Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Networking

Options
  • 31-03-2005 9:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Hi,

new member here...I am looking for a source of good information on how to go about implementing a strcutured cabling system for my home. This is a new build project and we are within weeks of the electrician beginning their work.

I would like to wire the house to support multi-room services from a central server/center. For example, I woulld like to have broadband access in all rooms. Would also like to be able to play music/video from a central server in each room where the person in the room can select the music/video they would like to watch.

I have done some research in the area but the amount of information available is a bit daunting. Therefore, looking for some simple first-step advice!

Any help/pointers appreciated.

Niall

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

OK... this would be the basic setup
    Stuff needed; router, switch, network sockets in wall

Line comes into house, connects to router device (for broadband).
    From router, cable (cat 5 or 6) connects to switch, and then numerous cables from switches to sockets in rooms.

This will allow all PC's to connect to the internet. Also, if MP3 PC is connected to switch, the other PC's can connect (locally though the Local Are Network) to it easily enough.

Others will go into more detail.

• Moderators Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭Spocker

Niall,

Welcome to the Boards. You'll find more info in this thread.

Have a read and no doubt you'll be back with more questions :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 bluetech

Thanks for the feedback. I will check the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 bluetech

I have read the threads and various links provided by other contributors. This is a lot to take in! Can I ask a few simple Yes/No questions...

If I only implement a cat5e structured cabling system what will I be missing? I know that the Cat5e will support voice and data. However, what about TV and audio? In short, what kind of cabling do I need to run for each of the following services...

Voice - Cat5e
    Data - Cat5e
    CCTV - am told that you can do this with Cat5e - is this true?
    Satellite TV - would it be coaxial RG6?
    Multi-room viewing - would it coaxial RG6 in backfeed configuration?
    MP3 Audio - would it be Cat5e?
    Normal CD Audio - would it be coaxial RG6?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

Niall,

Are you planning on going down the Microsoft Media Centre route? If so Cat6 cables will do pretty much everything (except satellite, dont know anything about CCTV). Just fill your Central Server with DVDs and CDs and you will be able to stream them to Media Centre PCs located around the house.

Have a quick peek here http://www.digitalhomemag.com/ and here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=208020

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭happydude13

correct

>Voice - Cat5e
    >Data - Cat5e

can't be run directly over Cat5E
    >CCTV - am told that you can do this with Cat5e - is this true?
    >Satellite TV - would it be coaxial RG6?
    >Multi-room viewing - would it coaxial RG6 in backfeed configuration?
    >MP3 Audio - would it be Cat5e?
    >Normal CD Audio - would it be coaxial RG6?

Cat 5E will need a computer of some sort at both ends,
    although a camera with a network adapter can use Cat 5E
    http://www.y3kvision.com/acatalog/IP_CCTV.html

or an mp3 receiver will work over Cat5E like this
    only using a network cable instead of wireless.

http://www.tickpc.co.uk/products.asp?viewItem=1633

Hope this helps

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,878 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

For TV/SAT you can get a 100m roll of copper foil cable lined co-ax in B&Q about €50 (RG6 is older lower grade)

For voice/data get two boxes of 305m cables from www.connectix.ie low halogen CAT 5e for about €50
    you buy two boxes because you run two cables to each point for future proofing

Or elsewhere if you can source similar for less.
    To future proof you need to leave cable runs with drawstrings and no tight bends , curves as gentle as possible so you can pull through fibre or whatever later on.

not sure what the building regs are on using 20/25mm PVC piping behind walls in houses seeing as how low halon cables are what you should use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

If I was doing this now, I'd put in drops of

2 x CAT 5e
    2 x 75 Ohm Satellite coax
    1 x 'figure 8' twin screened audio cable

Satellite coax is suitable for many applications - tv, satellite, CATV, SPDIF digital audio, composite video.

The figure 8 audio cable is for line level stereo audio.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

Snowbat wrote:
    If I was doing this now, I'd put in drops of

2 x CAT 5e
    2 x 75 Ohm Satellite coax
    1 x 'figure 8' twin screened audio cable

Satellite coax is suitable for many applications - tv, satellite, CATV, SPDIF digital audio, composite video.

The figure 8 audio cable is for line level stereo audio.

Don't pull any cat 5e if your building a new house! Pull cat 6! That will future proof you! Cat 6 is the best networking cable you can use at the min!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

I want someting like this two when im older.

You better off installing Cat6 as mentioned up there, as this will give Giga Speeds. Need it for the streaming movies or what ever.
    If internet would be your only thing, or music downloads from central service then maybe you'd consider wireless instead, cleaner solution.
    But you probably are best doing wired, especially when you got the opportunity now before its two late, but don't install Cat5, you'll kick yourself after. Cat6 way to go

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭darraghrogan

Has anyone mentioned Russound equipment for the audio?

You wire cat 5 (in 568A orientation) from your comms room to a wall switch in each room. From there you wire the wall switch to either your speakers directly or to an amp. This wall switch (which requires a 48mm backing box) controls the local power and volume. It also features an ir panel that'll allow you control the soucre back in the comms room. Pressing the power button cycles through all the sources available.

Back in the comms room you have a russound 4 source 4 room hub for etc) and connects to all your keypads by way of the cat 5 going to each. there is also ir eyes connected to this hub to stick onto the equip.

I'll post more when I can figure out the model numbers...

Darragh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

Webmonkey wrote:
    Cat6 way to go
    There is no guarantee that 10GBaseT will run on existing cables. If it does, it may very well run on 5e too and the large installed base means lots of pressure for it to do so. http://www.pcw.co.uk/news/1153926

Given these variables, I'd run 5e and put the ~60% premium to better use.

Advertisement