Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Predictions

Options
  • 30-03-2005 11:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭

This could be a long thread, but have u any particular predictions for the leaving Cert? Feel free to criticise mine but ive heard that the following are likely to appear in June.
    Put in the level the subjects are at, and why u think it will come up.

History (H) - Sinn Fein's success in 1918 election (centinary year) French 3rd Repub (usually bismarck or this and bismarck came up last year)

English (H) - Dickinson (hasn't come up, 50 year anniversary of publishing some colllection of hers), Boland (one female poet always comes up)

Business (H) - Law of Contract

Geography (H) - Italy, Coastal features (both haven't come up in a while, they are a pretty sure bet)

Irish (H) - Ruraiocht, clann lir, fiosracht mna. (based on exam papers, ruraiocht comes up every second year, other stories didnt show up last year)

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Is that higher Irish you're referring to? Put in the level if you're going to have predictions!!

Irish (H) - Cath Chéim an Fhia
    English (H) - Dickinson, Yeats
    Classical Studies (H) - Propertius

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Errant11235

Physics : Its been 100 years since Einstein announced his 3 famous papers so I think E=Mc^2 is going to be fairly prominent in both pass and higher.
    So will Photoemission.

English : Wordsworth ( hasn't come up in new course so far I think!), Yeats, Boland.

The entire exam may be based around the theme of suffering.

Irish : Clann Lir at [P]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭Caoimhe

Irish (H) - An Lasair Choille has come up the last 3 years in a row, definitely won't be on. Ur Chnoic Chein Mhic Cainte is meant to be a safe bet for coming up. Essay will be on terrorism or the environment

English (H) - Yeats, Dickenson and Eliot

Geography (H) - Coasts should come up, all 3 other things came up last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭hada

History (H) :

A:
    Sinn féin 1905-1918 (possibly up to 1926...)
    Land Question
    Butt
    John Redmond + IPP 1900 - 1918

B.
    Eamonn Dev:Biog
    Fianna fáil econ policies 32-39
    1st Interparty Govt 48-51

C.
    Stalin
    Franco Prussian
    3rd French Repub
    Tsarist Russia - Alex III
    - Nicholas II
    - Revolution in russia, 1917.. Why??

(you could also learn the easter question. It was highly tipped for last year but didnt come up, so it might come up this year instead)

D.
    Mussolini (rise, domestic, foreign, life)
    Hitler's changing of germany to a totalitarian state 33-39

cant remember my other tips for section D...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Young Siward

The entire exam may be based around the theme of suffering.

Out of interest is that what many people are thinking will come up??? Paper One never follows a set pattern when it comes down to the theme. We thought war etc. might make an appearance last year, but it was Work and Play of all things. I'd bet my money on a more uplifting theme, or articles that'll be chosen for the candidates to 'enjoy' (!).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭the smiley one

Anyone got biology tips by any chance?

Chemistry:
    Q2 - ethanal/ethanol

For Irish HL, my teacher is convinced that Sceimhlitheoireacht will come up, but something similar came up last year "Bagairt and baol ár linne" something like that anyway, so whay would it come up again? plus there hasn't been anything *major in the news to warrant a whole essay on it. Just wondering..........

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 **katie**

hada wrote:
    History (H) :

D.
    Mussolini (rise, domestic, foreign, life)
    Hitler's changing of germany to a totalitarian state 33-39

cant remember my other tips for section D...

For section D, the Spanish Civil War is almost a cert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭mickomack

Irish(H)-Urchnoc Cheim mhic cainte or cath cheim an fhia

Construction Studies(H)-Q1-Wheelchair accessible door(eg.ramp 15 degrees)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

geography: enviroment coz of kyoto protocol, seas in physical
    english: something cheerful and lighthearted! not too sure that a female poet will def come up as there's no definite rule about the dept. being PC and it could only be coincidence that one has come up every year!!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Accounting manufacturing trading profit and loss account with balance sheet.

i'll be shocked if this doesn't come up, but i'll also be so happy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭sarahg_angel69

ENGLISH:: have heard from a number of people that dickinson and yeats are sure bets for june!!
    GEOGRAPHY:: coastal features were on alot of the mocks!

ne help for me on this one??? you reckon that regional will come up n not core periphery on the higher course???

IRISH:: (higher) faoilean in the pass poem section
    ruriocht

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭randomfella

ne help for me on this one??? you reckon that regional will come up n not core periphery on the higher course???

Do u mean Geography higher level?
    If u do the regional question it usually has divide a country into regions and justify it, with the aid of a sketch map (100m)
    OR
    Core - periphery regions. Give characteristics and give 2examples (60m)
    Some other part (40m)

The one most people hope for is the first one, but the questions usally alternate yearly and last year the first one came up. But i'm just hoping they'll be nice.

F*ck actually i haven't really prepared for that 2nd one at all.

By the looks of it, its quite different, you can't really write the same for the two. And the 2nd one is usually done, using France as far as i know(even though u can use whatever you like). Anybody else got an insight?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

C.
    Stalin
    Wrong section
    :D
    He's in D with the other Dictators.

History
    A - Home Rule/Parnell
    B - Security in the Irish State
    C - 3rd French Republic
    D - Stalin

That's not all I'm studying (I'm doing all three dictators, Stalin, Hitler and then Mussloini in that order of importence...one of them _has_ to come up), it's just what I'd like and think will come up...

There basing a lot of the new course around Wilhelm the Second, so wheter that means there will be a quesiton about him, or they'll hold off, is up to you I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Scraggs wrote:
    english: something cheerful and lighthearted! not too sure that a female poet will def come up as there's no definite rule about the dept. being PC and it could only be coincidence that one has come up every year!!

The DoE specifies in the syllabus that each pupil must learn at least one female poet or something like that. The part of the reason for the new course was that the old course was very predictable and they didn't want that so I think it would be foolish to just put all your money on Dickinson and Yeats. I do think they are likely to come up as is Elliot. I also think that Kavanagh might come up as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭sarahg_angel69

Do u mean Geography higher level?
    If u do the regional question it usually has divide a country into regions and justify it, with the aid of a sketch map (100m)
    OR
    Core - periphery regions. Give characteristics and give 2examples (60m)

went throught the papers today with the geog teacher ans as regions nd core n periphery came up last year she is not sure but that she would put a bet on regions as in 2003 core periphery came up!!! nd italy is likely to come up!

Anyone have any tips on business? I need them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Shyster

Gaeilge HL: Rúraiochts a dead cert, poetry's a gamble

English HL: It says in the syllabus that there will be equality of gender, era and nationality(ie.anglo irish or other) on every paper....now its obvious-you work it out

Biology anyone?would it be too predictable to think that because there wasnt much new material on 04 paper that they'll put it on this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

Accounting

I`m not doing Q1 (hate it witha a passion) but eveyone is saying its defo going to be the manufacturing.

Section 1: In the 60 mark Qs I reckon Farm Accounts and Control Accounts.

Section 2: Published Account

Section 3: Im almost certain Production Budgets will come up.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Shyster wrote:
    Biology anyone?would it be too predictable to think that because there wasnt much new material on 04 paper that they'll put it on this year?
    It might be a bit too predictable, but if you're going to try predicting something it's probably more certain than many other theories... In terms of the layout of the paper, in section C there's always one question from unit 1, two questions from unit 2, three questions from unit 3... Which means it's most likely that either ecology or food science is a given question there. I reckon enzymes will come up this year too, and if anything can be left out it'll probably be photosynthesis

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Geog (H): Cost / Glaciation / Rivers. Core Periphery of France/Italy or Regional Division of same countries.

English (H): Boland / Dickinson / Heaney. Hamlet - Theme of Death.

Also, that one about Construction Studies - what makes you think thats coming up?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Isabella

Chemistry: Section A: Bleach/winkler
    Ethanal/ethnaoic acid
    Experiment to illustrate le chatelier's principle

On section B, i expect water treatment, chromatography, how an indicator works and the mechanism for a substitution reaction to make an appearance

Economics: Imperfect competition, Banking/inflation, taxation, economic objectives of goverment, labour.

French: Drugs in sport, environment, banning of religious symbols in french schools, penalty point system and refugees

Irish: Sceimlithoireacht, an timpeallacht, na teifigh, drugaí i spoirt, faoileán, úrchnoc chein mhic cainte, teangmhail, ruraíocht, bealoidis, an dán díreach, bardscoileanna

if you make a prediction say why.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

yes please do say why.

Scully: why do think France/Italy will come up in geo and how in gods name can you pick out a specific them for Hamlet?

Well i can explain italy, it hasn't come up in the last few years, and every year they put it on, its the most attempted question. Considering its the final year i reckon they will put it on, but thats if they're not evil. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Camogie Playa

Isabella wrote:
    Chemistry: Section A: Bleach/winkler
    Ethanal/ethnaoic acid
    Experiment to illustrate le chatelier's principle

On section B, i expect water treatment, chromatography, how an indicator works and the mechanism for a substitution reaction to make an appearance

Economics: Imperfect competition, Banking/inflation, taxation, economic objectives of goverment, labour.

French: Drugs in sport, environment, banning of religious symbols in french schools, penalty point system and refugees

Irish: Sceimlithoireacht, an timpeallacht, na teifigh, drugaí i spoirt, faoileán, úrchnoc chein mhic cainte, teangmhail, ruraíocht, bealoidis, an dán díreach, bardscoileanna

How can you be so certain about the economics, french and irish?Not insulting you or anything, just curious to knnow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭mickomack

(/QUOTE)Also, that one about Construction Studies - what makes you think thats coming up?[/QUOTE]

The new building regulations of a door came in in 2001 if i'm not mistaken and it hasn't been asked to date as they were waiting for people to get used to the new regulations and since Wheelchair access. is an almost cert to come up it may be moved to q1 this year instead of q2,Happy Sully?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Isabella

Obviously I'm not certain, they're just predictions. My predictions about economics are based on topics that haven't appeared on the paper in a while. I heard somewhere that the theme of Leaving Cert 2005 is "the environment" so it's quite possible that it will appear on the irish or french paper. The other predictions i made were based on items that were big in the news at the time the papers were written

Ok thanks. That reason is good enough for me.I also had hints but ive lost them somewhere at home, but soon as i find them ill post them!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Beau wrote:
    yes please do say why.

Scully: why do think France/Italy will come up in geo and how in gods name can you pick out a specific them for Hamlet?

I presume your addressing me, just remove the "C" and you got my nick right.

France/Italy - Told by our teacher, says its been a trend over the past few years.

English - It was just a guess/prediction that perhaps the Theme Of Death will come up, as it has never before, and its a good question to come up as the theme is evident throughout. Thats how.

• Advertisement

Biology
    Plant reproduction, asexual rep, veg prop. Long quest
    2.Ecology
    3.Genetic Crosses
    2 1/2 questions 1 full question and 1/2 question
    Dna profiling experiment and short question

Sect A Human Sytem (diagrams functions
    Sect B Human System (not heart)

Q14 or 15 Photosynthesis or Respiration.
    Got those hints on one of those revision courses

Advertisement