Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IolBB Caps Increased!

• 31-03-2005 12:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭

Please post any information on a possible download cap increase for iolBB/EsatBT here...please.

Nothing else...so if nothing is CONFIRMED...then dont post anything!!!

Thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Tech Pete

just got off the phone with "technical support" in esat.
    i asked abou the possibily of a cap increase.
    he then stated that the caps were staying as they are.
    he did advise me that the download was increasing but the rest of the service was to remain unchanged.

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭diarmo

For EsatBT not to increase the caps would be an extremely stupid idea.

The increased downloading cap was a major selling point(I picked esatBT because of it) so parity with eircom would be a huge mistake!!!

In all honesty is 30GB really going to kill them as a large majority of people wont come near it...but its a safety net for those odd occasions when you really need to download the Win2003 ServicePack1(btw is out if anyones interested ~330MBytes)!!!!

I am a much more miserable man after that news Tech Pete.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Tech Pete

diarmo wrote:
    I am a much more miserable man after that news Tech Pete.

I'm actually happy :) Ive been paying a fortune for a no cap service for the past 4 years and right now i have a 2mb up and down business line with no cap.
    So im glad to see im getting my monies worth :p

goes to show you get what you pay for...
    btw i rang up once i saw that post of your as i panic'd thinking the cap would disappear...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭Willymuncher

Hmmm surely they wouldn't let their service drop to the level of eircom, eircom were always destined to be lightyears behind anyone else...i was told the same about the caps, so i guess that is how its going to be for now :( poopy

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

Highly doubt it. They're just saying that because they know no differently. They'll definately raise their product above Eircom. It makes for easier advertising for them and it's no skin off of thier noses. We'll see soon enough.

• Advertisement

Tech Pete wrote:
    I'm actually happy :) Ive been paying a fortune for a no cap service for the past 4 years and right now i have a 2mb up and down business line with no cap.
    So im glad to see im getting my monies worth :p

goes to show you get what you pay for...
    btw i rang up once i saw that post of your as i panic'd thinking the cap would disappear...

You are a business customer so naturally you should pay more!!!

Well its nice to know thats there is at least one person that would like us "Residental Leechers" to all go back to 56kbits/s so that you can sleep soundly at night!!!

BTW.
    I know of a LOT of businesses that still use ISDN 64K for their internet and pay a lot more than you for it....hope that gives you an even bigger smileTech Pete!!!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Tech Pete wrote:
    goes to show you get what you pay for....

I've always said that... in fairness look at the average Joe DSL packages in the UK from Wanadoo and BT/Yahoo their all capped.
    If you want decent upload and you want a uncapped service a business package is the only way to go.
    Oh how I love my Esat Business package ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

how much is the business package btw?

one thigs for sure if esat don't increase the cap i'll be leaving very quickly.

very bad form.

i went with them for 2 reasons. 1. they aren't eircom. and 2. they were better than eircom. now they'll be offering an inferior product to eircom if they don't do something, so i'll be off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭peeko

I hear ya there Vibe. It would be madness for Esat not to up there caps...

But I'm thinking would they increase there caps for users who allready have a contract with them? Or would they maybe instead just offer it to new customers and then offer it to existing users once there year contract is up....

We'll just have to wait and see me thinks!

I encouraged 2 friends of mine to signup to EsatBT as their cap was higher and they both dislike how eircom had treated them.

As they have both less than 2 months of their trial used and are relativately heavy downloaders I'll try my best to get them broadband from Digiweb if esatBT dont raise their cap within the next month.

Aol as well as the LLU ISP's in the Uk still dont have a cap!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

vibe666 wrote:
    how much is the business package btw?

one thigs for sure if esat don't increase the cap i'll be leaving very quickly.

At present its 45e pm for 512K & 110e pm for 1MB and something like 225e pm for 2MB
    I'm sure they'll increase the speeds now since Smartelecom, eircom etc have....

Few things to note, all packages have the following:
    - Static IP
    - 256K upload
    - No limiting on ports etc
    - No cap of any kind what-so-ever

Yes its expensive but besides the price I can't fault their service for anything

diarmo wrote:
    Aol as well as the LLU ISP's in the Uk still dont have a cap!!!

I find it kinda funny that AOL UK don't cap any of the DSL products, 17.99 pm for 512K connection uncapped is excellent value compared to what BT offer for the same price, use a router and your sorted imho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Cabaal wrote:
    At present its 45e pm for 512K & 110e pm for 1MB and something like 225e pm for 2MB

but this only applies to a few exchanges where they have LLU done

Cabaal wrote:
    I'm sure they'll increase the speeds now since Smartelecom, eircom etc have.
    45€ for 512/128 with no cap? what the feck am I doing with the advantage+ then?

and this is esat?

is there a list of exchanges that have LLU?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Anarchist

I belive in the last 2-3 months Esat Business require you to have a vat #
    ie they only want business people using tehir business conn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Redrocket

i was emailing technical support asking them for technical info on the upgrade, he answered 2 questions
    he said cap would be doubled
    and upload would stay the same.
    i think i scared him cause i asked a few techy questions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

If esat were anyway tuned in to the goings on with eircom, they will double there cap or better yet triple it (Oh I Wish)

Esat always have a better package than eircom, so lets hope they keep it that way.

I wont be greedy, so a doubling of their current cap would make me very happy to stay with EsatBT.

In my opinion they have always been a better choice than eircom and other DSL re-sellers.

Come on EsatBT.....!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

diarmo wrote:
    I wont be greedy, so a doubling of their current cap would make me very happy to stay with EsatBT.

In my opinion they have always been a better choice than eircom and other DSL re-sellers.

Come on EsatBT.....!!!

Yeah come on and win the CAP race.

And then win the UPLOAD race. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭Willymuncher

Does anyone in iol sales or tech support know anything? some say the cap will be doubled and some say its staying the same, i guess that it is staying because we're now into april without any announcement...i hate waiting

Does anyone in iol sales or tech support know anything? some say the cap will be doubled and some say its staying the same, i guess that it is staying because we're now into april without any announcement...i hate waiting

Chill out....

The CAP is entirely up to each ISP and is independent of Eircom.
    It can be modified at a days notice with little effort.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

Sparky_S wrote:
    Yeah come on and win the CAP race.

And then win the UPLOAD race. :D

There is no upload race and there never will be on Bitstream - as it's just reselling of Eircom's product.

Until EsatBT (not IOL) and SMART get cracking with LLU (and various other legal things are sorted) there wont be a cap race. If upload is really the issue then IBB offer 1024/1024 and 2048/2048 packages, amongst others. We wont be seeing ADSL matching those rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 luketheone

I have iolBB Plus and I download a gig there on april 1st to see what my cap usage would say about that, obviously a 16 gig cap would average just over 500mb a day so I was expecting to get a warning saying that if I continue at this rate I'll use it up in 15 days or something. It didn't give any warnings though, would it be possible that the cap has been upped to 32gb? or is that just mindless optimism? Probably the latter because it has recorded my last login at april 2nd so maybe it is averaging 1 gig over 2 days instead of 1. any thoughts?

-luke

They dont really care...Eircom or EsatBT if you go and download 2 gigs a day for a week as long as you dont piss al over the cap for the month as a whole.

Ive downloaded a Gig a day on many an occasion and no eyebrows at esatBT are raised as long as I dont do it for an entire month.

well, i decided if they were going to double the cap i'd test it last month figuring they'd not charge me if they're upping the cap this month. consequentially I topped out at 36.5gb last month, so I guess I'll find out when the bill comes in!

fingers crossed eh!

oh, and I have a limited company with a VAT number, so I might well look into moving to the business package instead.

does anyone know if they will be upping the business package speeds too? don't know why i didn't think of it before! guess I always thought it would be more expensive.

anyone know if they restrict ports at all on the business packages?

ooh, static IP. handy for a web server, and plenty more besides!

36.5GBytes!!!!
    Youve been busy?!?!

Static IP can be created from a dynamic IP VERY easily:
    I use

http://www.no-ip.com/

and others use dynamic dns.

Using no-ip and setting up your FTP server correctly, for example, will give you all you require.
    Honestly I dont know why people bitch about wanting static IP's so much.

But honestly...20GBytes over your CAP....you are really pushing your luck now!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Don't think we will see any increase in IOL BB+ cap. From what a rep told me the other day it's staying same 16gigs.

Course like what has already been brought out IOL can update the cap whenever they want.

X

Decided to check the CAP situation after getting the 512-2048 upgrade and found this.

Previously there was nothing written under my name but now Im given a warning of exceeding the cap in 19 days after using 2.09GBytes in 2 days?

Could others give a thought out opinion on this??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

looks like the cap is gone up to 22gigs a month :D

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Emerson

How can you tell?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

lomb wrote:
    looks like the cap is gone up to 22gigs a month :D
    Are you going to explain your reasoning? If it's only gone up to 22Gb I'd be very disappointed :(

Advertisement