Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nintendony

Options
  • 30-03-2005 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭

so how many of you folks who bought a DS are gonna bail it for the PSP??
    or are you non - fanboy -ish enough to keep both??

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Not any time soon... Friend of mine who has a PSP is looking for a DS as well now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Did just that i am afraid to say, promised myself I wouldn't, saw an edge article on the PSP, took the time to finish Wario Touched and sold it, got 160 euro plus a Gameboy SP. Took the cash put it off my credit card and went spending on a PSP with DVDsoon.
    Should have it in the AM.
    After seeing a guy selling a DS for 100 euro on the FS pages, I think I did the right thing, probably get one in the early autumn for 100 with a couple of games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

i keep both i reckon, gonna wait for PSP to be released here (yeah, i know it will be a while), but ill have some spare cash when it arrives..

• Registered Users Posts: 54,342 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

psp guy here

ds is ok but nothing compares to the psp

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

i haven't seen a game on the psp yet, that I wouldn't rather play on a ps2 with a tv.

Been playing the DS constatnly since i bought it - WarioWare, Polarium and Yoshi! Touch And Go, all original clever games. Great stuff. Looking forward to games like Band Brothers, Nintendogs, Electroplankton, Kirby etc. Don't see myself ditching my DS.

Having said that, I'll keep an eye on the psp and see how it goes - I may pick up one in the future (if they improve the battery life).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

I imported both. The DS in December and the PSP last month. At the moment I much prefer the PSP and don't see that changing much. The PSP currently has better games, feels nicer to hold, obviously looks better, has some nice added features(although I've only watched movies on it for the novelty value, it's a games machine first and foremost) and has more potential. The DS has Warioware, which is great, but little else going for it right now. Still waiting for that killer app that will really make proper use of the unique features of the DS. I reckon the PSP will have a constant stream of quality games coming out for it, whereas the DS won't have so many, but it will have a few gems, so they're both worth having in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

I have a ds and I won't be getting rid of it any time soon. Looking forward to electroplankton, metroid, advance wars and all, I'm thinking I'd have been as well to buy it a few months down the line rather than straight away, but seeing people's reaction to wario ware has made it worthwhile-it's one of 2 games my mother has played and liked, the other being bust a move, amazing game that.
    As it is the only game on the psp that interests me is lumines, but i'll get one eventually, I'm just waiting for mobile parappa....and the college year to be over before I get a second crucifix.

Like steviec said they're both worth having, and I certainely don't see a reason to sell the ds when you buy a psp, well none that don't involve money or pocket space any way.....

As it is the only game on the psp that interests me is lumines

Meteos is supposed be better, cannt wait to get the English version... :)

Both consoles need more solid titles I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I have a DS and I really like it. I've got WarioWare, Super Mario 64 DS (just completed it this evening :) ) and Polarium. WarioWare's addictive, but far too easy. Polarium's good too, and, well, Mario is Mario. It rocks. I'm looking forward to Metroid Prime Hunters, Another Code, Meteos, Lost in Blue, Advance Wars DS... And I'm also interested to see exactly what the developers can do with the touch screen. Plus I can still play all my old games. Have 2 on the go at once, if I get annoyed or stuck with a DS game, I can just abandon it for a while and play a GBA game. (probably WarioWare again... :rolleyes: )
    For the moment I'm not too interested in the PSP. For starters, I can't afford one. Also I'm not really interested in an endless stream of PS2 ports. If I wanted to play PS2 games, I'd buy a cheap secondhand PS2. Also the battery life would drive me up the wall. I'm conditioned by Game Boy Advance SP ownership to expect a reasonably long battery life from my handhelds, and I even think the DS could do with a longer battery life (I get about 11 hours). So 4-6 hours on the PSP would make me want to break stuff. That would be charging every 2-3 days for me. My phone lasts longer than that. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭dearg_doom

You foolish nitendony fanboiz!!1

Gizmondo will eat ye for breakfast...(whenever some games get released for it... *ahem*)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭TCamen

I'll probably wait for the PSP to come out here & have a look then.
    Got my DS at Christmas -- currently have Mario 64 DS, XY/XX, Yoshi & WarioWare. I have to say that all in all, the DS is proving quite limited based on these titles. As I mentioned in another thread, Nintendo will seriously have to figure out some new application for the touch screen, and actually integrate the microphone into a game past just blowing on it.
    The minigames in Mario pretty much do everything with the touchscreen/microphone that is being used by the current batch of games I've played.
    Yoshi is ok, but really should be cheaper for what you get, OR include some extra gaming, like a new Yoshi Island platformer.
    WarioWare is WAAAAY too easy, and unfortunately there's not enough extras to make replaying all the minigames worthwhile.
    XY/XX is fun while you're playing through it the first time, but again, there's little reason to pick up and play it after the game is complete.

I just hope there's some new DS titles that make owning the DS worthwhile!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I'm currently playing Sprung on my DS.

It's pretty funny.... it's like an 1980's teen rom com simulator.

But it really wouldn't be to everyones taste.

Animal Crossing DS is the game I looking forward to more than any other game this year though. Yes, even more than the new Zelda...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭TCamen

I'm currently playing Sprung on my DS.

I'd read a few bad reviews of it, though I was half-tempted to check it out for myself with the lower price tag - something Nintendo should think about for their DS releases that don't really justify a €40-€50 price tag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

1980's teen rom com simulator.

This will be the big genre on next-gen consoles!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,399 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'll be waiting for Mercury on the PSP before I consider getting one. Nothing on either machine has really grabbed me (wipeout looks nice but I'll wait for a respectable place to review it first). Have a DS but after I got sick of warioware I'm playing gba games on it. Mario DS makes me want to gnaw on the DS because the controls are so frustrating. I think Meteos will be my next purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭smokingman

Have my DS since euro launch and am quite happy with it.
    I always try to hold on to any console I buy (still have an old pong game with dials as controllers!) so won't be selling it anytime soon.

Though I am a ninty fanboy, I like to think I'm quite open minded on the psp.
    Sure I won't buy it but I'm not going to flame anyone who does.

I just think sony made some bad design mistakes with it and should've first and formost figured out how to protect that lovely sized screen...maybe it's an attempt to make people buy 2 or 3 of them during it's software life-cycle?

oh yeah, and then there's the dead pixel issue...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

hairball wrote:
    so how many of you folks who bought a DS are gonna bail it for the PSP??
    or are you non - fanboy -ish enough to keep both??

Got a DS, play in once in a while, only has one game (SM64) because as far as I can tell it is the only game out at the mo that is worth spending money on ... like the fact that it is also a backlit GBA, really got back into all my old GBA games that I hadn't touched in nearly two years.

But when it comes down to it the DS is an interesting distraction where the PSP is going to kick ass. It is a portable playstation 2, where as the DS is a portable Snes (it is not a portable N64, far from it) with some 3D and a stylus (still not sure wtf is the point of the stylus) thrown in to make it look next gen. In my view it is not nearly far enought ahead of the GBA. They didn't even make the screen bigger. They could have joined the power from the two DS screens together to make a widescreen similar to the PSP.

Nintendo really have to start getting some good games, that actually use the second screen and stylus, out soon or the DS is just going to be pointless

Wicknight wrote:
    the DS is a portable Snes (it is not a portable N64, far from it) with some 3D and a stylus

GFX are better then N64 so the main diference is the lack of an analogue stick, calling it a SNES with 3D is very unfair.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Well, considering (imo) the SNES was the greatest console of all time, I'd be happy with it. DS is not a portable SNES, its a portable N64. The GBA was a portable SNES.

I wont be buying either. After considering both, I decided that I would go for the DS just because of the games. But after seeing both in real life I wouldn't consider either of them portable. The size of the SP was perfect, wish they could bring it back to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭smokingman

Penny Arcade I think says it best.....

http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php3

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Rew wrote:
    GFX are better then N64 so the main diference is the lack of an analogue stick, calling it a SNES with 3D is very unfair.

The graphics aren't better than N64, that is just something Nintendo have jumped upon because people say the graphics in SM64 DS are better than SM64. The polycount in Super Mario 64 DS is higher than the models on the N64 version, but the DS doesn't do things like mip-mapping and other advance 3D processor features, and SM64 was the first game for the N64, of course it looked crap. I doubt the DS would be capable of anywhere near the graphic standard of something like Zelda on the N64

Also the vast majority of games for the DS at the moment seem to be 2D. Maybe a Snes with 3D is unfair, I think a better example is the Sega Saturn, which had very powerful 2D, but rather weak and hard to program 3D, capabilities.

But the lack of an analog stick is the main reason why I say this is not a portable N64. The controls on the DS are worse, in my opinion, than the GBA, and no where near the standard of the N64

Don't get me wrong, I like the DS, I own one myself, and I look forward to the games that are going to come out on it. Never write off Nintendo, while Sony and Microsoft are happy to churn out one driving game and football game after another, Nintendo consistently make the best, most revolutionary games.

What I am saying is that we shouldn't kid ourself that the DS is something it is not. It is not something that can compete directly with the hardware power or the software quality of the PSP. The PSP is in a different league. Nintendo need to focus on the unique points of the DS and actually create games that use these properly. So far they aren't doing this, compare Ridge Racer on the DS and the PSP. No comparision. If they don't develop to the unique strenghts of the DS it is just going to be the lot less powerful version of the PSP, and go the way of the Saturn when faced with the quality of the original PlayStation

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,399 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There are only small differences in the N64 and DS version of Mario64. The big difference is that the DS doesn't have bilinear filtering. However the DS also doesn't have the N64 blur. I think that the DS version looks far crisper and also runs at a much higher frame rate than the N64 version (and for the record the DS can do mipmapping). We still really haven't seen anything that really pushes the DS graphically.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭hairball

hmmmm...interesting stuff folks...the general consensus seems to be keep both,
    something I'd agree with..they seem to be very machines(I have neither) and hopefully the market will support em both

Well the US sales (of the PSP) have only been ok (about 500k) so Sony may be in a better postion, stock wise, to launch here soon.

They're launching in S.Korea on May 2nd now! WITH a (albeit limited) web browser

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

Rew wrote:
    Well the US sales (of the PSP) have only been ok (about 500k) so Sony may be in a better postion, stock wise, to launch here soon.

thats the same amount the DS sold in the same amount of time. When you consider the DS launched in the Christmas period, its actually better than ok, theyre great sales numbers

dearg_doom wrote:
    They're launching in S.Korea on May 2nd now! WITH a (albeit limited) web browser
    There also partnered with a major WiFi hotspot provider to give PSP access all over the country...

Yeah I guess the only reason is that country is number1 for BB penetration, it's kinda crap you have to pay to use the web though

And the browser is on a UMD-> battery draining!

dearg_doom wrote:
    And the browser is on a UMD-> battery draining!

Nah, once its loaded it should just run from RAM and not drainf the battery much.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

In case anyone is interested in the Nintendo Revolution there are strong rumours that they are going with the Nexus design...

http://www.remal.com/upload/N5.jpg

Advertisement