Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

p4 3ghz standard operating temps

Options
  • 31-03-2005 8:12am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi i got a p4 3ghz socket 478 800mhz fsb yesterday and was just wondering wats the standard operating temps i have it on the desktop with no programs running and im getting 38-40oc is this normal? i dont want to damage it sorry its new to me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

no matter what I do, except OCing, I have a constant 31 degrees

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

now its 55oc with anitvirus running i dont think this is right should i re apply the heatsink? with new paste

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Depends on a number of factors, including your heatsink, your motherboard- and what settings your running the CPU at.
    I have a 2.8Ghz 533 FSB overclocked to 3.4Ghz on stock heatsink and running at 40 degrees, with up to 60 when very busy.
    Personally I'd be reasonably happy with anything under 65- Pentium 4's are a lot more forgiving of higher operating temperatures than equivalent AMD chips.

Check in the BIOS that your I/O voltages are correct- it could be an issue.

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

also depends on what the room temp is where u have the pc, ie is there a radiator in the room etc

• Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Idling at 38-40 degrees, probably with a stock HSF is fine - no worries :)

• Advertisement

was just playing cod there and temps went up to 58oc is that ok i have a standard coolermaster heatsink with a 80mm fan on it should i put that on instead of the stock intel one?

was just playing cod there and temps went up to 58oc is that ok i have a standard coolermaster heatsink with a 80mm fan on it should i put that on instead of the stock intel one?

So which one have you on the cpu at the momemt? The stock intel one is not bad at all for a stock HSF. 58 degrees under load is nothing to worry about. The p4 has built-in protection so if it gets to hot, it automatically slows down. No risk of meltdown!

If you plan to go the quiet / cool route, there obviously are better HSF combinations out there

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

With a decent HSF u should be getting the low 30's on idle n mid 40's on load. Thats what i was getting with mine for the past while... Just set up my new WC kit yesterday, on ave its about im running 26-28c idle n mid to high 30's on load. Although i'm hoping to get that load temp down to the 20's ltr today with a bit of tinkering ;-)

With a bit of tinkering with my WC i can get idle temps of 15c n lower for about an hour.. Handy for overclocking, can boot into windows stable @ 3.9ghz... Tryn to hit 4ghz tho, then i'll be happy...for a while ;-)

unklerosco wrote:
    With a bit of tinkering with my WC i can get idle temps of 15c n lower for about an hour.. Handy for overclocking, can boot into windows stable @ 3.9ghz... Tryn to hit 4ghz tho, then i'll be happy...for a while ;-)

You might want to up the vdimm on the memory to get the OCZ 3700 stick to do that :)

The 4200 won't do 1000FSB with timings as tight as the 3700, so you'll have to loosen them to 4200 default. In that case you have a very good chance the 3700 will do 1000FSB with a higher vdimm

What mobo?

• Advertisement

Thanks guys for all you help i just took off the stock intel HSF to my horror the thermal paste was bearly enough to cover the cpu so cleaned the chip and put on my coolermaster HSF with artic paste and am now idling at 36oc better than 55oc earlier

ps yeah gonna get water cooling next :D

I took the 3700 out n just used the 4200... Using a gigabyte board, cant remember the model no. Its modded with ramsinks n a microcool NB cooler(tis a big lump of copper with a noisy fan), also has an add on board which gives a smoother powersupply to the CPU. I think my psu isn't able to cope with everything, gonna upgrade soon enough..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

so what u end up getting out of the 3ghz chip then unkle???

unklerosco wrote:

Been to busy to tinker with it of late, hopin to get 4ghz+ next week..

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I have my P4 C 2.8--3.31. Under Load CPU hits 64 Max with side panel, 53 without side panel. Im currently going about cutting a hole on the side panel for a extra intake that will benefit the CPU. Bearing in mind that Abit report temperature ~10'C higher than they actually are, my CPU is running nice and cold.

I cant seem to get past 3.4 though, im not willing to crank up the Vcore too much

P4's have thermal throttling, serious performance reduction to prevent the chip from burning out. This only kicks in around 70'C.

Dempsey wrote:
    Bearing in mind that Abit report temperature ~10'C higher than they actually are, my CPU is running nice and cold.

really? that would explain alot as i have a Asus mobo so im idling at 26oc then. :D

Dempsy.... What heatsink u using.. I was able to get my old 2.8 up to 3.6 easy n was stable at that.

Advertisement