Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IolBB Caps Increased!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭-Al-

Macros42 wrote:
    hehehe www.esatbt.com is down for maintenance. Maybe they went over their cap ;)

workin ok for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭shltter

can i just ask what the hell are you guys downloading that you would need 50 gigs

is it bittorrent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Threads Merged.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭-Al-

it doesnt have to be illegal stuff, I downloaded a mod for battlefield vietnam, was about 1 gig, game demos, everything adds up, but you dont usually see 50 gig caps, you just see unlimited thats why it looks very big.

But ofcourse theres always going to be other uses too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

when did the move to BTIRELAND.IE happen?
    Won't improve there customer service anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

Sidane wrote:
    What does that page say Ernie? I'm getting a "Document Contains No Data" message.

It's the EsatBT page that officially says that the cap for BB Plus is now 24GB.

My post was merged from another thread where I brought up the new caps last week and was met with some understandable skepticism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Jesus1222

The cap is now combined. Yes. Thats right. Combined. So 16GB down and 8GB up is fine. 20GB down and 6GB up is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭lad12

I used their live help to get some more info and seemingly the caps where always combined...i thought it was 16 up and 16 down on the iol plus package?

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭jayneemac

has anyone ever been charged for going over cap

yep. not sure exactly how much coz it was after my 4month free period?
    if they charged me 90Euro for the modem then it was prob only somethin like 6Euro...
    i was very pissed at the time coz i didn't realise i had to pay to install the modem myself (which makes no bloody sense!)

i know it's in the T&C, but i didn't cop it at the time.

is it possible to upgrade to Plus after six months of use? i'd like to be able to keep the crappy modem at the very least...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 226 ✭✭sillo

I rang EsatBT's customer care line to get clarification. At first the guy said it was 24 up and 24 down - he was "pretty sure". I said "pretty sure" wasn't really good enough given the financial penalties at stake so he went off to confirm. When he returned he said it was actually 24 combined up and down.

"Has anyone thought of telling thecustomer about this?"
    "Yes, letters have been printed off and are going out in the post today"

I wait with bemused expression to see if this letter ever arrives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭jayneemac

Jesus1222 wrote:
    The cap is now combined. Yes. Thats right. Combined. So 16GB down and 8GB up is fine. 20GB down and 6GB up is not.

where are you getting your info from??? :confused:

a number of posters were speaking to esatbt help monkeys & we were all told that it was 16up & 16down = NOT combined!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭julius

Just goes to show how clueless the so called "support" at BT is!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

lad12 wrote:
    I used their live help to get some more info and seemingly the caps where always combined
    No it wasn't. From the old IOL FAQ:
    The 16GB limit refers to both upload and download. You will be entitled to use 16GB in either direction without penalty. i.e. you can upload 15GB and download 15GB in the same month without penalty. However if you upload 4GB and download 17GB then your account will be suspended

The new FAQ on btireland.ie states:
    You are entitled to free transfer of up to 12GB (24GB for Broadband Plus) of data in any given month .
    If you go over this generous limit then we reserve the right to charge you for any additional data (at 3 cents including VAT per MB).

But fails to explicitly state if that is actually combined, though it seems to be, or if it's an either direction limit, i.e. 24G up and 24G down.
    i thought it was 16 up and 16 down on the iol plus package?
    It was, and if it's now 24G combined that's actually a reduction and I for one will be cancelling at the end of my trial. I'll wait till these letters they're talking about appear and see what the actual limit will be first though.

Just been looking at the support pages from help.iol.ie and this is what it says when I searched the broadband section for "transfer limit"
    You are entitled to a free transfer limit of up to 12 Gigabytes

of data in any given month.

If you go over this generous limit then we reserve the right to charge you for any additional data (at 3cent inc VAT per MB).

You will be entitled to use 12GB in either direction without penalty. i.e. you can upload 12GB and download 12GB in the same month without penalty. However if you upload 4GB and download 13GB then your account will be suspended.

This data allowance is calculated at the end of every 24 hrs and if you are consistently above this amount we reserve the right to suspend or permanently disconnect your account during the first month you go over it.

So there's an explicit declaration that it is not a combined 12G limit on normal broadband anyway, it's 12G in each direction. It doesn't have a similar statement for the BB plus package but I would imagine that it is 24G in each direction for that too.

This is the link, if it works for others, not sure it will.

Well I take that this discussion is over now!!!

The CAP is not combined but is the amount of data which can be uploaded or downloaded in either direction.

END OF STORY!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭vishal

thanks for that jor el. looks like the new cap is not combined and it was just those live assistants scaring us.

vishal wrote:
    thanks for that jor el. looks like the new cap is not combined and it was just those live assistants scaring us.

Well thats what you get when these companies employ bullsh!tters and not technically minded people!!!

For BB+ it is 24G each way, the link is on the bottom of that last page I linked.
    You are entitled to a free transfer limit of up to 24 Gigabytes of data in any given month.
    If you go over this generous limit then we reserve the right to charge you for any additional data (at 3cent inc VAT per MB).
    You will be entitled to use 24GB in either direction without penalty. i.e. you can upload 24 GB and download 24GB in the same month without penalty. However if you upload 4GB and download 25GB then your account will be suspended.

It would just seem that nobody in Esat or BT Ireland has a clue where to find this answer, or is aware of it's existance. No surprises there then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

if thats the case can someone explain why if you dont get charged for downloading 24gb and uploading 24gb (total of 48gb traffic on the backhaul) for 1 month but if you do if you downloand 25gb and upload 1gb (total traffic over backhaul 26gb) you get billed\cut off????

dowload congesting the network? money grabbing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭vishal

jor el wrote:
    For BB+ it is 24G each way, the link is on the bottom of that last page I linked.
    You are entitled to a free transfer limit of up to 24 Gigabytes of data in any given month.
    You will be entitled to use 24GB in either direction without penalty. i.e. you can upload 24 GB and download 24GB in the same month without penalty. However if you upload 4GB and download 25GB then your account will be suspended.

It would just seem that nobody in Esat or BT Ireland has a clue where to find this answer, or is aware of it's existance. No surprises there then.

they changed there faq after all the bad publicity they got here

• Advertisement

Power to the people!!!

It appears BT are spying on us now....eh?????

Scruff wrote:
    <snip> dowload congesting the network? money grabbing?
    Money I'd say, or just being plain awkward. There's no real reason to have a cap at all as prices for data transfer are something like 5c per GB for the ISPs. And we already know that the majority of people don't even seem to use near the cap each month.

It's just their way of maintaing control of the little minions (us).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Jesus1222

jor el wrote:
    Money I'd say, or just being plain awkward. There's no real reason to have a cap at all as prices for data transfer are something like 5c per GB for the ISPs. And we already know that the majority of people don't even seem to use near the cap each month.

It's just their way of maintaing control of the little minions (us).

Bandwidth is not free. It costs an ISP more to supply you with 150GB per month over 20GB per month. BB margins are quite tight and Ive no problems with caps, just reasonable ones that match the product.

I didn't say it was free, I said it was cheap. When an ISP is charging almost €50 a month for 16G (or 24G now) the cost of that to the ISP is just €1.20. Obviously there is a cost in supplying the whole product but substantially increasing, or scrapping, the cap is not unreasonable.

Charging 3c per MB once you exceed the cap is also a ridiculous charge, an 600x increase in price. They could at least offer higher limit services at a reasonable (maybe €1 per GB) price.
    It costs an ISP more to supply you with 150GB per month over 20GB per month.
    Stating the obvious?

In the UK BT have implimented a system of charging for going over the CAP, if you so choose, or throttling back your speed to 150kbit/s if you are unwilling to pay €3 or so for an extra GByte.

150kbit/s is adequate for browseing and small downloads.

If BT began chargeing those for going over their CAPS...a similar system here would be better than paying large fines or being disconnected?!?!?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

jor el wrote:
    Just been looking at the support pages from help.iol.ie and this is what it says when I searched the broadband section for "transfer limit"
    You are entitled to a free transfer limit of up to 12 Gigabytes

of data in any given month.

April Summary for meee
    Logins 21
    Offpeak Traffic 19747 minutes
    Peak Traffic 7200 minutes
    Data uploaded 2.16 GB [2322523854 bytes]
    Data downloaded 12.05 GB [12937230389 bytes]

I'm on IOL basic package, I thought I'm supposed to get a warning if I exceeded my cap?

rocky,

Well you have just exceded your CAP by a small amount so mabye there is a slight amount of leeway?!?!

They might have just assumed that people wouldnt exceed their CAP or something and decided not to incorporate the warning message this moonth....hahaha!!!!

Im at ~20.5GB on the plus package this month...but will slow down for the next 10 days....honestly though I will probable exceed my CAP by a couple of GBytes as well and would like to know what others have reached so far this month???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭bonoman66

Almost 22GB at present - I'm on IOL/BT-Ireland (Whatever!) Plus Package

Its too easy to reach 20GB now :(

I too will have to 'back off' until next month now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭irishshogun

I've just gone over the 25gig mark :(, but in my own (weak) defence I'd hit around 23gigs in the first week of April alone so I'm being very good for the rest of the month and keeping my fingers crossed they dont screw me over.. damn you Bittorrent!! too much good stuff to dl. and with a 2mg line too easy to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭irishshogun

not being a post whore but for those of you wondering, yes the new cap came out after I'd gone over the limit (a lot) I was praying for an increase :o
    (dont line stuff up for dl on bitcomet you'll only suffer)

Advertisement