Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile phone replacement rights!

Options
  • 31-03-2005 12:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭

Ok I have a nokia 3220 thats not even four months old yet and it fcukd already! Keeps turning itself on and off and has wiped all my phone numbers off! I have been to the O2 shop and they want to send it away to get fixed :rolleyes: more to the point just tell me its water damaged! Any way I asked them what I was meant to do for a phone and they want €50 for a replacement phone until mine is repaired :rolleyes: ! Am I well within my rights to demand a brand new working phone as there is a years manufactures gurantee with it? Random Task told me that I am! Has anyone else had this happen and did you get a replacement phone? Thanks in advance! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Banjo013

Am having problems with Vodafone at the moment.

Signed up to the 3G network before christmas with a Motorola V980. Nothing but trouble from the start - dropped calls, phone switching itself off etc etc etc. The list is as long as your arm.

Vodafone don't want to know about it however. I've had the phone back with them for "repair" two times now (and I got the line about the EUR50 for the replacement handset as well) - always comes back saying there's nothing wrong with it. Apparently Vodafones charter says you must have sent the phone back 3 times for repair, and once it's certified to have a manufacturing fault after the third time, then and only then will they replace it. So that's chocolate fireguard use to me. It's a load of cr*p. Also upon THEIR advice, I changed my tarrif to what their representative said would be more suited to my usage pattern. My phone bill was always aroung the 50 to 60 mark ..... since then it's been in excess of 120, even though I am using it no more now than I was. So it goes to show what their advice is worth too - sweet FA.

Anyway at this stage I think it's actually the 3G network causing my problems
    ... cause some of the same symptoms were apparent when I used my 3G SIM card on an old phone I have.

3G just doesn't work.

Anyway my point is that while all operators have a customer service charter, it isn't worth the paper it's written on - you may as well wipe your ar*e with it. Customer service doesn't exist with these people. The market in Ireland is a cartel, and as long as it remains that way we the consumers are going to be treated like kings when we're buying, but treated like lepers if something isn't right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭ranDom_tAsk

Banjo013 wrote:
    Apparently Vodafones charter says you must have sent the phone back 3 times for repair, and once it's certified to have a manufacturing fault after the third time, then and only then will they replace it.

That's a load of cr*p, there where talking about this on 98FM last night, I think they had a guy on from consumer rights and he said "There is no 3 fixes on any mobile phone, it's one repair and if that one repair doesn't fix the problem you are intilled to a new handset or a FULL refund".

I hate this type of rip-off Ireland ****e, especial as I have repaired water damaged phones !

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :mad:

Get on to Comreg and read those links I put up in the post above.

Robbing B's !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

Patrick iv sent you a PM about this! Dem fcukers wouldn't replace my phone or give me a refund! They totally refused to do either of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Peterpower

Beware sending your phone off to get repaired..you have been warned!!!

I had my blackberry pearl for less than a month when I got the 'data refused' error message. Because I went back after 30 days instead of 28 they wouldnt replace the phone.

I took the hit and sent it off for the two weeks. That was five weeks ago!! I happily waited my 2 weeks, only to spend the next 2 & a half wks running round in circles. Into my 5th week now and still no phone.

Latest is they told me its coming back from repair in 2 days however when I rang the repair shop directly they told me my phone is not repairable. The O2 shop were planning to give me a swap out phone which is just a refurbished second-hand phone!!

The O2 customer care so far have been brilliant. They rang the O2 shop today to tell them to give me a brand new replacement phone, the shop is still refusing to do it. So now I have to wait till tomorrow for customer care to ring the shop again and settle it...the pain of it all!

Anyway steer clear of the O2 experience shop in Henry street and watch out they'll try every trick in the book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

O2 Are obliged to ask you for a deposit for a loan phone while yours is away because what incentive would you have to take care of this phone or even return the phone?

The best thing to do is take the phone to the mobile phone repair centre on Dawson Street, fonemenders on St Anne st, or MPRC in sandyford. They can fix your phone in a few hours. (and save your data - at an extra cost)

This will be free if your phone is under warranty.

The reason a shop cannot swap your phone out straight away is because 'how do they know you didn't drop it in your pint'

and in relation to working water damaged phones, engineers can fix these to an extent but never to the original manufacturing spec, thus being unable to offer a warrenty on the repair - this is why it is not common practice.

Hope this helps,

Oh, and please dont take it out on the guys that work in the shops, they dont get paid much and they cannot bend the rules.

Advertisement