Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IolBB Caps Increased!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Xcellor

I really don't think we will get a cap upgrade. A free speed upgrade will be enough from the point of view of IOL/Eircom.

Please someone tell them to increase upload speed. 128k seems woefully inadequate...

X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Xcellor wrote:
    I really don't think we will get a cap upgrade. A free speed upgrade will be enough from the point of view of IOL/Eircom.

Please someone tell them to increase upload speed. 128k seems woefully inadequate...

X
    esat cannot change the upload speed, only eircom.

if you want to try and ask eircom to up the upload speed go ahead, they'll probably look at you like you're a three-eyed monster or something to that effect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Xcellor wrote:

IOL Will have to increase their cap i'd say. Majority of their advertising is based around the fact that its cheaper and you get double the cap of Eircom. If they get rid of that they are loosing most of the reason people choose them over Eircom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭diarmo

Wholesale charges for 1GByte is 5 cent or something.

An extra 16GBytes is only 80cent FFS!!!

And most people wont even go near their CAP...so come on esatBT give us a safety line for those..."I reaaaally need to download that" time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

I'd be amazed if Esat don't upgrade the cap as well. Their package would be actually worst then eircom's (the upload cap) I just can't see them not responding.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭diarmo

I'd be amazed if Esat don't upgrade the cap as well. Their package would be actually worst then eircom's (the upload cap) I just can't see them not responding.

If you dont take the price difference into account and look only at the technical specs then Eircom have currently a superior service for the plus packages anyway.

But it would be difficult for someone to even get double digits in the uploading @128k not to mean breach the 16GB allocated for uploads.

But I agree with you....as it stands eircom have a better product(technically at least).
    Im expecting at least an 8GB increase but would prefer a doubling for safety reasons.
    With charging at 3c a MByte...1GByte becomes €30 if esatBT get nasty!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

speeds not great tbh.

might just be me. had to go to M$ just to get that much.

speed.jpg

not seen any speed increase with P2P at all.

anyone else been done yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

well i'd imagine a lot of people are making use of their new found extra speed.

as for increased speed in p2p, wouldn't the person you are downloading off have to have like 2meg upload speed for you to download off them at 2meg download speed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

2mb is the point where you really see how slow other servers are. Goto ftp.esat.net and try download a linux iso you should get full 2mb but anywhere else its the usual story depends on the speed of the server.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭julius

A year ago I got 3.5MBytes/s downloading Fedora Core from heatnet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭neon_glows

Please move this if it has to but i was in a rush so couldnt look for the older file, hope this helps everyone:

Please wait while we find an agent to assist you...
    You have been connected to Graham A.
    Graham A: Hello Nicky, how can I help you?
    nicky b: Hi Graham
    nicky b: I want to know about my download cap! Has it been increased? With the new speed of internet access my computer is downloading content at a much quicker pace
    nicky b: worried that my download cap my be broke!
    nicky b: that i may go over it like
    Graham A: The download cap will stay the same, your current speed will be doubled by the close of business tonight.
    nicky b: yes the speed was doubled last night at 10.30 pm and im worried that it may cause me to go over the cap! Is there going to be an increase of cap in tjhe next fortnight to fix this?
    Graham A: The will be no increase to the download capacity at present.
    nicky b: Okay can you file a complaint on my behalf to state that im unhappy with the current download cap and believe at the very least should be doubled
    nicky b: is that possible? Also can you point out to your retention or which ever department looks after the keeping of costumers
    nicky b: that i am now interested in moving away from esat to another company for internet access as you are no longer the cheaper company
    Graham A: You can send a letter of complaint to customer.care@esat.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

They don't care if you switch it seems - at least no attempt to change my mind either
    Macros42: ok - in that case can you tell me what IOL's position is on the cap now that Eircom's is actually better that IOLs
    Stephen S: The download limit is 8Mb
    Macros42: the info I have is that the limit is combined up/down
    Macros42: whereas Eircom's is now 8/16 down only
    Stephen S: With BB it is 8MB combined
    Macros42: the reason I went with IOL in the first place was the higher cap
    Stephen S: With BB plus it is 16MB combined
    Macros42: exactly what I said - but Eircom's is down only not combined which means it is a higher cap so is IOL going to increase theirs?
    Stephen S: There are no iminent plans for this. We have increased the speeds for all BB customers today
    Macros42: actually mine was done on Saturday but the cap is a concern - 8 or 16 is very low especially in comparison to other EU countries
    Macros42: can you tell me who I can mail regarding this as I am considering switching provider now that Eircom have doubled theirs
    Stephen S: You could submit your suggestion to customer care to increase this.
    Stephen S: E-mail : customer.care@esat.com
    Stephen S: You will also need to contact them if you wish to cancel your EsatBT service.

Sorry about earlier, i had to run to class,

i am wondering about how you guys would feel about sending an email to esat about the cap/upload speed, that at current these are not at satisfactory levels etc. I will write the template of the email and all you need to do is change it around slightly to change it for you!

We will set a date to bombard esat's email address using different subject heading and hopefully they may improve our bb service, i also want to point out to people who are saying that if we got a 16gig cap we would be happy, i want to point out to you at the price we are paying for broadband that this is ridicoulous, either a 50mb cap or no cap at all would be somewhat acceptable, also we need to ask for more than we want.

Example what we want is 1024/512 at least on basic package and 2048/1024 on advanced business connection so we need to tell them we want double this.

Anybody in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 820 ✭✭✭qBot

neon_glows wrote:
    either a 50mb cap or no cap at all.....

I hope u as for a bit more than 50 megabytes :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Jesus1222

I've emailed Esat asking them about a: their extortionate charges for downloading more than your cap allows, b: their download allowance which limits 2Mbit users to ~40 minutes per day use of their service.

I've also told them I'm cancelling my subscription at the earliest opportunity.

Its about as much as you can do yourself. After you get a response from Esat though you can then email Comreg (unless Esat have a change of heart and increase caps and offer larger caps for little or nothing - with PPPoE this is very doable, just a matter of getting support people clued in - but then again they may not have the billing system set up yet) and make the same complaints. Im sure somebody has complained before and obviously there is some loophole. But for anybody who is or has been charged the 3c per MB I'd say Comreg would have something to say about Esat charging extortionate rates at x000% profit. Also, you can email Comreg asking them if it is fair for Esat to limit their customers to 40 minutes per day usage of an always-on
    broadband product.

Personally, I think a fair and reasonable cap - in this day and age - would be 64GB. 4 times the current one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Merging threads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

Macros42 wrote:
    Macros42: ok - in that case can you tell me what IOL's position is on the cap now that Eircom's is actually better that IOLs
    Stephen S: The download limit is 8Mb
    Macros42: the info I have is that the limit is combined up/down
    Macros42: whereas Eircom's is now 8/16 down only
    Macros42: the reason I went with IOL in the first place was the higher cap
    Macros42: exactly what I said - but Eircom's is down only not combined which means it is a higher cap so is IOL going to increase theirs?
    Stephen S: There are no iminent plans for this. We have increased the speeds for all BB customers today
    Macros42: actually mine was done on Saturday but the cap is a concern - 8 or 16 is very low especially in comparison to other EU countries
    Macros42: can you tell me who I can mail regarding this as I am considering switching provider now that Eircom have doubled theirs
    Stephen S: You could submit your suggestion to customer care to increase this.
    Stephen S: E-mail : customer.care@esat.com
    Stephen S: You will also need to contact them if you wish to cancel your EsatBT service.

The cap is not combined, it has been discussed on this forum many times before. On IOLBB+ you can download 16gb and upload 16gb in any given month.

Moriarty wrote:
    Merging threads.

Thanks, wont happen again just was in a rush. As far as i know im locked into a contract, also im p******d of over the fact that these people charge me for installing the bb equipment myself, 90 euro, they then told me on the phone this charge was for the modem, so then i asked can i keep it and was told no
    qBot wrote:
    I hope u as for a bit more than 50 megabytes

Sorry man i must read what i write, lol.

So whose on for this email thing?

neon_glows wrote:
    Sorry about earlier, i had to run to class,

i am wondering about how you guys would feel about sending an email to esat about the cap/upload speed, that at current these are not at satisfactory levels etc. I will write the template of the email and all you need to do is change it around slightly to change it for you!

We will set a date to bombard esat's email address using different subject heading and hopefully they may improve our bb service, i also want to point out to people who are saying that if we got a 16gig cap we would be happy, i want to point out to you at the price we are paying for broadband that this is ridicoulous, either a 50mb cap or no cap at all would be somewhat acceptable, also we need to ask for more than we want.

Example what we want is 1024/512 at least on basic package and 2048/1024 on advanced business connection so we need to tell them we want double this.

Anybody in?

Well over in the UK BT have our offering for £26.99(2mbit with 15GB CAP) and for £3 extra you get a 30GB CAP.

As EsatBT is BT...and £30 is ~€43 why dont they just give us a 30GB CAP also and stop all this pissing around to save €1 (~cost of extra 16GB)???
    I realise eircom control the network here...but esatBT can set their own caps!

I have no doubt what so ever esatBT will loose LOTS of customers in the €39 package to eircoms €39.98 package as there is apparently no installation charge for it unlike esatBT's €90 charge!!!
    They will also get hit hard with people on their €47 pacjage going over to eircom to avail of their unlimited upload.

*EsaBT will have a very large increase in people going over the CAP this month and mabye its getting ready to charge...I really dont know...but IMHO they should double the CAP now!!!"

I've seen mention of this €90 charge, but back in November when I signed up to Esat I distinctly remember asking them if there was an installation charge and they telling me specifically that there was no installation charge IF you decided to keep the service after the free trial. If they try to charge me based on what they are saying NOW, rather than what they told me then - I will be doubly pissed off with them.

Although I remember speaking to them, Im not as sure if the free installation was mentioned as part of the deal. Can anybody remember?

• Advertisement

julius wrote:
    30GB CAP

Dont mean to be snarly but alot more than doubling the cap is needed. They might aswell not have bothered to upgrade our 512 if they were not willing to increase our cap. Im now 100% serious about moving from them to another company after the contract, they have been terrible and totaly ****ed up my billing aswell. so unhappy.

The cap is not combined, it has been discussed on this forum many times before. On IOLBB+ you can download 16gb and upload 16gb in any given month.

That's not what the tech monkey told me

The CAP is NOT combined. I am sure of this 100%.

Jesus1222 wrote:
    I've seen mention of this €90 charge, but back in November when I signed up to Esat I distinctly remember asking them if there was an installation charge and they telling me specifically that there was no installation charge IF you decided to keep the service after the free trial.

The fourth month is free if you sign up for a year. The €90 installation charge is levied then except if you also have their phone service. When you bundle them the installation is waived. At least that's what I was told when my 3 month trial was up.

[edit]details here:
    ESAT wrote:
    Self Install Charge €90*

*The €90 self install charge is waived for customers who combine their IOL Broadband service with any Esat BT phone product
    [/edit]

Im almost certain aswell i was told no installation charge, i got very upset after (6 months of service i recieve my first bill) FINAL NOTICE, rang them up and they agreed this was the first time they notified me. And told me i owed them a large sum which didnt seem to work out doing maths so i asked for a statement before i paid, they sent me a statement and loan behold there was the 90instal charge. i rang up to pay and to argue the 90fee but they said i was told before and said id have to go back to costumer care, i still have 100e outstanding, i never went back to costumer care but paid 200 or more of my account in fear that they would disconnect me.

Okay do you have to ring up and ask for 1 year subscription or after trial is this taken for granted, its nearly worth my while to stay the year to avoid paying the 90fee however if im not upgraded to a larger cap i may leave anyway.

Whose interested in this email idea?

Also a topic on this forum would be good, all you do is post your name in the reply and we can see how many costumers object this low cap and ill email all costumers names away!

Macros42 wrote:
    The fourth month is free if you sign up for a year. The €90 installation charge is levied then except if you also have their phone service. When you bundle them the installation is waived. At least that's what I was told when my 3 month trial was up.

[edit]details here:

[/edit]
    This is a new. The original offer, up to 31st of November, did advertise free installation afaik. I'll see if I can find something on google about it. As I said, I do remember being told this when I was signing up.

Well I signed up in October. And when I called them in Feb to continue on with them that's what they told me.

Okay please do that if you can and i will also email costumer care about that, feel like they could be screwing me over big time,

i joined when they originally came out in july in waterford and when i got the statement my mum was pissed of with me because she said there definately wasnt a 90e fee and i was not going to sit another 2 hours in que on there care line and get dropped a 100 times.

Email seems the better option.

• Advertisement

neon_glows wrote:
    Okay do you have to ring up and ask for 1 year subscription or after trial is this taken for granted, its nearly worth my while to stay the year to avoid paying the 90fee however if im not upgraded to a larger cap i may leave anyway.

Whose interested in this email idea?

Also a topic on this forum would be good, all you do is post your name in the reply and we can see how many costumers object this low cap and ill email all costumers names away!

Im interested in it allright.
    Ive already heard stories of eircoms dirty dealings with "advanced billing" so they are a no..no...but netsource and digiweb look more appealing by the day given that digiweb offer a 20GB cap in their Plus service.

Will have no probs giving my name and such as long as we can get a LOT more people to do the same as united we stand and divided we fall!!!
    What sickens me is that your not even given the choice of a service with a cap of 30,40 or even 50GB.
    Even business customers must follow a "fair usgage policy", meaning that in their nest month esatBT may view 45GB being too much and charge you €30 extra or something.

......Will esatBT just do as their website promo says and give us "Double Eircoms CAP"!!!!

Advertisement