Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is this normal practice ?

Options
  • 30-03-2005 6:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭

Im in the middle of getting driving lessons with around 2 months , I wanted 10 lessons and hoped to be on the road by now , but up to date i`ve had 6 , , my instructor cancels me heaps and at the last minute , is this just bad luck or is it normal practice for them not to give a crud because they have a load of customers anyway ?
    Im thinkin about changing instructors but I only need a few more I feel a couple would sort me , so it may not be worth the hassle , Its just really pissing me off at the minute .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sounds like you need to have a polite word with your instructor and make it clear you need his help as its been arranged. Otherwise try someone else, but see if you can get fixed up with your current man as switching to a new instuctor means time is wasted with "getting to know you" stuff.

Mike.

btw hows it going over all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

When he actually shows up its great , I picked up the gears and stuff quicker than i thought I would , I feel a coulpe more an i could be let loose myself ,but axa is my cheapest quote an they were sayin id need something saying i got 10 lessons before they`ll insure me , so every lesson he cancells is another day im on the scooter freezing and wanting a car :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭Con9903

That instructor sounds like hes more trouble than he's worth, switch to a better one.

Believe me im tempted but id say that`ll be even more time and hassle wasted :rolleyes: The whole situation is just ridiculous :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

When I first started driving I had an instructor who was unreliable and regularly missed lessons. He was a lot more trouble than he was worth and I ended up stopping the lessons (rural area) as I didn't have the time for messing around.

When I got a new instructor some time later he told me that the guy in question had a very bad name for missing lessons and my new guy was continuously getting calls from people who wanted to change instructor.

I've had lessons with three instructors in total and the other two were completely professional and reliable. Is it possible that the other guy is only doing it part time and is pushing lessons aside for other work.

• Advertisement

I dont think so , I hadnt thought of that actually , im tempted to leave him , but i really dont want to go back to the start so to speak with a new person , but this evening I was so mad , ten past 6 when he cancels my 6 o clock lesson like :mad: .My bf thinx hes a chancer with a while , but im half afraid to say too much because I dont want weird tension going on in the car when I am havin the ODD lesson , If he cancels tomorrow though that`l be the last straw altogether.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

OLDYELLAR wrote:
    I dont think so , I hadnt thought of that actually , im tempted to leave him , but i really dont want to go back to the start so to speak with a new person.

I doubt that would happen as a professional instructor will just pick up where you have finished off with yer man - I'd get rid of him and I'd also tell him why in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

OLDYELLAR wrote:
    my instructor cancels me heaps and at the last minute , is this just bad luck or is it normal practice for them not to give a crud because they have a load of customers anyway ?
    Nope, cancel IMMEDIATELY!!!!

...and please don't say you got vouchers for 10 lessons from that joker at Christmas as a present?

Personally in the past I found that word-of-mouth and recommendation the only way to find a decent instructor.

That's the problem with driving instructors - there's no professional qualification to be an instructor in this country. Anyone with a full-driving licence can set up shop in the morning. Same for architects too!

I guess your right Ber , I`ll see how tomorrow goes , and if im still mad I`ll defo be calling up somebody else , Its a bit ridiculous it is at the end of the day his job to turn up on time , If i treated my job like he does his , I would`nt have one too long .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

Con9903 wrote:
    That instructor sounds like hes more trouble than he's worth, switch to a better one.

He is simply not professional grade. Switch and if you owe him any money, good, cancel the payments.
    If he/she belongs to a professional body, report him as unprofessional. No need to put up with that sort of carp.

• Advertisement

Im glad ye all agree because sometimes I do go off the handle in the wrong , but yea im even more convinced now , he`s a tosser , !

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It might do you no harm to go to another instructor anyway. Having the same instructor all the time can lead you into a false pretence where you can anticipate what he/she is going to ask you to do or where to go next. At least this way you will have the experience of having different instructors and hence make you less bothered about a complete stranger sitting next to you on the day of the test.

Thats true actually Bazz , never thought about it like that :)

Advertisement