Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IolBB Caps Increased!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Jesus1222

Yeah, Ill probably be stung for it Im sure either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭neon_glows

even though i mention my mum alot, lol im the one paying broadband, im a college student who earns 85euro a week after emergency tax and with that little amount of money im forking out for my bb connection so my cost of broadband means alot more to me than most other people and the reason i havent a car, the least they can do is give me a decent service with the price im paying.

I also use my connection for mainly education purposes (so wtf)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Jesus1222 wrote:
    The CAP is NOT combined. I am sure of this 100%.
    Has anyone got anything concrete to confirm this. I've been told by three different people in Esat that it's a combined cap.

Moriarty - if you feel this deserves it's own thread or to revive an old one just say so :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭julius

Jesus1222 wrote:
    This is a new. The original offer, up to 31st of November, did advertise free installation afaik. I'll see if I can find something on google about it. As I said, I do remember being told this when I was signing up.

I signed up before that offer expired on 7/8th December 2004...but through their incompetence with my order I only received their service about 1 month ago.

Im pretty sure watever offers were around before that deadline I would qualify for.

But from reading their PR crap on the website a charge of €90 is levied for €39 customers and €80 for €47 to cover the background costs of actually activating your line for DSL.

All in all Netsource and Digiweb are looking sweeter by the day!!!

neon_glows wrote:
    Whose interested in this email idea?

You can count me in on this.

• Advertisement

Macros42 wrote:
    Has anyone got anything concrete to confirm this. I've been told by three different people in Esat that it's a combined cap.

Moriarty - if you feel this deserves it's own thread or to revive an old one just say so :)

I have viewed DSL Statistic screen of other esatBt customers with a 13,14,15GB download and mabye 4,5,6GB upload without any sign on their page of bypassing the CAP(including myself..;-)

But i have seen other people with a download of 17Gb with very low upload and a an associated warning in red text that they had exceeded the CAP.

Take it as 100%:
    Basic Packager in esatBT/iolBB for €39
    Download: 8GB
    Upload : 8GB
    Exceed either and you exceed the cap, but an upload of 7GB and download of 7GB will give you no problems with esatBT.

The same id true for the Plus version and 16GB cap.

Sweet we definately have to get something going, what would be cool is an email to them (Change the subject each time so there not all deleted) and stating who we are and what we want for our money,

at the end of the email everybody that has agreed to it on the forums will habe there name printed and plus they will all send out the email aswell. , plus if these gets any proper momentum i will ring other companies saying look we are x amount of people, this is what we want can you offer us a group discount rate for our broadband or more importantly a better service etc.

julius wrote:
    Take it as 100%:
    Basic Packager in esatBT/iolBB for €39
    Download: 8GB
    Upload : 8GB

I'll have to take your word for it but until Esat tell me otherwise I'm just gonna be careful ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

Esat don't know their arse from their elbow. Who knows what goes on in their offices?

Check new message for new email, check with mods for permission. More info in new thread.

• Advertisement

okay here is the new topic, reply to topic with your name and do as the post asks.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=2571120#post2571120

Please wait while we find an agent to assist you...
    You have been connected to Graham A.
    Graham A: Hello, how can I help you?
    n butler: Hi Graham, um Question about the 90euro installation fee
    n butler: am i right in saying this is for free when i have opted to stay with your service after the trial
    Graham A: The installation fee is payable if you choose to keep your service after the free trial, this fee is waived if you have one of our home phone packages.
    n butler: so there was never a time when the installation fee was free?
    Graham A: Only when you take a home phone package with your Broadband.
    n butler: okay thank you
    Graham A: Thank you for contacting us. If you require further information/assistance,
    please feel free to come back and chat with us.
    n butler: Also
    n butler: is there any news on when the cap will be increased?
    Graham A: If you keep checking our website on a regular basis any changes will be available to view.
    n butler: cheers and also since upgrade when playing online games my ping is gone through the roof (slowing my connection) why is this and are esat aware of this?
    Graham A: Our Technical department will be able to assist you with this query. You can contact them by e-mail at support@iol.ie
    n butler: thanks graham, take care
    Graham A: Thank you for contacting us. If you require further information/assistance,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Just got off the live webchat with surprise surprise 'Graham A'. (I've changed his name to protect the innocent!) ;)
    Me: also, what's happening with the caps. i can't find any information about how uch the new cap will be
    Phone Monkey: There is being alot of work being carried out on the lines today, this may be the reason why. This should be all finished tomorrow.
    Phone Monkey: The download cap stays the same at present.
    Me: that doesn't seem very good
    Me: eircom have doubled theirs, how come ESAT haven't?
    Phone Monkey: There is a new offer that will be available for showing this month, this will be better than anyone elses. If you check the website this month you will be able to see this.
    Me: any idea when?
    Me: even a little clue?
    Phone Monkey: It will be sometime towards the end of this month.
    Me: go on, give me a clue.
    Me: you know you want to
    Phone Monkey: I do not have this information available to me, I must apologise for this.
    Me: not even a hint?
    Me: i won't tell anyone where i found out, i promise.
    Phone Monkey: Once again I must apologise but I do not have this information available to me, if you keep checking the website on a regular basis you will see this.
    Me: okay, fair enough i won't push you.
    Me: quick question about caps.
    Me: are ESAT charging for going over the cap at this point?
    Phone Monkey: We reserve the right to charge customers who exceed the limit by large amounts.
    Me: what's a large amount?
    Me: are we talking flat out 24/7 or regular heavy user large amounts?
    Phone Monkey: Our Customer Care department will be able to help you with this query. You can contact them by e-mail at customer.care@esat.com
    Me: okay. nicely sidestepped
    Me: are you busy tonight?
    Phone Monkey: I must apologise but I can only answer questions regarding ESAT BT products.
    Me: are you a robot?
    Phone Monkey: No I am a person.
    Me: you sound like a robot.
    Phone Monkey: Is there anything else I can help you with?
    Me: Go on, you can go if you like. Unless you feel like chatting. Must be boring tied to a phone & pc all day (or night).
    Phone Monkey: Thank you for contacting us. If you require further information/assistance,
    Thank you for using InstantService. You may now close this window.
    Your session has ended. You may now close this window.

Do you think I could bug people for a living?

EDIT: Highlighted the important bit. Seems we've bugged them enough!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

vibe666 wrote:
    Yes, good stuff I think this means we will be getting a 32GB cap and no upload cap :D Much better frankly that sort of a cap is one I feel much more comfortable about - now if we can get my line to stay connected and my speeds stable I will be a happy boy. For one or two weeks ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

That's pants tbh... I got free (self)installation when I signed up towards the end of 2003... twas an offer they had going at the time and I didn't have to sign up for any esat phone package either.
    Just to nit-pick like ;)

neon_glows wrote:
    You have been connected to Graham A.
    Graham A: Hello, how can I help you?
    n butler: Hi Graham, um Question about the 90euro installation fee
    n butler: am i right in saying this is for free when i have opted to stay with your service after the trial
    Graham A: The installation fee is payable if you choose to keep your service after the free trial, this fee is waived if you have one of our home phone packages.
    n butler: okay thank you
    n butler: Also
    n butler: is there any news on when the cap will be increased?
    Graham A: If you keep checking our website on a regular basis any changes will be available to view.
    n butler: cheers and also since upgrade when playing online games my ping is gone through the roof (slowing my connection) why is this and are esat aware of this?
    Graham A: Our Technical department will be able to assist you with this query. You can contact them by e-mail at support@iol.ie
    n butler: thanks graham, take care

I got Graham A as well...grilled him good on the CAP and about their false advertising!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

Funny, the front page of the super-up-to-date IOL website is still flogging the 'free trial' offer that expired at the end of last month if I'm not mistaken. :eek:

You have been connected to Tyrone C.
    Tyrone C: Good Afternoon, how can I help you?
    me : hi im interested in purchasing IOL BB
    me : Im moving from utv as there cap is out rageous
    me : my friend recommended IOL as you are increasing your cap is that right?
    Tyrone C: we have just increased the download speed but not the caps,
    me : hello?
    Tyrone C: our current cap is 16GB
    me : on the basic package is it?
    Tyrone C: its currently 8GB for normal broadband
    me : okay
    me : but
    me : its a pity so there isnt an increase in cap aswell, my friend said there definately was an increase, if you check this out here:
    me : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=240557&page=4
    me : if you scroll down to the post 74 it says u were increasing the cap
    Tyrone C: I will take a look now
    me : thanks
    me : can you find it?
    Tyrone C: We might be increasing our download caps soon, but I do not have informatio at this time
    me : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=240557&page=4
    me : post 74
    Tyrone C: Yes I found the post by vibe666
    me : yup, so u reckon there maybe some truth to it? See i am able to leave my contract now from utv
    me : when do you reckon there wil be an annoucement on the cap
    Tyrone C: Currently I do not have any date, but you I can give you customer care's details as they would have more information on this
    me : okay cool so they can give me more information, thanks
    me : whats the email there?
    Tyrone C: You can contact Customer Care by emailing them at customer.care@esat.com.
    me : thanks tyrone take it easy man!
    Tyrone C: Have a good day
    Tyrone C: If you have any more enqueries, please do not hesitate to contact us.
    Thank you for using InstantService. You may now close this window.
    Your session has ended. You may now close this window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

It may be that he just doesn't know about it yet - the monkeys are always the last to be told.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,212 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

vibe666 wrote:
    Me: are you busy tonight?
    Phone Monkey: I must apologise but I can only answer questions regarding ESAT BT products.
    LOL! "What are you wearing ;)"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

I was inspired by that 'Naked Camera' thing on RTE2 last night (10pm). nothing is more fun than messing with people's heads. :D

I thought the 'are you a robot' thing was quite funny myself.

I almost expected him to say 'I'm a real live boy!'

lol

neon_glows wrote:
    Tyrone C: You can contact Customer Care by emailing them at customer.care@esat.com.

Yeah good luck with that. You'll get a nice little :
    Thank you for your e-mail to the Esat BT Customer Care Team.

PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND TO THIS AUTO RESPONSE.  Your query is currently being processed and we shall be [B]in touch with you within 48 hours.[/B]

If your fooking lucky!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭vishal

they'll tell you that they cannot help you with this and that you should email support@iol.ie.
    you should do this now to save time.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭jayneemac

Macros42 wrote:
    That's not what the tech monkey told me

I was taking to this guy only last week & he told me that the cap was definately NOT combined i.e. 8GB up & 8GB down.
    so this guy is either a moron & doesn't understand the question or he's just taking the piss!!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭-Al-

vibe666 wrote:
    Just got off the live webchat with surprise surprise 'Graham A'. (I've changed his name to protect the innocent!) ;)

Do you think I could bug people for a living?

LOL, f*ckin funny stuff @ your conversation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭peeko

yep I lmao :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭obewan

Regarding the Caps, this information is on their site. In the "Small Window" (questions) scroll down to "Is there going to be a Data Transfer Limit"

So it looks like it's a "combined cap." Although I thought it was 16GB up and 16GB down (using their Business Package).

Mick.

Stop!!!!

Its 8GB up AND then 8GB down for basic and then 16 each way for Plus.

Ive Downloaded 14.5GB and uploaded 6GB last month and I was fine...no red warnings or anything.
    Ive viewed others who have passed 16GB download with only a small upload and then I saw a red warning.
    Is there going to be a data transfer limit?
    You are entitled to free upload or download of up to 16Gigabytes of data in any given month. This is double the allowance on the eircom home starter plus service.

If you go over this generous limit then we reserve the right to charge you for any additional data (at 3cent inc VAT per MB)

The 16GB limit refers to both upload and download. [b]You will be entitled to use 16GB in either direction without penalty. i.e. you can upload 15GB and download 15GB in the same month without penalty. However if you upload 4GB and download 17GB then your account will be suspended[/b] 

This data allowance is calculated on a daily basis and if you are consistently above this amount we reserve the right to suspend or permanently disconnect your account during the first month you go over it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

I'm getting this warning on IOL basic package (I never got any warning in the past, even when I exceeded the cap):

At your current rate of usage you are likely
    to go over your download limit in 22 days
    Logins 7
    Offpeak Traffic 6385 minutes
    Peak Traffic 2400 minutes
    Data uploaded 0.74 GB [793096639 bytes]
    Data downloaded 3.82 GB [4102665101 bytes]
    Last Login Tue Apr 5 18:40:30 2005

So the cap could be anything between 16GB-22GB?

Advertisement