Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4th year csm work experience

• 30-03-2005 6:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭

just wondering how big a help the college are in finding work for students next year. also what type of work are 4th years doing?

has anyone ever worked abroad on their work experience?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Dunno about CSM, but for my course's 3rd year work placement (networking degree), almost everyone got their own jobs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Gerry Maloney got most of the interviews for everyone this year. he just emailed the class every time a company offered some places and he said whoever was interested to email him back their CV. you can get ur own interviews too if u dont like being spoonfed, but i dont know anyone that got their own. most ppl i'd say are happy wit their placement this year anyway.

also, kegan5 from boards is doing her work experience in London.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭kegan5

Yeah I have to say that kegan one is great :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

self praise is no praise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭elvis2002

Compaines email the college looking for people and gerry just passes those on to students. The jobs coming this year are pure and utter crap though. In the networking job i think most of the jobs are not suited to somebody doing networking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

how much can we expect to get paid?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭seanos

Depends entirely up to the company
    Ye might get minium wage :)

Im getting paid €375 per week.

some companies are sound about it others will just use you as a gopher. I did work experience with offaly county council and got full benifits and wage.

what sort of work were you doing with offaly co council?

• Advertisement

I was working as an internal tech, doing machine and server upgrades. They moved building while i was there so there was lots of work with moving servers and settings them back up again. Its a good all round general job for experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭lulu

I just finished that course in dec and a couple of people worked abroad. One in amsterdam and the other in thailand, dont ask me how gerry checked up on them. he never came near me till i was nearly finished.

On the line of work, can anyone tell me the distance from carlow to leixlip, as in time/miles. I finally have to get my finger out and get a job and seeing as there is none around carlow i may look further.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Redrocket

4 minutes/45miles

4 minutes...thats about right!

lexlip what the **** is there, oh wait HP and Intel are. :-) . Lexlip is about 70 minutes away from Carlow in car. ~55 miles. On a bus it could be up to 2 hours away.

I was up in belfast all weekend installing a network. One thing i have seen in my first week is that students are treated like crap mostly, the lad supposed to be helping pissed off and spent the day on the phone while i had to fish for cables in the ceiling.

haha, what did you expect ?
    to be asked which brand of coffee you like, and which muffin you prefer ?
    also ... fishing for cables is experience, albeit boring at the time, it's something need to get used to - assuming you wish to be * admin ...
    also, when another guy feics off and leaves it to you - gives them an impression at how you cope on your own, without someone telling you the basics/reminding you to breathe out...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

has every one got a job yet?

ah woodyg, the sleaziest man ever to work in woodies!hows the new job going?

sleazy is such a harsh word id comsider low down dirty rotten b*****d to be better.

Job is grand so far people are dead on and if i dont learn anythin working here ill never will!

How's the jive with u?

ah nothing much, working on the project, tis looking good. should be finished by friday/saturday then work on the manual for it. its due the 15th. our last term sucks a**, we have a few assesments to do and finished the project!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

Everyone's last term sucks ass. We have project, networking assignment, 2 graphics assignments, and 5 assessments to come in the next month, be glad youre not in my class.

what course u in?

afaik we have at least four assesments, project and three assignments. its crazy! and it is impossible to get a computer!!! me needs a laptop! anyon giving one away?!

ah college an the leavin it till the last minute ya got to love it!
    Its allways the same each year for every course they try to shove it all in the last month.

actually woody while your there, do you know how to configure the php.ini file to send email using the mail() function in 303/305?

send mail ... to who/where?
    sending mail outbound is not allowed.
    So you will be able to send mail to your local computer (if you setup a mail server on the local computer obviously), default settings should be sufficient (localhost & port 25)

Im afraid ya can only send mail to your local machine. to send to other people i.e. a yahoo mail address ya have to figure some way around the college firewall or ask for permission to use the college mail server for demonstration purposes they let ya do it if ya ask niece.

ya have to set a sending email address in the .ini file it's a real pain cause of the way the college is setup.

i sent ya a pm wheres me jumppa

they will not allow you go through their mail server/firewall, believe me smile.gif

as for circumventing - i strongly discourage - apart from the fact they have good reason to block you, circumventing shows intent, and then feics things over for everyone, as they secure the network even more, making it less usable (constant fight for any admin, making a system as usable and nice as possible VS security)

i was talking to the admins this morning, they seemd grand about it. we came to an agreement for internal messages, which suits me fine.

• Advertisement

Well ... sending mail within the room / to your own PC ... the latter requires no interaction with them, and if you cannot get that working, you won't be able to get the former working.

Advertisement