Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jj72

Options
  • 30-03-2005 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭

anyone heard of JJ72? they are from dublin. personally i think they are very good. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,187 ✭✭✭kensutz

yeah and they've been around for a few years now. playing waterford on May 7th. Got a self titled album and I To Sky as the follow up with another one out shortly

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭marshmallow

yeah, they are playing a few irish gigs soon but none in dublin. what's the reason for that? i've heard 'an album coming out shortly' for a while but when??

Summer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

weren't they the next big thing until I for the sky undersold?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,217 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Pretty much, the debut album showed some promise. Most notable for the extremely girly voice of their lead singer and some pretty good melodies in their songs. I liked about half the album and they played a decent set at the first U2 Slane gig.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

They're pretty much back where they started now, I to Sky didn't do much in the way of selling records and they've been pretty inactive for awhile. The lead singer's voice is just grating though. Only average imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

they don't serve much of a purpose now their ice-queen uber-minx bassist has departed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭idontknowmyname

Yeah Hilary was only chosen for the band cause Mark thought she looked like D'Arcy and he wanted the whole Pumpkins vibe goin on, she didn't even know how to play bass.

I have both their albums and went to their last gig in The Olympia, good gig even if Mark is a bit of an ego-maniac.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭eskimo

New album is due out at the end of the summer, so mid to late August probably. Can't wait for it! When they were out years ago my taste in music was quite different to say the least so I wasn't a fan, but now I love their songs and am looking forward to their comeback.

No dublin date scheduled as yet, I presume that'll change in the coming weeks. Otherwise I'm heading to Galway on May 11th for the night! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Back when i was still actively playing music my old band played a gig with them. Bear in mind we were all around 16 or 17, a good while before they got anywhere, and my god they were an obnoxious bunch of stuck up bastards, even back then. Mightve had something to do with the face we were playing metal and they were doing the whiny angst thing :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭ronano

I like them but come on they are sub pumpkin rip offs with atrocious lyrics,i'm glad you said they were stuck up ***** for its enjoyable knowing that they'll never ahve the justification for it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭eskimo

Ticketmaster aren't selling tix for their May gigs, only for 3 of them. Anyone know if they're gonna start selling them at any stage?

I'm gonna have to go down to Galway just to buy my tix for the Roisin Dubh gig.

Is anyone going to any of their gigs in May? And where?
    Is there a Dublin date expected to be added?

parasite wrote:
    they don't serve much of a purpose now their ice-queen uber-minx bassist has departed

*Yum, yum* What happened to her?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

"Why won't it snow, what is it that they know?"

C unts TBH.

• Site Banned Posts: 5 gugai

eskimo wrote:
    I'm gonna have to go down to Galway just to buy my tix for the Roisin Dubh gig.

you can buy them buy credit card by calling redlight records on 091 533888

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭yossarin

Deadwing wrote:
    Back when i was still actively playing music my old band played a gig with them. Bear in mind we were all around 16 or 17, a good while before they got anywhere, and my god they were an obnoxious bunch of stuck up bastards, even back then. Mightve had something to do with the face we were playing metal and they were doing the whiny angst thing :D

yeah - I met them one time while they were recording their first album.
    Rude arsehales. especially the singer.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,217 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

gugai wrote:
    you can buy them buy credit card by calling redlight records on 091 533888
    Never one to miss a chance for a plug, eh Gugai?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭pixie_student

Yep seen that advertised in the paper about jj72 playing Ten.. It does seem they are going a bit backwards.. Playing Slane 2003 and then Ten 2005 but i'll still be along to show my support. They are a good band with some good songs.

Some good bands on their way to waterford in the next while.. Bellx1, Blink, Frames, Damien Rice just to name a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I absolutely despised them. Had been hoping they'd gone, never to reappear but sadly they're back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

I thought there first album was really good with classics like Long Way South and October Swimming. But there last album was too enwrapped in Religion, having a song titled Oiche Mhaith (probably spelt wrong) does not belong on an alternative artists album.

Although Hillary Woods is Hot!, just had to put that in!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭ronano

few new songs have leaked on their offical site

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 el scorcho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭eggshapedfred

*Yum, yum* What happened to her?
    she got pregnant and left the band.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

the slag ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

Some girl called Sarah has replaced her, anyone got a picture of her, there website only has news on it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Man on mir

Yeah Sarah Fox, she's on all the new posters and theres a picture of her on jj72.org. I think she's English.... not sure though, she was in a band before called the Valves...I think at least I absoloutely love JJ72, both their albums are fantastic in my opinion, I to Sky wasn't a commercial success but still a great record, at least I believe so, the album was such a progression, compare the likes of 7th wave and bumble bee.anyone going to their gigs?

Bumble bee is a great song, I'm going to the Waterford gig. I have an operation on the 5th but it wont stop me seeing them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

Yeah Hilary was only chosen for the band cause Mark thought she looked like D'Arcy and he wanted the whole Pumpkins vibe goin on, she didn't even know how to play bass.
    And he was roidin' her twin sister......the little ****...... :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭RichyX

Was riding her twin sis even!

Their first album was very overrated and I've no idea how they managed to push half a million copies of it.
    I to Sky was excellent though, the religious theme was a bit silly when it was so blatant and obvious but there was still alot of quality tracks on there.

JJ72 in the Savoy 2002 was my first gig so may well check them out if they're around these parts again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭Serbian

Deadwing wrote:
    Back when i was still actively playing music my old band played a gig with them.

Interested to know where you played the gig with them?

Advertisement