Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Java Programming for Mobile Phones?

Options
  • 31-03-2005 8:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭

Hi,

I've recently bought a Java enabled handset (Sony Ericsson T630). Does anyone know what tools I need to start programming applications for it? Do I need a special SDK etc? Is it much different from "regular" Java?

I know I could probably do a search on the Sun site, but if anyone here has undertaken this task themself, it would be great to hear from you.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Jim Kernsey

I've done a bit of this.

I'd recommend IBM's Device Developer 5.7.1, you can downoad a 90 day evaluation version, but even when the license expires it doen't loose any functionality. It has everything you need built in.

I know Nokia prvide free SDK's I guess Ericsson do to, these can be plugged into Device Developer not are not essesntial.

I used a book called core J2ME to get started aso http://www.benhui.net gives good examples and links.

yes it is much diferent than regular java. its a very scaled version, you'll be using midp which is a small subset of j2me which is a tiny subset of j2se. syntatically its the same though.

I'm currently using Device Developer to program java for a PDA.

good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Check this forum for the J2ME FAQ as well.

Advertisement