Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

my first real game $$

Options
  • 31-03-2005 11:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭

Hi guys, only new to poker.. bout a month or so online. Played my first MTT freeze out in college last night, 112 entrants, most proceeds going to a society. Played very tight. Whenever i went in i had the nuts, usually slow played. Got moved to a second table and held my own but onto the third table and up against three big loose aggressive players. On the very last hand of this table i was almost out and in dire need of cards. I got em, pocket 4s. Called to see the flop 7h, 4d, Js. All in. Caught another 7 on the river and stole a monster pot with my full house. No one saw it coming. Chip leader then for final table with about 40,000, much more than anyone else. Strategy was to play extremely tight and let the others knock eachother out. Won the occasional hand but got blinded away and lost my lead. With 4 players remaining my cards started coming to life. Got plenty of A rags and a few like KQ and KJ. Knocked out a player then went into the heads up against a tight aggressive yank with a good lead over him. Started playing much more aggressive now trying to rob his chips with big raises. Eventually i raised an A5, he called all-in. Called him back. Everyone looks on, could be all over. My A5 against his A2. Flop shows an Ace, nothing else comes... my hand holds up! I win €150!!

Great night, very well run, nice spot prizes throughout. Kudos to all involved.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 lordofthetilt

Accepted it may have been well run but most proceeds should have gone to you and the guy who came second.
    I understand the way societies work in college but 113 entrants(assuming €5 per head) is €565 and thats before any rebuys are included. Assuming ablout half the field rebought once you're looking at close to €800.
    You should have gotten a much larger sum for winning. I've seen one or two of these college games and it always seems to be the society involved who make a killing off it.

Well done though, taking it on a fiver high kicker is particularly funy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭DeLaBass

I felt like that before i entered too. But everyone knew it was a fund raiser for new uniforms primarily so there was no bad vibes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 lordofthetilt

ah ok, I have no problem with charity games.

I'm a giver..........honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭DeLaBass

well said. But i agree 100% on the sentiment about assholes raking it in and shafting the winner. Poker is not a house game. If you want to organize a house game stick to blackjack, craps etc... and let us, the real players, shuffle up n deal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭tim3115

That has me thinking now :

I know of someone that was going to try and organise a Hold'em tournement as a fund raising event. How should one go about doing it?

Thanks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement