Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applying for a credit card - how easy is it?

Options
  • 30-03-2005 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

Ok this may sound like a no0bs question but feck it:

I'm looking to get a credit card for buying stuff online, how long does it take to get one does anyone know?
    A brief run through of the process would be appreciated.

Also, is it possible to get the card set up so that say 50 euro is the max that can be withdrawn at once??

I couldnt be bothered gettin up and goin to the bank to ask these questions .. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Put it this way: it's easier than it should be.
    You'll need to be over 18, provide them with details of income (assuming you have one) and a form of ID and proof of address (standard stuff).
    They assess your risk and grant or deny you a card.
    As far as I'm aware they set the limit, so I'm not sure if you can ask them to reduce it.

In the case that you get it, PLEASE don't use it to go bananas on the booze or go buying truckloads of stuff, if you don't intend to pay it off, in full, every month....if it's credit you're after go open a credit union account...
    Having a card is handy for net buying, but it is easy to get carried away when you're clicking a mouse. I'm definitely an impulse buyer online, but put me in a RL shop and I'll be hmming and hahing over spending a tenner :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Also, is it possible to get the card set up so that say 50 euro is the max that can be withdrawn at once??

Not on any card I'm aware of.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

Its bloody too damn easy! I have two of them and have about €1000 worth of bills! They just look at you to be used when you dont have any real money! The worst part is not being able to pay them off!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

yeah, its too easy.
    I strictly only have mine for buying online and when I dont want to take out big amounts of cash for larger purchases.
    Always budget for any times you use it that you will have the cash to transfer across to pay the bill at every month end.
    In fact, I just make sure the money is already in my credit card account before using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭flashcash5

Okey cheers all,
    Might steer clear so,
    The only reason i want one is to test out an e-commerce transaction application i'm working on, thats why i was looking to have a very low limit, just incase my security is comprimised.
    Does anyone know any way around this or even confirmation for sure that i wont find a card that will go as low as 50..
    Mabye there's some kind of way of testing ..

Wertz, you sound like a wise man i once knew, ur not mossy are ya?
    Or mabye many a wise man has fallen down the slippery credit card slope

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

As far as I know the AIB Visa card along with Online Banking allows you to create a virtual credit card number for a set amount which you can use for your transaction. This is then deducted off your current balance.

Basically it means that no one can rip off your credit card or charge you more then you should.

You'll need to read up on the www.aib.ie site though.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭flashcash5

Thanks all, have been in contact with AIB,

Listen to this:
    Their AIB-Visa card with special secure 'transact online' functionality sounds great and you can set your limit to as low as you want.

The AIB-Mastercard (which does not have this increased online functionality) is the only option available to me since i'm a student.

But here's the interesting part:
    The student credit card account is really designed to encourage students to rip themselves off - you cannot set it up so that anything less than 500 euro can be taken out at once!

The VISA accounts that aren't for students can be customised so that lets say 50 euro can only be taken out.

feck sake

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

Permanent TSB also have this virtual credit card thing. I picked up a leaflet on it during the week, but can't find it at the moment. I picked the leaflet up in Centra (?) on St Stephen's Green between Grafton and Dawson St.
    The way it works is you buy a voucher from a shop, from €20 to €200 in units of €10. You register your mobile phone details and you are sent out an expiry date and I presume the 3 digit code (CVV, I think) which allows you to fill in all the details on a website. So the credit limit is small and should help those who either can't get a credit card or don't want to enter real credit card info online.
    ATB

EDIT:
    Found the leaflet. Virtual Visa Voucher aka 3v
    Website

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Muchos Gratious amigo:D

I've had a look into this. There are only 5 stores in Dublin city centre that sell these vouchers. Some sort of pilot scheme. I presume if there's a good uptake, then the vouchers will be available in your local corner-shop like pre-paid mobile phone credit.
    Could still be useful for people with credit cards who are dubious about some sites. Might give it a try.
    -ao-

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bonzai bob

if you're with bank of ireland, all you have to do is apply online.. You don't have to provide anything. Just make sure you pay back 100% to prevent yourself building up a **** load of debt.

Can you get the vouchers from Permanent TSB directly ie thru a branch?

Can you get the vouchers from Permanent TSB directly ie thru a branch?
    "Mr Bond, I'm going to kill you" :D
    You didn't look at the website did you??? Do I have to do _everything_???

Not at the moment it seems. It's a 3 month pilot. Would make sense for them to offer it at branches. And ATMs. Bank queues are worse than shop queues in my experience. Would you wait 5 minutes in a Spar/Centra queue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ciaradon

a_ominous wrote:
    "Mr Bond, I'm going to kill you" :D
    You didn't look at the website did you??? Do I have to do _everything_???

Not at the moment it seems. It's a 3 month pilot. Would make sense for them to offer it at branches. And ATMs. Bank queues are worse than shop queues in my experience. Would you wait 5 minutes in a Spar/Centra queue?

I wouldn't mind waiting in Spar to load on the cash as it only takes 3 minutes literally once you get onto www.top-upclub.com to buy one. I have already used the vouchers they are great, no interest, no dealing with your bank! They have loadsa competitions on the site too for the launch of Virtual Visa you should have a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ciaradon

Guys the 3v one is for getting in the shops but the Top-up Club one is faster you don't have to register just become a member of Top-up Club and then you can use them to your hearts content. Its really easy, pick up a card in your local shop most of them have them, spar,centra defo do and then you can load cash onto the card and buy the virtual visa on www.top-upclub.com as i said dead easy and i have used it no bother on cdwow and asos.com. No 50 quid charge from bank or anything else!

Are you any way affiliated to www.top-upclub.com?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭hk797

Used it yesterday - works - just make sure that your total is as close to the voucher amount as poss. - there is a e2.50 fee for claiming back any unused credit per voucher - so if you buy a e30 voucher and only spend e27.50 it will have cost you the voucher fee of e4.00 + e2.50 unspent = e6.50 fee!!!! Need to go lie down now ... brain hurts. :D

I was under the impression you can use the card multiple times provided there was money there and it was before the expiry date. I am correct?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Darren Byrne

This thing rocks. I just got a card in Spar, loaded €154 on it, went to the website, bought a visa, went to ticketmaster and bought tickets for Heineken Green Energy.

Bond-007 wrote:
    I was under the impression you can use the card multiple times provided there was money there and it was before the expiry date. I am correct?

Yes you are correct ... once you are a registered user for the 3V card you are allowed to buy as many vouchers you like ... BUT ... you need to buy a separate voucher for each and every transaction you do ... because you get a unique card number on the voucher and are sent via SMS a CW2 code (3 digit security number on back of regular credit cards) and expiry date ... works well ... just make sure to max up your spend on every transaction to the voucher amount ... otherwise you are leaving money on the table ... at least thats the way I read it ... might want to check with Q or Miss Moneypenny ... will try the top up club way today to see how it works ...

• Advertisement

hk797 wrote:

Yes you are correct ... once you are a registered user for the 3V card you are allowed to buy as many vouchers you like ... BUT ... you need to buy a separate voucher for each and every transaction you do ... because you get a unique card number on the voucher and are sent via SMS a CW2 code (3 digit security number on back of regular credit cards) and expiry date ... works well ... just make sure to max up your spend on every transaction to the voucher amount ... otherwise you are leaving money on the table ... at least thats the way I read it ... might want to check with Q or Miss Moneypenny ... will try the top up club way today to see how it works ...

Correction - hands up on the ministry of misinformation above - you are able to use each voucher MULTIPLE times until the balance is zero within one month of purchasing it - works great with every site I tried - highly recommended.

Advertisement