate and over the last few days(guess its the first time the kids have been on holidays and there has been decent weather)

A group of about 8 kids(We are talking about 12/13 years olds here, 2 of which are actually from our road) have decided to have a full scale rounders match outside of our house, this involves hitting the ball wherever they want, into peoples gardens,under cars and running though same after the ball with no regard to what damage they cause, trampling flower beds, hedges etc.

They also play a hide/chasing game where they hide wherever they want, including under cars in peoples gardens etc.

To me this is unacceptable and we shouldn't have to put up with it, especially as there is a park at the end of the road.

Would parents here allow their kids to do this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Alanna

I don't think anyone here would let their children behave like that and I guess that the parents of the children in question think that they are out playing a harmless game of rounders. Why don't you tell them(nicely) to play in the park?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

Tried that - One of them was getting the ball from our garden and I went out and asked her what she was doing as it was private property. "Getting the ball" was the reply I got. I told her in future to knock and ask for it and also suggested they play in the park, she looked stunned, didn't stop them either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Gaz

Knock in to get the ball from your front garden ? Seriously ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭b3t4

They are kids and are playing a game. To be honest, count your lucky stars, there is much worse things that they could be doing. Also, you appear to be more concerned about some hedges and plants than these kids, that to me doesn't say a lot for you.

I have heard of estates where the kids think it is fun to set bags alight and place them at the front door of their neighbours.

A.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

I can see how this would annoy me aswell.. However, in one sense you should be glad that's all they're doing.
    I lived in East Wall for a while and the local kids thought it would be funny to throw wet plaster at all the cars parked around the estate. Some builder had left it behind him. Dunno who I was angrier with.. him or the kids..
    I was egged aswell when walking home from work one day, by some little gurrier..
    Anyway.. at least that's not happening to you, but like I say, I sympathise..

K.

• Advertisement

Knock in to get the ball from your front garden ? Seriously ?

I am more trying to force them to go to the park - which is at the top of the road - figure that If I make it hard they will move on. Its a bit annoying when you spend a weekend planting flowers and making the garden look decent when yuo have kids stampeding through it to get a ball. Wouldn't be too bad if they just walked in and got it but usually its hurdel the wall into the flower bed - run through another and the same on the way back out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

i can see where the poster is coming from, but its probably better from the parents of the kids point of view that they are playing where they can see them. its a double edged sword really, when you have kids that age you'll prolly rather they played where you can keep an eye on them rather than 'in the park'. my suggestion is not to plant flowers :)

6/7 years old maybe. These are 12/13 years olds, in secondary school uniforms so I would imagine that age. What gives anyone a right to destroy other peoples property?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

We used to always play rounders in our estate. We would play on the road with houses on either side. We would take care going into gardens, but it had to be done. Your involved in a team game and it's you against them. Rounders was a great part of my childhood. Great fun.

There was a park in our estate but it was downhill so it wasn't ideal. Playing on the road gave obstacles and you also had the bases set out (base 1 would be a tree, base two an electricity box etc). Maybe they feel safer playing in the estate too? And it's only a tennis ball I presume so it can't do much damage.

You could run out in good spirit and get the ball and run up to the park and tell them to play there. As a child, if someone complains to you about playing rounders they are considered the bad adults on the estate so it could have further implications for you, watch out.

Just don't let them know your boards username, it will come back on you;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Well personally I know how this can become extremely stressful. But I hate to tell you that theres no solution. If an area becomes popular with kids, its always popular with them. Once this generation gets bored along comes the next one. If they won't move, and if the parents won't move them, then the only option is the community garda. But this is a road to nowhere the majority of the time.

In fairness anyone who dismisses this kinda thing as just kids playing is leaving in fantasy land. If kids loss the respect of adults and of property it causes all sorts of problems. Eventually they can torment a house owner. If a kid comes into you garden and trips and breaks his neck, the parent will sue the owner.

Its antisocial behaviour but theres nothing you can do about it. You might get them to move on for short periods of time, but they always come back to the same spot. You can try parking awkwardly in front of the house, so that it makes if difficult for the kids. Buy a dog, put a fence up, smear it with that stuff the wrecks clothes that kinda thing. But really do you want go that route.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

cormie wrote:
    ...There was a park in our estate but it was downhill so it wasn't ideal....

Same where I lived. A huge green area but it was on a 30degree slope

I wouldn't go calling the guards. We didn't think to well of those who did on us for simply kicking a football around outside someones house. Just doing kick ups to eachother, not even going into their garden :rolleyes:

Personally I would be happy with kids running around having a laugh, it's good to see people playing rounders and that. It's hardly anti-social behavior either. It's good for them and they could be doing allot worse. It probably brings a bit of life to the area too.

vector wrote:
    Same where I lived. A huge green area but it was on a 30degree slope

Shocking. 30 degs?
    cormie wrote:
    I wouldn't go calling the guards. We didn't think to well of those who did on us for simply kicking a football around outside someones house. Just doing kick ups to eachother, not even going into their garden :rolleyes:

Personally I would be happy with kids running around having a laugh, it's good to see people playing rounders and that. It's hardly anti-social behavior either. It's good for them and they could be doing allot worse. It probably brings a bit of life to the area too.

Well you are missing the point. If someone complains about it then you should move on. If you don't, well your just being ignorant. Its like playing loud music, etc. Its anti social to people who don't want you to do it. They are in the right not you! Or perhaps you think playing on roads and hanging around outside other people houses (who don't want you there) is ok?

Well to be honest, I actually do think it's ok. I mean, the street belongs to everyone, the society we live in is too obsessed with property, boundaries, law suits and legalities. It's sad in a way. Memories of such times for children when they are adults will sooth the mind etc. Like playing a field, it's not your field, but when I think back of me running around in fields without a care, it brings a warmth to me.

I think people complain too much anyway. They should be happy to see people enjoying themselves.

When I hear loud music in my area, I like it, it's a sign of life, a sign somebody is enjoying themselves. I have my music at full volume as we speak :rolleyes:

That's just my oppinion. I like the idea of a laid back world, lying down in the sun with some grass in your mouth soaking up the sun, insects crawling over me the sound of bees and butterflies.

I'd say the farmer is still pissed at the hundreds of pounds worth of damage you did to his crops, which meant that he couldn't bring his kids on holdiay. :mad: But hey, you're happy so who give a monkeys about any one else eh? ;)

Basically I'm alright jack so screw you. Lovely. :cool:

Fields of grass!! :rolleyes:
    Basically I'm alright jack so screw you. Lovely.
    No, it's not like that. It's more like, Chill our Jack, enjoy the weather, get out some water balloons and join in Jack. You'll love it Jack, ya'll right there now Jack. Ah Jack, you got me good, I'm soaking I tells ya, soaking Jack. I'll get ya back Jack :D

cormie wrote:
    Fields of grass!! :rolleyes:

What do animals eat? its a crop... :rolleyes:
    cormie wrote:
    No, it's not like that. It's more like, Chill our Jack, enjoy the weather, get out some water balloons and join in Jack. You'll love it Jack, ya'll right there now Jack. Ah Jack, you got me good, I'm soaking I tells ya, soaking Jack. I'll get ya back Jack :D

So there you are studying at home and some gits are outside whacking a ball about and cranking heavy metal/west life outside your door. Basically like I said once you think its ok, then its ok. Regardless of other people rights or wishes.

well yeah, if somebody is studying a simple "do you mind going somewhere else please" will do, but the world I was talking about wouldn't involve study, or work, or stresses. Just sunny days and people playing and having fun.

cormie wrote:
    well yeah, if somebody is studying a simple "do you mind going somewhere else please" will do, but the world I was talking about wouldn't involve study, or work, or stresses. Just sunny days and people playing and having fun.

Yes .. and then theres the real world...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I would be more worried driving over one of the kids who was hiding under the car. Rounders, its all fun and games until they break something.

• Advertisement

Yes .. and then theres the real world...

hehe, yeah, I blame the corporations after watching the Michael Moore documentary on them.
    I would be more worried driving over one of the kids who was hiding under the car. Rounders, its all fun and games until they break something.

Sure isn't everything really? They may break something but surely it's healthier than having them sitting inside watching tv and playing the computer :cool:

cormie wrote:
    Sure isn't everything really? They may break something but surely it's healthier than having them sitting inside watching tv and playing the computer :cool:

Yes well well it won't be very healthy for them if they break a window in the car or house. Hard to run on crutches.... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Souperfreak

I don't mind the neighborhood kids playing in our garden but last week pulling into the driveway one of them pulled his bike straight in front of my car one inch from the bumper. His ignorant parents were no where in sight. I nearly killed the little f***er. If I would have hit him it would have been my fault.

It's simple....go for the law on this one.....

they are on your property and you don't want them there it is tresspassing. I realise it is just a game.

But being devil's advocate here what if one of the kids trips n falls and sues you. You are liable.

Tell them to go away if they don't go to there parents. If nothing then get the gards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Go to the garda ? Good Luck.

It used to be that a parent/adult could catch a misbehacing youngster by the
    collar and bring him/her to the parents door and the parents would listen and believe and deal with thier child.

Now you get yelled at for even shouting at thier children, and threathened with charges of assult for pointing your finger at a child. The kids lie and thier parents believe them.

You have to stand up to them but it can be hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

cormie wrote:
    I have my music at full volume as we speak :rolleyes:

That's just my oppinion. I like the idea of a laid back world, lying down in the sun with some grass in your mouth soaking up the sun, insects crawling over me the sound of bees and butterflies.

Would I be right in thinking that you were smoking certain illegal substances at the time too?

Even in a perfect world (anarchist utopia type thing) people have to work. Exactly where do you think you will get your food, clothing, place to live, computer to type stoned bulls**t on?

To the op, perhaps you should try and reason with the kids. Come to a comprimise, perhaps such as they can get their ball from your garden but only if they walk through the gate and keep out of your flowers beds. They might surprise you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

It used to be that a parent/adult could catch a misbehacing youngster by the
    collar and bring him/her to the parents door and the parents would listen and believe and deal with thier child.

Now you get yelled at for even shouting at thier children, and threathened with charges of assult for pointing your finger at a child. The kids lie and thier parents believe them.

You have to stand up to them but it can be hard.

Bingo!

The problem is kids have no respect for property/adults at all, as their lazy useless parents don't care what they're up to as long as they're not interfering with them watching football on SKY and drinking cans at home.

I'm constantly having to chase little neighbourhood toerags out of my garden as they don't understand concepts like 'property' and 'respect'. Of course its probably directly related to not understanding concepts like 'mortgage' and 'work' as the Corpo provides them with free houses. They also drop litter everywhere as 'someone else will pick it up'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭vixen2005

well i think the main problem every where is they just cram houses together for get the kids and a tiny green where is to far away for younger kids! it should be law to desigh an estate with a generous green between a certain number of houses ...... what ever happened the swing and slides for all to play on.

but under the cars and trampling on every thing i dont agree with either,
    really have the problem is so many kids go missing these days parents warn them not to go far away,,, look at that poor boy in cork for instance
    i guess its a no win situation some one will always not be happy.
    i guess you dont have kids but perhaps if you approched their parents in a civil manor they might help ya out

not all kids have "no respect" we teach ours to respect elders and do as told they are gave out to if they do some thing wrong but some times its hard to have eyes on the back of your head

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭*Page*

i would love if the 12-13 year olds in my estate where doing that!!
    its great to see children(they are still that!) acting like children!

what damage are they doing? flowers that will die soon or what. hiding under cars they'd get out of the way if you where to get into it!!

*Page* wrote:
    i would love if the 12-13 year olds in my estate where doing that!!
    its great to see children(they are still that!) acting like children!

what damage are they doing? flowers that will die soon or what. hiding under cars they'd get out of the way if you where to get into it!!

Plants and gardens cost time and money. How about they key the side of your car, or dent a panel or two. Thats the same difference from a financial point of view. Just because you don't give a crap about something doesn't mean it has no value or that damaging it isn't a criminal act. At the end of the day you either respect other peoples property and rights, or you don't. Its that clear cut.

I also don't see why somebody else should suffer someone else kids because their parents can't be arsed to supervise their leisure time properly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭*Page*

rounders match in this game you hit a ball and try catch it! running in and out of gardens trampling flower beds and hedges this is a pain but is not the same financial cost of fixing a car!!hide/chasing is another harmless game.. my god you are such an old misser!!!

If it bothers you that much go to the kids parents or put a fence on the front of your house!

Advertisement