Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many devices from a 350W PSU?

Options
  • 30-03-2005 5:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

hi all,

I was wondering how many devices i can run off my 350W PSU, currently i'm using 3 hard disks 2 DVD drives and a floppy. I'm thinking about upgrading to one of those new Graphics cards which need addtional power so am curious.

Cheers
    Flop

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Depends on what power they draw. Google the question. Or use this. It is old at this stage though

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

What make is the PSU?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

flop71 wrote:
    am curious
    curious inquisitive or curious weird :D

Check the ratings on the PSU - some may have more of the 350W on the +5V/3.3V (CPU/RAM) or +12V(Drives Fans) than others.

Cheaper unbranded PSU's may lie eh I mean describe ideal conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭flop

it's a Codegen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

You can also use this to calculate the watt for your rig

http://extreme.outervision.com/index.jsp

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 flop71

Thanks for the links guys looks like i'll need a 400+ before i get my new GFX card.

Cheers
    Flop

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Codegen and Q-Tec are panths dont use them full stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Check My Signature. All running off a 350W Antec Smartblue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭padraigf

Yeah, but an Antec 350w will beat the ass off a Qtec or Codegen 450 or 500w and be quieter and cooler at the same time.

padraigf wrote:
    Yeah, but an Antec 350w will beat the ass off a Qtec or Codegen 450 or 500w and be quieter and cooler at the same time.

I agree. I wouldnt put a Q-Tec or Codegen near a new setup, especially a gaming rig or power user.

They have poor voltage rail tolerances and under load they will give problems to anybody using a 9800Pro and upwards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

sorry flop71

i don't mean to hijack your thread but i think i have a question that the answers kinda related... see attached pic... i hv been reading some stuff but still couldn't understand what these voltage rails are all about... and these readings were from my PC, and i don't understand what it means at all!

any brief answers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

Software reading are usually not accurate. They read my rails for 12V as 2.85 :eek: :D
    Get a multimeter if you really want to an accurate reading of your rails.

mart_max, consider, you have a 5 V and 12V rails in your PSU. When you play games, or run such high demanding software that its you PSU will pay the punishment for this.

Good PSU's, when under load will have their voltage rails maitain 5V and 12V. For Example, Codegen & Q-Tec psu drop these voltages from(e.g. 5V to 4.55V) while under load but the likes of Antec drop only from 5V to 4.95v. They keep close to 5V or 12 "rails"

Advertisement