Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Predictions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Africa

German-well....i say study a dictionary for these cause it is totally random...except the letter...
    Geography-France, Field Work, a coastal map and probably Coasts and Glaciation. I want rivers though.
    English: I dunno....a female poet, probably Wordsworth too, possibly Longley. The rest i dunno...
    Accounting Manufacturing, Interpretation, Marginal Costing?, Tabular Statements?
    Any ideas for art and Physics?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

mickomack wrote:
    (/QUOTE)Also, that one about Construction Studies - what makes you think thats coming up?

The new building regulations of a door came in in 2001 if i'm not mistaken and it hasn't been asked to date as they were waiting for people to get used to the new regulations and since Wheelchair access. is an almost cert to come up it may be moved to q1 this year instead of q2,Happy Sully?[/QUOTE]

Hey I wasnt bitching, just wanted to know why!? ;P The External Door with a cavity came up on my pre actually.. so you never know. Any other predictions ? :D even tips cause I suck at Const!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭mickomack

As you probably know the U Value is a gauranteed question so make sure you know that,Q10 planning permission is gauranteed,Central heating system practically gauranteed,Stairs maybe this year seems likely,Make sure you know the functions of everything,moisture penetration,sewage treatment etc.. There is not much else i can say really only to study everything,it really is a broad course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭randomfella

africa why do u think it will be a coastal map - geog?
    I heard it too off my teacher, maybe somewhere like killybegs.
    But i was told if that comes up they prob won't put up coastal on physical.

Well......see there has been a fair amount of inner maps over the last few years, i think there will be one on the coast and it will have questions about fishing and that. If not, i think it will be somewhere with mountians and a river and possibly a lake too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

For chemistry, we got a tip off our teacher (writes the mock papers) that either the Bleach titration or Thiosulphate titration is looking very likely.

In Physics, the gravity by pendulum is also looking likely.

Thats all so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Isabella

My friend was at the English revision course at Easter in Leeson Street and the teacher told them that they should concentrate on the two female poets, Yeats, Polonius and the theme of revenge in Hamlet. Do the teachers in the Institute have info about what will appear on the paper? I've always wondered this.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Isabella wrote:
    My friend was at the English revision course at Easter in Leeson Street and the teacher told them that they should concentrate on the two female poets, Yeats, Polonius and the theme of revenge in Hamlet. Do the teachers in the Institute have info about what will appear on the paper? I've always wondered this.

Polonius?! LOL. What a question that would be. I was told Claudius is due up...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 k8e

for H economics:
    elasticity is a DEF!!
    labour
    tax
    banking
    imperfect competition
    demank/supply (demand is d most likely of d 2 2 come up dis yr)
    these r my teacher's predictions and d women is never wrong.

for H english:
    boland, yeats, dickinson
    as for hamlet concentrate on hamlet's character and claudius the villian of the play. the theme is said to be revenge.
    for comparative text vision and view point is a DEF!!
    these predictions vr from a revision course i went to.

for anyone doing O irish:
    brid, treall, faoilean are d poems to study

does anyone have any ideas wat may come up for business cos im at a loss and any more economics or biology predictions wud b great. thanks!!

Oh yeah, i meant Claudius. Sorry.

• Advertisement

I think for economics there will definitely be a consumer-type question ; assumptions of consumer behaviour, law of equi marginal returns, law of diminshing marginal utility, Inferior/giffen goods, etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Rredwell

Gaeilge (ÁL):
    Fíliocht:
    Mac Eile ag Imeacht
    Faoileán
    Chlaon Mé Mo Chean

Dánta Dualgais Breise:
    Dán ar bith a iarraidh i 2001 nó 2002,
    Úrchnoc Chéin Mhic Cáinte (2002)
    Fiacha an tSolais (2001)
    Cath Chéim an Fhia (2001)
    Teangmháil (2002)
    mar tá 8 dán ann agus ní iarrfar na ceithre dán ó 2004 agus 2003.
    (Any of the 4 from 2001 and 2002, because there are 8 poems and they won't ask any of the 4 from 2003 and 2004.)

Próis
    Clann Lir
    Fiosracht Mhná
    Lasair Choille

Geography:
    I can only hazard a guess at the Regional, and I would definitely say the role of a natural resource(s) (sea, oil and gas to Norway; tourism in Spain; port of Rotterdam in Holland) in the economy of a country, as it has not been asked since 2001. It's a good questrion to prepare, if a little too rich in facts and figures. I am surprised no-one has mentioned it yet.

What are the possible questions you could be asked? i'm not really sure apart from the past papers what to expect.

Claudius - came up in 2002? the question about his struggle with claudius.
    Hamlet - his complex character 2002?
    Imagery in hamlet. - tough question
    Theme of decay, disease and poison.

I really don't know what else. i've heard before that for an A in a Hamlet q. A quote per para is required. Anybody else able shed some light on this?

English (H):
    I really don't know what else. i've heard before that for an A in a Hamlet q. A quote per para is required. Anybody else able shed some light on this?

Don't know. Read the syllabus this morning but it doesn't go into that much detail. But that does sound like a good rule, as each paragraph deals with an idea, and each quotation can support that idea. No harm to practice that technique before June 8.

In my opinion, there are only 2 basic types of question you can get asked on Hamlet: characters and themes. (Relationships fall under characters.) Just look at the past and sample questions: Hamlet, Claudius, the women, etc.; and death, revenge, etc. Then again, you could get asked (like in my Mocks - anyone else get this question?) why Hamlet appeals to modern audiences or readers.

Has a question on Gertrude and/or 'the fair Ophelia' come up yet since the course started being examined? If not, I would bank on it. (By the way, is it just me or is Gertrude not referred to by name in the whole play?)

French (H):
    Seeing as the papers were set in the autumn, I think something along the lines of terrorism (Beslan) could come up in Section II. Or perhaps EU enlargement or the Constitution (France will probably vote No to it)? I'm basing this on the inclusion of a topical issue ('la lutte antitabac', which followed on the foot of the smoking ban) in 2004.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭sarahg_angel69

redwell...sorry if i mis-spelled name!! how can you be so sure about the irish???? am really stuck for this irish exam...am not learning any of the modern honours poems apart from "fiachra an t-solais", or however you spell it and going in depth with the old poems! and the essays am going to learn five -
    1) terrorism
    2) the enviroment
    3) problems of young people
    4) the education system
    5) the health system

please reply to this!!! thanks!! sorry for any typos!!

Hi

I am basing my Irish predictions on prose/poetry that hasn't come up in at least 2 years (apart from Lasair Choille which came up last year). Also, in the Dánta Dualgais Breise, all 8 have already come up (2/year for 4 years). So, I think that the two that come up this year will be 2 of the 4 which came up in 2001/2002.

History:
    In Section C I think the following 4 will come up:
    *The Third Republic, 1870-1914
    *Great Britain, 1870-1914
    *Franco-Prussian War (don't think it can't get asked as a separate question. It did in my mocks)
    *Tsarist Russia 1855-1917

Will Bismarck, the old reliable come up? Or will the Commission surprise us all, it being the last 'old' exam?

How many essays are u learning per section?

For section C i'm doing France & Russia. NOt sure what else. Franco-Prussian war would be an awful question to do.

Um, not sure yet. Actually, I am taking Vainglory's advice and learning essay plans. Just going with what I know, really, and also what is more likely to come up. For example, I am not learning Britain in Section C (never studied it), and concentrating more on the Tsars then Lenin (Lenin came up last year). As for Sections A and D... I really need to get my act together!

Section D?? I think thats the easiest!!

Irish history is hard enough to get my head around. I"m gonna do Parnell in section A and sinn Fein and for section B maybe ireland during the war years. Predicting what might come up is one thing, but i need to learn them. Even with other subjects like geography, i havent bothered learning any other countries in the regional bar Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

Isabella wrote:

They definetly dont. Last year they told everyone that Dickinson was a dead cert since Plath was on the year before and then she didnt come up. So dont rely on what they told you. I had lots of friends that only did Dickinson on that advice and we're completely screwed!

• Advertisement

Randomfella: If you are going to attempt a Parnell Q in section A, only do so if you know him inside out and can focus really well on the question. It's a popular choice, but what a lot of people do is write a long "cradle to the grave" account that will get little, if any, marks.

Ask your teacher does he or she have any of the School and Career magazines. They are a few years old in most cases, but have great sample essays in History.

Also, learn France and Norway, as well as Italy, for Regional Geog. France is simple: 3 regions. And Norway, I think, will come up in a Role of the Sea/Natural Resources in the Economy of a Country Question, as such a question hasn't been on since 2001. If you have, or if a teacher or friend has, the "Focus on Geography" notebook, get it and practice writing out the model essays. A good bit of it should be retained!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

English (H):
    For those of you who are only getting into it now and want to learn as little as possible:

Four poets out of 8 come up on the paper
    If you study more than 4 poets one will definitely come up.

If you study 4 poets:

4 3 2 1 1
    -x-x-x- = - chance that one studied poet
    8 7 6 5 70 will not come up

98.57% chance that one will come up

If you study three poets
    5 4 3 2 1
    8 7 6 5 14 will not come up

92.86% chance that one will come up

If you study two poets
    6 5 4 3 3
    -x-x-x- = --- chance that one studied poet
    8 7 6 5 13 will not come up

76.92% chance that one will come up

If you study one poet
    7 6 5 4 1
    8 7 6 5 2 will not come up

50% chance that he/she will come up

Your calculations are wrong. If you study 4 poets, there is a 98.57% chance that one of them will come up:

4/8 x 3/7 x 2/6 x 1/5 = 1/70

Or alternatively:

8!
    4! = 70 possible combinations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

Sorry Isabella, you're right, I'll change that. 98% eh? All the better:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭lestats_bride

Would anyone really do that though?Just the four...I mean i'm only doing 5 and i think i'm being stupid with that. Knowing my luck,the one i have studied that is on the paper will be really dodgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

Would anyone really do that though?Just the four...I mean i'm only doing 5 and i think i'm being stupid with that. Knowing my luck,the one i have studied that is on the paper will be really dodgy.

Well I've only got 4 right now, but I haven't even learnt them properly, anyone got notes on Longley? looks like he'll have to be my 5th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 k8e

wow study 5 poets seems mad 2 me im jst studyin 4 cos d odds is dat 1 will come. our class only did 6 poets out of d required 8. we left out kavanagh and eliot so did alot of other people i no. i checked d papers and decided 2 study boland, dickinson, yeats and heaney though i no heaney is a long shot but he is easy 2 learn. is anyone doing d same?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

ACCOUNTING

looking over some charts my teacher gave me and i have a strong inkling that published accounts will come up as a 100 marker in section B.

since it came in it has gone 100 marks/60 marks/not on paper/100 marks/60 marks/not on paper/2005 100 mark

I say for the English there will be a themes question for comparitive, and if anyone is doing Hamlet deception is a great theme, loads to write about! It runs through all my texts too, Silas Marner and Strictly Ballroom...

• Advertisement

Cremo wrote:
    ACCOUNTING

looking over some charts my teacher gave me and i have a strong inkling that published accounts will come up as a 100 marker in section B.

since it came in it has gone 100 marks/60 marks/not on paper/100 marks/60 marks/not on paper/2005 100 mark

Wow I've never noticed that pattern before. Seems pretty convincing. :)

Advertisement