Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Test this - is it a resource hog? (interactive flash map)

Options
  • 31-03-2005 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

Hi all,

I just but this up yesterday on my site - it an interactive flash map of Galway

http://www.thedesigntribe.com/galway-map.html

I'm concerned that it may be a resource hog, particularlly on old/slow machines. It eats into 35-40% of system resources when running on my AMD64bit 1GB machine here.

I'm looking for people with old & slow machines to have a look at it & let me know does it run smoothly, and if it hogs resources?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

It runs smoothly on mine, though it's not that old a machine so it's of limited use to you, P4 2.66GHz with 768 of RAM and it's using 38-45%.

Nice work though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Nice website, really nice piece of flash :)
    I've got a fast comp so not a problem at all with the map.

Good Job

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Wouldn't call my machine that old and slow (1.7GHz Amd 512MB RAM), it runs great here. Very Nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

The flash is fine, but the CSS on the site is displaying slightly crazily (Firefox 1.02, Linux).

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭thedesigntribe

rsynnott wrote:
    The flash is fine, but the CSS on the site is displaying slightly crazily (Firefox 1.02, Linux).

Nooooo don't say that - any chance you could sent me a snap? (email on site)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Figment

rsynnott wrote:

Same on win xp, Firefox 1.02.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

I am on a:

Pentium 3 750Mhz
    128mb ram
    8mb graphics card

And it's working just fine.. no problem.. very smooth actually.

But to be honest this laptop is a beast.. I can have Macromedia Fireworks, Msn messenger, and 2-3 IE windows open, and it still soilders on fine.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Very smooth, but a bit of a hog

55% on a 1.6 Centrino

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Thats really nice flash there but I had a few problems.

running a Mac on OSX 500mhz, 256megs ram, Firefox 0.9.3.

firstly I received the attached error. I clicked to allow the script.. and it came back again so I clicked - dont allow the script. The first frame after loading came up and then it seemed to refresh, give me a loading bar and give me the first frame again, refresh, loading bar, first frame etc etc etc. I refreshed the page and it worked ok but maxed out at 85% of my cpu, when not heavy flash goes up to around 30%.

It was a bit jittery but worked ok for my old iMac, looks great.

Then I tried to post this post and firefox didn't let me do anything, I've only experienced this once with an applet. I restarted firefox and its fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Flash is nice..

Text is overlapping at the top though, shot attached.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭seo-ireland

No problems on my machine. Map looks great :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

very sexy no issues here

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭thedesigntribe

Figment wrote:
    Same on win xp, Firefox 1.02.

Hey Alan,

I can't replicate any issues on Firefox 1.02 on XP Pro (2 machines) and XP Home (2 other machines). Its worring though can you email me a screen shot?

Cheers
    Ivan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

Hey Alan,

I can't replicate any issues on Firefox 1.02 on XP Pro (2 machines) and XP Home (2 other machines). Its worring though can you email me a screen shot?

Cheers
    Ivan.

XP Pro here with Firefox 1.02....look great, nice one!!.. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

I did a routefinder project in college that used an interactive flash map to show the route. I was thinking of adapting it a bit and putting it online, but I got the impression I would be violating copyright by using the map (the map hgad been scanned in).
    How did you get a map to use? Did you trace it from another map, and if you do that are you no longer violating copyright? Or construct it yourself some other way? Or just get permission?

Yours is looking very nice on firefox 1.0 and xp for me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

pwd wrote:
    I did a routefinder project in college that used an interactive flash map to show the route. I was thinking of adapting it a bit and putting it online, but I got the impression I would be violating copyright by using the map (the map hgad been scanned in).
    How did you get a map to use? Did you trace it from another map, and if you do that are you no longer violating copyright? Or construct it yourself some other way? Or just get permission?

Yep, you would at least theoretically be violating copyright by using a scanned map. A traced map MIGHT fall under fair use, but don't bet on it. Getting permission might work. That said, I've never heard of anyone going after anyone for copyright violation on maps; and people copy and modify maps all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dangerman

same type of display problems as screenshot given above here.

but if you refresh the page once its loaded it sorts itself out - very strange.

Firefox 1.0.2 windows XP

Advertisement