Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IolBB Caps Increased!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭julius

I think it works on the amount you downloaded since the previous logging of downloaded data.

I suspect if you exceed 250MB for Basic and 500MB for Plus in a 24hour period you will get that warning.

I had the same type of warning on the 2nd as the last couple of days in March had not been logged and when they were finally logged in 1 day I had "downloaded" something like 2GBytes.

Wouldnt read too much into it now...but for everyone on iolBB I hope Basic/Plus packages have had their CAP's doubled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭Willymuncher

Nope, i get the warning i'm going over in 1 day...nothing has changed

At your current rate of usage you are likely
    to go over your download limit in 1 days
    Logins 10
    Offpeak Traffic 6808 minutes
    Peak Traffic 2576 minutes
    Data uploaded 1.72 GB [1849782600 bytes]
    Data downloaded 12.57 GB [13497095264 bytes]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

before i started my cap munching spree, i made a point of using as much bandwidth as i could without going over and I've had just under 16gb down and 12gb up on IOLBB+ and didn't exceed the cap. what does that tell you? there really is no question about it. 100% without a doubt, the cap is 16gb down and 16gb up not 16gb combined.

still not heard anything back about the business package.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭vishal

there has been many months that i have used iol and did 15 down and 15 up and there have been "no you have exeeded your monthly limit".

anyway anybody that was on 1mb and should on 2mb been upgraded yet?

got an email from iol today:
    The Broadband upgrades have only been applied in the last few days. Our Internet Department are currently working to provide all Broadband customers with the correct upgrades.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

No the cap is 16 down and 16 up its not combined.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

to go over your download limit in 9 days
    Logins 9
    Offpeak Traffic 7854 minutes
    Peak Traffic 3000 minutes
    Data uploaded 1.42 GB [1522814740 bytes]
    Data downloaded 7.73 GB [8305014302 bytes]

i've downloaded around 3 GB between the last 2 logins, hopefully this shows the cap being increased... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

rocky wrote:
    to go over your download limit in 9 days
    Logins 9
    Offpeak Traffic 7854 minutes
    Data uploaded 1.42 GB [1522814740 bytes]
    Data downloaded 7.73 GB [8305014302 bytes]

i've downloaded around 3 GB between the last 2 logins, hopefully this shows the cap being increased... :)

what package are u on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

Just spoke to IOL Customer Care because, like many here, my upgrade was processed but my speeds didn't increase.

Was informed that this was system-wide for those who upgraded and due to a 'programming error.'

But here's the interesting news: he said my cap would be upgraded to 24GB when they finally managed to switch me over.

Remember, you heard it here first. Unless you heard it somewhere else. ;)

So nows it will be 2mbits with a CAP of 24GBytes???

No great but an improvement I must say.

lomb wrote:
    what package are u on?

IOL basic package

• Advertisement

WTF!!!!

Hey rocky,

9 days left with 7.73 GB downloaded and your on the Basic(8GB monthly download) package????

You'll hit 8GB by the end of the day.....keep us informed if you get anywarnings tomorrow.

Thanks

BTW
    8B CAP with a 1mbit connection is beyond a joke!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 800 ✭✭✭dabhoys

I assume the 24 if its true is for Plus customers??
    Ernie Ball wrote:
    Just spoke to IOL Customer Care because, like many here, my upgrade was processed but my speeds didn't increase.

Was informed that this was system-wide for those who upgraded and due to a 'programming error.'

But here's the interesting news: he said my cap would be upgraded to 24GB when they finally managed to switch me over.

Remember, you heard it here first. Unless you heard it somewhere else. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Jesus1222

It would want to be at least double, preferably quadruple. I cant wait to upgrade to 2Mbit, despite a 128K upstream making full use of broadband impossible, but if there is no significant increase in caps then there is no point in upgrading. 24GB is a joke.

And as soon as my contract is up with Esat Im switching to Smart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 800 ✭✭✭dabhoys

What spec are Smart offering???

I'd love a larger upload speed too and larger cap...

True Jesus1222,

If BT gives their British customers a 30GB CAP for slightly cheaper than what we pay with a 16GB CAP.......why in hell cant Irish BT customers get the same 30GB CAP.
    And when you go beyond the CAP there you can still use the net at 150kbit/s without any chance of paying fines for exceeding your CAP!!!

This isnt about eircom owning the lines or anything as each bitstream ISP can create their own CAPS as they wish...and can purchase 1GB for ~5cent....why cant we have a 30GBytes CAP as well?????
    It will only cost them an extra €1....sh!t I pay more than that for my daily paper!!!

FFS...UTV gives their customers in the UK unlimited 1Mbit connections for ~€40 a month....why cant we have the same???

dabhoys

Garfiels was quoting 2mbit download and 128kupload before eircom gave us the "upgrade".

People were pushing for an upload of 256k at least!!!

The good news is that its unlimited....but after some coersion....a download limit of between 50GB-80Gb and less than 100GB was hinted at.

If esatBT were OK with giving us 16GBytes on a 512k line...they should be realistic and offer us a 30GB download CAP a month for the 2Mbit package...at the very least!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭Willymuncher

Hmmm 24 gig is alright, not out of this world fantastic, but even for a heavy user like me who fails to find things to download when at 14 gig right now :-/ its alright

I never said 24GBytes was a bad thing.

But honestly, why do we always settle for less than what, for example, you can get in the UK.
    The UK isnt outstanding in terms of broadband, especially compared to France, so is it such a task to have similar deals here to what you get there???

Honestly though 24GBytes will only just about cope with the above average downloader...I would prefer 30GB for safety reasons.
    Just becaise you are allocated it dosent mean you will use it all each and every month.
    With pessamestic ISP views like that, IBB couldnt make a profit, yet they can for some strange reason???

30GB for safety wont significantly change the downloading stats of the average user as most may only be hitting 5GB or 10GB now.
    But the same is entirely true for users in the UK isnt it????

So I say again....is parity with the UK too much to ask???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

It would be great if Esat could carry forward your unused GB's because i only downloaded 10gigs last month and if the current cap is 24gb with the 6 gb's i have unused i would have 30gb's.

Also i downloaded 4gb's last night (Linux) and it has'nt said anything about me going over the limit in so many days.

When you get up tomorrow the stats page will have been updated and you'll get a warning for sure!!!

BTW,
    What type of connection were you getting(100,200,220,?) with the 4GB download?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

julius wrote:
    When you get up tomorrow the stats page will have been updated and you'll get a warning for sure!!!

BTW,
    What type of connection were you getting(100,200,220,?) with the 4GB download?

220 but sometimes it drops to 214 but granted im less than 50mtrs from the exchange

dabhoys wrote:
    I assume the 24 if its true is for Plus customers??

Right. He mentioned this in an almost offhand way during a discussion of my upgrade from basic to plus.

I wouldnt put a lof of trust into offhand remarks....but still its a good omen of a possible CAP increase to come within the remainder of the month.

They cant be stupid and must realise that the 16GB CAP will be left for scrap with people all excited and testing out their new connections.
    A 50% increase in the CAP is the very minimum...but a 100% increase like eircom would be much more welcome....if only for EsatBT to gloat about.

I was hoping for more then 30Gb.....24 is not exactly fantastic :(

julius wrote:
    I wouldnt put a lof of trust into offhand remarks....

Well, it was offhand but he seemed pretty sure of it (as well as being better informed than the 3 other EsatBT employees I spoke with today). He said something like 'not only will you be getting 4 times the former speed but the cap has been increased 50% from 16 to 24GB.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭bounty

when is this 24 gb cap going to be official?

off hand remarks could be lies so easy

im already over the 16 gb cap

Could you post an image of your stats page bounty???

I just want to see what your warning is telling you exactly.

bounty wrote:
    when is this 24 gb cap going to be official?

off hand remarks could be lies so easy

'Lies' is a little strong. I'm not lying and I didn't get the impression that he was either.

But you'd do well to be cautious until something official is announced.

If I had to bet my life one way or another, I'd bet that 24GB is the number, mostly because it fits EsatBT's modus operandi (i.e. offer something just slightly better than Eircom and no better than they have to). But it could just as easily stay at 16GB and I know many have been told that.

Did anyone bother to ring them today to confirm?

Ernie Ball wrote:
    'Lies' is a little strong. I'm not lying and I didn't get the impression that he was either.
    Not lies but "waffle" - he could have just decided to feed you a nice sounding number and came up with 24 on the spur of the moment. That's not what I think though, I have a feeling 24 is all they are going to give us :(

• Advertisement

to go over your download limit in 8 days
    Logins 11
    Offpeak Traffic 9547 minutes
    Data uploaded 1.61 GB [1725724240 bytes]
    Data downloaded 8.89 GB [9540347668 bytes]

:)

Advertisement