Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IolBB Caps Increased!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Lantis

At your current rate of usage you are likely
    to go over your download limit in 2 days
    Logins 20
    Offpeak Traffic 9050 minutes
    Peak Traffic 3575 minutes
    Data uploaded 3.17 GB [3405981482 bytes]
    Data downloaded 13.13 GB [14101039048 bytes]

...argh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭julius

Obviously no new CAPS have come into effect!!!.......as of yet anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭bounty

julius wrote:
    Could you post an image of your stats page bounty???

I just want to see what your warning is telling you exactly.

Logins 10
    Offpeak Traffic 9718 minutes
    Peak Traffic 3600 minutes
    Data uploaded 0.52 GB [559216997 bytes]
    Data downloaded 17.35 GB [16482956248 bytes]

Click here for history

as you can see im a leecher, not much upload at all :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Bounty, does it say you have broken the cap?

no, but the message that used to say "At your current rate of usage you are likely to go over your download limit in x days" is gone

• Advertisement

Very interesting...

Yes bounty,

You are king of the leechers AFAIK...hahahaha
    But no message stateing you have exceeded your CAP or such???

In your honest opinion as it is the 10th...how much will you have downloaded in 3 weeks time???
    If would be safe to say that with a CAP of 16GB...hitting 20GB in the month probable wont raise eyebrows...but even if you slow down a lot...you'll still end up with ~30GB downloaded this month.

Hpefully your not the only one who will go bonkers...as there is always safety in mumbers!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭vishal

ban all leachers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

Has anyone here ever been charged extra for going over the limit with esat ??

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Sidane

IOL Broadband Plus users have had their download speed quadrupled, the cap should increase by the same ratio. 16 x 4 = 64 gigs a month.

Not gonna happen me thinks, but we can always hope! :) It surely has to at least double though, sooner rather than later. Esat need that competitive edge over Eircom.

PS - just completed my first big download since upgrade, Red Orchestra 3.2, 680 megs in 1 hour. Woot! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

a few notes:

I'm obviously over the IOLBB basic package cap.

Before the upgrade, i NEVER received any warning, even when I broke the cap by a few MB or so. Maybe they are not monitoring all of us? ;)

Is there a posibillity that they upgraded me to IOLBB Plus? Don't think so, but you never know... the statistics page of the modem shows 1024 kbs downstream speed.

Or they are upping the cap in stages, not everybody at the same time... :confused:

julius wrote:
    Yes bounty,

You are king of the leechers AFAIK...hahahaha
    But no message stateing you have exceeded your CAP or such???

In your honest opinion as it is the 10th...how much will you have downloaded in 3 weeks time???
    If would be safe to say that with a CAP of 16GB...hitting 20GB in the month probable wont raise eyebrows...but even if you slow down a lot...you'll still end up with ~30GB downloaded this month.

Hpefully your not the only one who will go bonkers...as there is always safety in mumbers!!!

safety in numbers is good, so everyone start downloading like crazy :p

the reason i went over the download limit so fast is because i signed up for a 3 day trial with this place: http://www.usenetserver.com/
    damm it was just too easy to queue up gigs of stuff using newsleecher

i dont think i would risk signing up monthly until the cap has been increased, 64 gb would be ok, but i'd prefer 100 gb cap

Well bounty you are certainly living in dream land if you think 100GB or 64GB is around the corner for dsl bitstream ISP's!!!

I hope for 30GB to be introduced within the next month...but more is just gaga...unless they introduce an unlimited service like Smart.

Well they cant reign back the speeds so must compensate by increasing the CAPs.

In a year it may seem more worthwhile to spend €100 on an unlimited 3mb or 4mb service and being able to download 60GB or 100GB...but esatBT will be forced for commercial reasons to increase their CAP or have free installation without their current €80/€90 charge!!!

they inceased the speed x 4, why not the cap?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

Because increasing the cap by that much and not reducing the contention will lead to one person making broadband useless for a lot of people. Esat have no control over anything other than the cap so they have to work within the restrictions put on them and increasing the cap by anything higher than 30 would be suicide on their behalf.

Consider this though, it's 4 times quicker to download 4 times more stuff. So it essentially evens out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Giblet wrote:
    Consider this though, it's 4 times quicker to download 4 times more stuff. So it essentially evens out.

not really, as most heavy downloaders dont use usenet at full speed, they use bittorent and one essentially on average wont be downloading any faster than before. the last thing they want is people ringingup complaining about ping times and slowdowns......

Kristok wrote:
    Because increasing the cap by that much and not reducing the contention will lead to one person making broadband useless for a lot of people. Esat have no control over anything other than the cap so they have to work within the restrictions put on them and increasing the cap by anything higher than 30 would be suicide on their behalf.

suicide... bah thats bollox

we should get at least a 64gb cap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

bounty wrote:

And if u want one u can get it, it costs about 150euro a month for uncapped services.

Personially I dont think 30GB will be much of a problem for esatBT to provide.

If UTV and AOL can sell unlimited packages for less,still make a profit and not have their networks crash in the UK...why cant the same regime be implimented here???

It cant be the cost(~5cent a GByte)...so what is it???
    Mabye the poor condition of eircoms data network due to inadequate investment...who knows.

The deciding factor in broadband packages should not be their CAPs...but their bandwidth(1mbit....2mbit costing more etc...)!!!
    This has driven the US, Fench and more developed markets...so why not the same here.

Whether esatBT and others like it or not...16GB with media rich web pages and the proliferation of streaming content(audio/video) as well as large FREE downloadable games such as Americas Army? and also Linux distros reaching 4GB are becoming more and more popular.

I have a friend who purchased an ATI9600, for example, and received a voucher for a free copy of Half Life2 with the choice of downloading it or waiting for its release in shops here.
    Well he downloaded it...but that completely screwed up his downloading allowance for the rest of the month!!!

A CAP of 16GB anywhere but Ireland would be laughed at.....but when its the best you can get for DSL...it can make you cry.

• Advertisement

lomb wrote:
    And if u want one u can get it, it costs about 150euro a month for uncapped services.

Actually:

€89 + 21%VAT = ~€108

Twice the cost of eircoms overpriced 2Mbit service for a 50% increase in speed(3mbit/€89excl.VAT) but includes a so called unlimited CAP.

It would be interesting to note just how far this unlimited CAP actually increases to.
    In more rural areas it could reach a hundred GBytes but in Dublin city centre...you better believe it that they will put a CAP on it!!!

You must remember lomb that its still a business service...why should an Irish home Broadband user go for a business package when their British counterpart can get a home service of comparable CAP for less than half the price???

bounty wrote:

Personally i think 64 would be great but its unrealistic to expect or ask for. We are in irealand, comparisions to other countries are not fair there is allot more to it than if bt can do it in the uk why cant they do it here.

I think all the talk about cost per gb is useless its not like eircom really care about heavy downloaders and esat care less as long as they can make it look like they have a better package than eircom. At the end of the day if we get 30gb or close enough to it im sure most people will be happy, and maby next year we will get a price drop and a upload increase but at this point its actually looking like broadband in ireland is getting somewhere and im for one happy after so many years of dial up.

Speaking of a price drop Kristok...when was the last time there was one???

Comparisons between Ireland and the UK are not exactly testing eircom as the UK is not the bastion of Broadband technology that you believe it to be.

A comparison between Ireland and France would be unfair but not to the UK!!!

Imagine the bitching that would go on here if people seriously thought we should have whats available in France.....???
    20mbit/1mbit ADSL2 for €35 is probable a deacde away.....more if the average users is as relaxed as you Kristok.

There is more than likely going to be another speed increase or 2 before we get any price drop as it is far easier to give us a larger bandwidth and reign us in with restrictive caps than to drop the price by even €5.

Last price prop was almost exactly a year ago, and that was pretty much a year after the first home package came out. The price went down to its current from something like 80euro a month or around that price.

All im saying about comparrisions with other countries is that they are at different times in development in their broadband + there are political and social considerations to look at. I know the uk isnt that far ahead of us but they do have more competition from cable than we do and a much bigger potential customer base which makes investing in technology easier to justify. Eircom are still trying to get over all the money they wasted on isdn which never took off.

Expecting esat to increas their cap to 64 or 100 is just not realistic, i mean it would be great id love it but not very likly to happen. I personally couldnt use a 20mb line id have no use for it at all, 2mb is more than i can use now but in the future im sure stuff like internet tv stations will become more popular and we will want it but not right now so im some what relaxed about the current situation. The average customer is far more relaxed than i am.

What you have just said is completely true...and its exactly what makes the high ranking suits at eircom/esatBT and the others sleep soundly at night.

It still makes me sick of all the stalling that went on when eircom were happy to push dial-up.
    I still remember a month about 2 years ago when I received an internet bill for €120!!!!
    All I pay now is €47....and they had to spend millions to give me a cheaper bill at the end of the month!!!

But getting back to what DSL operators will give us in the near future.....a CAP of 30GB would be the least I would expect for a 2mbit line.
    There will be no price drop this year as the "upgrade" in bandwidth was their compromise with comreg.......price drop V's bandwidth upgrade.

But once Smart enters the market "successfully" and causes eircom to sweat, then we will see real competition.

Though it will be another 6months-to-1year before we can see if Smart have made a success of it or not!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Diabolus

I would like to add that julius you seem to want a lot.
    And you also seem to believe the false idea that Smart are offering an unlimited service.
    It has been stated on this site many times that they have an acceptable usage policy.
    Much like netsource and swedish DSL providers which usually indicates breaching this "acceptable downloading" results in a throttled connection for you.

Smart dont offer what you idolise them for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Yes but Smart will offer more then 30Gb - I think it will be close enough to 50Gb if not a little better and as yet they have not said anything about charging for going over. I can live with a slower connection for a short amount of time at the end of a month (I dont see myself hitting ~50Gb but just in case...) Also Smart do have that free line rental offer.

Diabolus wrote:
    I would like to add that julius you seem to want a lot.
    And you also seem to believe the false idea that Smart are offering an unlimited service.
    It has been stated on this site many times that they have an acceptable usage policy.
    Much like netsource and swedish DSL providers which usually indicates breaching this "acceptable downloading" results in a throttled connection for you.

Smart dont offer what you idolise them for.

I never said Smart were offering an unlimited service....I have stated previously that they were prepared to give ~50GB<->80GB a month and no more than 100GB.

Please dont compare what we have or will have within the next decade to what is curently possible in Sweden.
    A download CAP of a couple of hundred GBytes would be nice but I've never compared what we have in Ireland to what is possible in Sweden...I have only made comparisons between DSL providers within Europe and not...Fibre-to-house used in Sweden.

Simply put, if we dont put pressure on ISP's for changes, then they just wont change.
    They spent next to no money in the late 90's to give us 56K internet access...but due to pressure from Comreg,governemt and people power had to get off their asses in the last couple of years to give us DSL.
    If it were not for such pressure you and I would be still using Dial-Up....plain and simple.....would you prefer to use Dial-Up again Diabolus???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Diabolus

I went from dialup to adsl a long time ago...
    I bought it when it wasnt cheap.

Now im on cable.. :O

And another thing... You complaining about caps will not make a major corporation change their policies... and Comreg definitely will not fight the corner of a bigger cap.
    They want affordable fast BB for the average home user.

• Advertisement

i dont know if it means anything but the message saying that i was going to excede my download limit in 15 days that was on the download stats last night is gone now.

Advertisement