Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All bids are in for NTL.

• 31-03-2005 2:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭

According to silicon republic all 3 bids are in for NTL.
    a spokesperson for NTL confirmed the bids were in and the decision process “could take some time”.
    How much time exactly is needed is unclear, but informed sources suggest that a decision could be made as soon as within a day or two.
    But it also says that:
    However, it has been argued that if UGC emerges successful in its bid it could run into competition issues with the Competition Authority that could end up drawing out the sales process by up to six months.
    I'm hoping for a quick decision, and an equally quick announcement by the new owners about super-cool aren't we great upgrades for all our customers :cool:
    [possible threat] before we all feck off to Smart [/possible threat] :p

causal

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭MrVestek

As long as i get my 3Mbps upgrade I don't care who owns them tbh :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Chorus are still offering only 512kb internet when I last checked so I don't really want them to aquire the network, and I don't trust them too well. The other two seem to be better but I'd be happy if I got an improved connection and the stupid cap "officially" removed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Infini wrote:
    Chorus are still offering only 512kb internet when I last checked so I don't really want them to aquire the network, and I don't trust them too well. The other two seem to be better but I'd be happy if I got an improved connection and the stupid cap "officially" removed.

Hmmm...UGC own Chorus, not the other way around - I would think that for a fair view of what UGC do you should look to http://www.chello.com/....and speeds http://home.fra.chello.fr/upcmnfc/start/abonnements/

Chorus is a bad example as it suffered from lack of infrastructure development in the past...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

crawler wrote:
    Hmmm...UGC own Chorus, not the other way around - I would think that for a fair view of what UGC do you should look to http://www.chello.com/....and speeds http://home.fra.chello.fr/upcmnfc/start/abonnements/

Chorus is a bad example as it suffered from lack of infrastructure development in the past...

512 UP :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,475 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Chello in the Netherlands offer 4Mbit/s download / 1Mbit/s upload for 49.95 :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

that will do then :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 CoolNitro

:D I cant wait 4mb will be sweet.. oh wait I aint got anything to download :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

According to ENN it seems a fourth bidder may have entered for ntl, possibly Denis O'Brien.
    The paper [Irish Independent] also reports that sources are speculating that a fourth bidder has entered the ring in the battle for the takeover of NTL Ireland. There was strong speculation on Wednesday, the deadline for final bids for NTL Ireland's assets, that the fourth entrant may be Denis O'Brien, who had earlier been involved in the bidding process with Carlyle Group. However, this could not be confirmed.

causal

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

CoolNitro wrote:
    :D I cant wait 4mb will be sweet.. oh wait I aint got anything to download :(

Your signature was 1.4 megs however. What on earth were you thinking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 poison-inside

• Advertisement

According to ENN, reporting on the Irish Times, two bids UGC and the one fronted by John Riordan are in the running; with the Setanta Sports and Denis O'Brien bids looking like they're out of it.
    The Irish Times reports that the bid for NTL Ireland enters its final phase this week with the company's corporate advisers, Goldman Sachs, telling European cable firm UGC and a rival bid fronted by Irish cable veteran John Riordan that they are ahead of two other bids from the Irish media firm Setanta Sports and from Denis O'Brien, the telecoms entrepreneur. The paper says the secondary bidders are unlikely to be in the running unless problems with the other bids emerge during the final stage of negotiations.

causal

UGC are now the preferred bidder and are in exclusive talks with Goldman Sachs.
    - taken from ENN, reporting on an Irish Independent article

causal

Advertisement