Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6230 PC Suite 6.1.02 & bluetooth connection problem

Options
  • 31-03-2005 10:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

Guys,

I got a new 6230 yesterday (meteor unlocked - using a vodafone RTG sim) that came with PC Suite 6.1.02. My home computer has bluetooth (Aldi Medion PC).

Using the Medion's own bluetooth package I can discover, browse & copy files to & from the 6230.

However when I loaded up the PC Suite (which I'd prefer to use for synchronisation/contact management etc), the phone was not discovered, nor when I searched for it.

This has me a little perplexed as obviously bluetooth on the phone & the PC is working, so I can only gather that it is the PC suite that is the problem.

As an aside, this is a very cool phone.

A couple of questions:

Is this a known issue ? Is there a fix for it ?

Where's the cheapest for larger memory cards ?

How much are 7250i's fetching now as I'll be selling my old one ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

IIRC you have to configure the PC Suite for the 6230,cant remembor how tho....
    Try uninstalling the PC Suite and reinstalling it again! That fixes 99% of Windows issues
    Cheapest memory cards are available @ mphone.co.uk and the 6230 only takes certain 1gb chips. Not too sure which ones exactly but theres a few threads floating about here regarding that
    7250i wont get you much....knock a thread up in FS and see?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Thanks for that Garth, There's a configure button in the suite, clicking it sends of a search for bluetooth phones, but it returns with a "none detected" message.

Anyone any ideas which brand chips they take ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

Ive had a nightmare getting my 6230 to work properly with bluetooth over the last week or 2. Well to be more accurate its been a nightmare getting it to work with the nokia software. As with you the basic file transfer over bluetooth worked out of the box. I ended up upgrading to windows xp sp 2, which solved part of the problem, and using a differant program (mobimb) to transfer playlists. Downloading the latest nokia software was no help.

As for the phone not being detected, im not sure, but I think with ver 6.1 of the nokia software the connection app is stored in control panel, I presume thats what your using to search for your phone?

Hadn't checked the control panel skywalker, but when you go to synchronise it brings up a "detect phone" dialogue box

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

I think you might have to set the PC Suite to transfer through Bluetooth instead of Cable?

• Advertisement

Yeah checked that Garth. Have just downloaded V 6.4 of the software so will be trying that later.

& V 6.4 doesn't make any difference either.

Are there different types of bluetooth that vary ? Mayby the nokia suite isn't set up for mine ?!?

Yes there are things called bluetooth stacks which can vary. Windows has a native one built into service pack 2 (for xp) which works quiet well. But you can expect all the joys (re: problems) that come with service pack 2.

Well bugger that for a game of soldiers.

Anyone any ideas ?

What functions are you trying to get from the nokia software? If its playlists for mp3s you should check out the prog I mentioned above.

• Advertisement

It's mainly for syncronisation & file transfer skywalker.

For file transfer you can just right click a file > send to > bluetooth.

For synchronisation I dont have any suggestions im afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

Hi,

Sync'ing with MS Outlook should work fine.

Out of interest, are you running Windows XP Service Pack 2 and are your bluetooth drivers up to date?

- Neil

It is sp2 & all drivers appear to be up to date. Using outlook express. Outlook is overkill for my needs.

Hi,

Okay, well sync'ing with 6230 is out unless you use MS Outlook (as it's the unofficial corporate standard) - that's just the way it is unless someone writes a programme to do otherwise ;)

Back to the bluetooth problems. I'm just wondering how far along you've been able to get. I have a few questions if you don't mind...

1. Have you been able to pair the phone successfully with the PC or vice versa?

2. Does the bluetooth device/dongle that you use have any lights or LEDs that show it's made a connection or link with your phone?

3. Although you have drivers installed for your Bluetooth device - do you know Windows XP using "Microsoft Blueooth". (Sorry if this is confusing - if you're not sure, I should be able to provide a method for you to tell which one you're using)

4. Have you been able to send or receive files from the phone?

- Neil

1. Using the Medion's native "blueSol" program, I've been able to pair them successfully.

2. No leds etc visable

3. Not quite sure on that one...

4. Using Bluesol I've been able to send/recieve files.

(According to nokia I can use outlook express to sync contact details).

That make sense ?

Just on point number 3 there. Think what theothernt is getting at is are you using the native windows xp bluetooth stack. Basically to do this you need to just let windows pick up and install the device automatically. Uninstalling and reinstalling this way may help.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

iMax wrote:
    4. Using Bluesol I've been able to send/recieve files.

hi, by Bluesol (so you mean IVT's BlueSoleil?) - that's not one of the Bluetooth Implementations supported by Nokia... they support:
    - Digianswer Bluetooth Software Suite
    - Microsoft Windows XP Bluetooth
    - Toshiba Bluetooth version 3.0x
    - WIDCOMM Bluetooth for Windows version 1.4

see if you can get your adapter running with the XP SP2 Bluetooth Implementation rather than the BlueSoleil one

this is the current 'compatibility table' Nokia provide for what apps, connectivity options and handset support what features of the PC Suite...
    Nokia PC Suite Compatibility Tables

Thanks for that info DubWireless. I think it is "IVT's BlueSoleil" (not at system right now).

So if I go into divice manager & remove the bluetooth device (as far as I know it's physically a module inside the case), then scan for new devices, it should pick up the bluetooth using windows native drivers ?

what exact model of PC you got (so I can look it up if possible)...

• Advertisement

It's a Medion (aldi bought) system. The bluetooth device in it is built in (sits just under the facia)

hi, so no model numbers etc. just a "Medion"?

Sorry. PC-MT6

iMax wrote:
    Thanks for that info DubWireless. I think it is "IVT's BlueSoleil" (not at system right now).

So if I go into divice manager & remove the bluetooth device (as far as I know it's physically a module inside the case), then scan for new devices, it should pick up the bluetooth using windows native drivers ?

yep. What I said 2 posts before yours. ;)

Tried it last night, it picked up "IVT Bluetooth Device" :(

yeah internal modules can be fiddly, is there any reference to IVT / BlueSoleil in your Add / Remove Programs dialogue - if you know what you're doing, trying to track down the relevant .inf file on your system and remove it could be another option to see if you can stop the IVT / BlueSoleil drivers hopping in before the XP SP2 ones

have you seen how the internal adapter is connected to the main board, is it soldiered or attached with a removable cable/plug?

Hi,

You could try this method, it's what I did to install the Belkin Bluetooth drivers but not the actual software (as I wanted XP to use the MS Bluetooth software).

1. Download the latest Bluetooth drivers (BlueSoleil_1.4.9.5_release_050124.zip)
    2. Extract all the files to a temporary folder
    3. Remove or uninstall any existing Bluetooth software or drivers
    4. If Windows re-detects the Bluetooth device and asks for drivers, just point it to the location of the temporary folder.

If Windows doesn't appear to ask for drivers, check Control Panel -> System -> Hardware -> Device Manager. Look for an "unknown device", double click on it then look for the "Update Driver" option.

- Neil

Advertisement