Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trouble with broadband

• 30-03-2005 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭

Im wondering if anyone can help me with this.

1st I live basically across the street from the rathedmond exchange in sligo, I can see it from here right now.

Late last year I was having loads of trouble getting broadband, eventually I found out that my line was a carrier line, and a friend of a friend (who is an eircom adsl tech) called up to my house and told me that it was getting upgraded within in the next 2 weeks, sure enough it was, but my line still failed, even though my neighbours (all 7 of them who are on the same line (which to make it worse comes from a box which is in my back garden) could.

So not accepting the fail result, I rang 1901 and reported a fault, the lady I got was really helpful and when I explained the whole situation to her, she said she would run a test for me. She called me back in 3 minutes and said, ya that line is perfect, Ive tested it twice and its able for broadband, I asked her how long would it be for the result to show online and she said a few days.

So I was checking online regularly and 5 days later, almost down to the hour, it passed online. I ordered it straight away and thankfully I have it now, and Ive got no problems with it.

Now the real funny bit is, my friend, he has the exact same problem, all his neighbours can get it, he cant, eircom even sent a sales rep when his street was upgraded from there carrier lines, and he basically ordered adsl right there, then 2 weeks later, he got a letter saying thanks, but your line has failed.

So I gave my call ago to see if it might work, and again, 5 days after the test (which passed fine) his line was passing online. He even called up when he seen the result, and i checked it out too, because I thought he was taken the piss. So I seen it my own eyes.

Now he went to order it the following day and suprise suprise his line was failing again.

So again we tried calling and this time nothing, that was a few months a go now. I though last week id give it another go, and was talking to some right old bitch in the faults department, she said she can only test for voice, and has nothing to do with broadband, so after trying to argue, how come one of your collegues could, she eventually passed me to the broadband department.

I had to listen to the whole tech speech as to why I cant broadband (pretending to be my friend) and even when I told him about my situation, he basically called me a liar, and just wouldnt beleive that the line ever showed as a pass.

I really have had it with eircom and there support who seem to have a sheet of quick answers, which seem to come to an end after, have you got more than 1 phone in the house??

Does anyone have any idea on away to get his line to pass, I mean it did already we know it can.

And please, dont say, does he Have 2 phones, or, he might be interested in ISDN, (if I hear that once more, my head is gonna explode ) :D

Thanks for any help, and sorry you had to read all that.
    Al

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭-Al-

o......k.....

are your building up to something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭diarmo

If there was a time the line passed, even for a day, then they must have records of it somewhere....its the law I think.

Right then,
    Is the master eircom RJ11 face plate the newser version with "eircom" written on it with 2 visible screws or the much older version from many years ago with a single screw and no eircom logo???

From what I have read the newer eircom face plates have a noise filter built into them to improve the chances of broadband acceptance.
    Also faulty wiring could be the cause?!?!

But honestly you'll need some equipment to measure the attenuation(resistance) level in your line.
    Too high and you fail...
    Also with the introduction of a minimum 1mbit connection by eircom...the attenuation level must be even lower.

When I run a test on my ZyXEL 623 I get:
    relative capacity occupation: 6% 
    noise margin downstream: 45.5 db
    output power upstream: 2.0 dbm
    attenuation downstream: 16.0 db

for downstream.

As far as I know if:
    noise margin downstream: 45.5 db
    was 60 db then I would fail the line test in the UK for 512Kbit Broadband.
    With 45.5 db I might just scrape a 2mbit download connection according to the BT rules.

The downstream noise margin in Ireland must be below 50 db for some reason as BT have a much larger footprint radius than eircom.
    But that increased range is beginning to bite BT in the ass now as their current 2mbit upgrades are at best only available to 60% of current broadband customers!!

Basically eircom worked out that pissing off possible Broadband customers rather than current Broadband customers was a better idea!

Im afraid without digging up their records on the day you passed to prove that it was an acceptable line...your up against the firewall of pissed off and over stressed call centre staff!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 moloneyg

Hi,

I read about the noise issues with getting DSL, does anybody know what the minimum requierd values for Downstream & Upstream for: SNR Margin, Line Attenuation, and Output Power?

I mean the exact figures, is it 10 or 11dB for Line Attenuation?

If someone reads this and is in the situation that there line passed then failed, I was wondering do they have the DSL stats for the present connection?

Regards,

Gerry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭julius

You'll need an eircom technician to help you out there I'm afraid.

SNT under 5db.....................double digits would be much more stable
    and
    Attenuations above 60db...........in the 40's range for safety

is cutting it fine for a pass/fail from what I've read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭-Al-

well he checks his line regularly, and last weekend, it came up a pass, sent me a text to have a look, didnt get the text till sunday, checked, failing again, but he took a screenshot of it, and emailed them a nice letter including a line about moving to smart telecom etc.

So we'll see what happens, he did say that an eircom tech was doing something on his line yesterday, but his mum told him and she didnt know much about it.

Al

Advertisement