Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IolBB Caps Increased!

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

irishshogun, do you have a warning about exceeding your cap on your dsl stats page?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I have a warning that I'll exceed mine in 5 days. At 19G down now.

Rocky, are you sure your on the basic BB and not Plus? Just a thought as you should have a warning that you've exceeded your cap.

I wouldn't worry too much about it anyway.

well, I'm paying 80 euro every 2 months, so it must be the basic package :)

I'm not too worried, just wondering why I don't have the warning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭julius

At your current rate of usage you are likely
    to go over your download limit in 1 days

Data uploaded 6.02 GB [6465067148 bytes]
    Data downloaded 22.13 GB [23766675541 bytes]

Well I've hauled back a lot in the last couple of days but will probable exceed the CAP within the next week.

It dosent scare me too much as I'm certainly not going to be the only person passing the CAP this month...and when my monthly total gets added up....it should be no more than 26GB, hopefully, which is minor compated to some offenders here who have downloaded easily twice as much as me on the BASIC BT package!!!!!

As I said before if the CAP is exceeded BT should, as they do in the UK, limit our speeds(150K download) instead of actually fineing us.

I live in a town with a population of only ~2,500 and I seriously doubt that my exceeding the CAP will have any adverse effects on other users connected to my exchange...which is the purpose of the CAP anyway!!!

Anyone else breached the CAP and have you had any letters/phone calls yet from BT???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭irishshogun

rocky wrote:
    irishshogun, do you have a warning about exceeding your cap on your dsl stats page?

Yeah its says I've exceeded my limit :(

You have exceeded your download limit for this month!
    Logins 52
    Offpeak Traffic 20507 minutes
    Peak Traffic 8246 minutes
    Data uploaded 8.19 GB [8797530082 bytes]
    Data downloaded 25.05 GB [26570897981 bytes]

• Advertisement

I want a warning too :(

or else I'll just keep downloading :p

Im not too far behind you now irishshogun at ~23GB!!!!!

We should be fine now anyway as BT have too many things to be worrying about (stabilising their network/fixing speed probs/setting up BT connections correctly!) than going after people who have exceeded their CAPS by a couple of GBytes!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭irishshogun

Fingers crossed Julius :) , Roll on Monday Week, 24gigs gone in a week or so, who'd have thunk it!! sell it for a euro a gig over your limit and by Jimminy (been watchin old westerns lately!!) I'll buy it.

Right now I'm getting no warning whatsoever after being told for the last 4 or 5 days that I had 1 day to go before exceeding my CAP.

I've currently downloaded 23.27 GB which means I have not yet exceeded the 24GB CAP due to highly limited downloading(just web browseing).

I guess in the next 3 or 4 days I will exceed the CAP...but as its the 24th already it dosent bother me too much.
    Normially the last 2 or 3 days of the month are carried over into the next month due to BT's slow loggining.

My downloads for this month should then come in at less than 25GB which as far as Im concerned isnt even worth BT's time in fineing me.
    If I was able to get away with downloading 10GB on eircoms old Plus Package(8GB CAP) then an extra 1GB on top of 24GB should be fine.

How are others here situated in exceeding their CAP???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭bonoman66

Just broke the 26Gb barrier today. 2MBit (on plus package) with that cap of 24G is rather silly. Its far too easy to break that limit if your anyway a heavy user of the net. They quadrouple the bloody download speed in some cases (plus packages), leave the flaming upload the same & don't even double the download cap for those plus packages. It'll probably get sorted in another year when all the service providers start their next big sales pitch to try convinvence why one is better than the other again. Hopefully something like WiMax might have taken a hold by then & (like SMART did) force some good deals due to the real competition it might pose if the technology works as is hoped & is priced right :)

• Advertisement

Well I expect to see sometime tomorrow that I will have broken the 24GB CAP or come within 1 or 2 hundred MBytes of it!!!

Damn stupid having a a CAP of 150% the original with a download speed 400% of the original!!!

I didnt even do too much heavy downloading until the second week of the month and went a bit nuts for a week.

Well the more of us who break the CAP the better as there is always safety in numbers and we have a good reason for going a bit bonkers having 4 times the download capacity!!!!

I may well just throw caution to the wind and download away as normal and end up with 26-28GB downloaded this month as I am still on their trial....who knows.

Could others who are in a similar CAP busting position please give your own details/point of view???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭Willymuncher

Oh crap, i just broke the 27gb barrier....i didn't even realise i was this much gone over :-/ and still 6 days to go, i'm screwed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

julius wrote:
    Well the more of us who break the CAP the better as there is always safety in numbers and we have a good reason for going a bit bonkers having 4 times the download capacity!!!!

Or the more of us that do it the more reason they will have to start charging for going over the cap. They decide to charge you it wont make a difference if every other customer gos over the cap you will be the one and only person that will be dealing with them at that point.

Kristok wrote:
    Or the more of us that do it the more reason they will have to start charging for going over the cap. They decide to charge you it wont make a difference if every other customer gos over the cap you will be the one and only person that will be dealing with them at that point.

Oh I realise that its a question of economics but you should also remember that PR is a major factor in moden business.
    People always take a chance when they go over the CAP but BT must realise that people normially go a bit nuts with a faster service.

I live in a rural area (town of 3,000)with few others on my exchange.
    The main purpose of the CAP is to preserve service quality for others using the shared 2mbit line(be it 24/48 contention for 2/1mbit service).
    With a low DSL takeup the service is always going to be of a high quality.
    If BT charge people it is to preserve the quailty in the area.

Then again who knows...........but as I will have exceeded the CAP by tomorrow.....I hope BT dont decide to get nasty!!!

Advertisement