Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eccelston Quits Dr. Who

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Exactly. The typecasting excuse is piss poor. You know what you're getting into as soon as you accept such roles in a major franchise - be it Dr Who, Star Trek, or James Bond. You don't quit after such a short time and possibly endanger the show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭bluto

Hes holding out for more money. But how shortsighted were the BBC not sign him up for a 3 year contract. With the option of extending it. It all seems a bit fishy to me. Pehaps a ploy to attract more viewers next week. It would certanly be russels style

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Eccelston Quits Dr. Who

Noooo :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭foxybrowne

It shouldn't be the 10th doctor, should be still the 9th, thats using up too many lives too quick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Daft bugger. I'd like Bill Nighy to get it but its looks like Casanova has it in the bag.

Mike.

• Advertisement

Bloody hell
    He seemed perfect for the part.

Ah well onwards and upwards to episode 2

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

mike65 wrote:
    Daft bugger. I'd like Bill Nighy to get it but its looks like Casanova has it in the bag.

Nighy playing the role would very much get my attention. Would love to see it...not that it'd necessarily work but I'm a fan of Nighy and would love to just see how it goes/how he does it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

bedlam wrote:
    me TV show and mentioned he was not happy with filming taking up a serious amount of his time, 16 hrs a day 6 days a week for 9 months was what he mentiond iirc.

Shock horror! Soap stars would laugh at that. Anyways its 13 shows a season (one season a year I belive) so I thionk he must be exaggerating if only because the BBC could'nt afford a show that took 9 months a year to film.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

It seems the "fear of being typecast" excuse was in fact just a cover story by the bbc.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/4410943.stm

davej

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I'd say Eccelston is none to happy about that. Can't be too good for business being known as someone who fecks off when the time suits - even before the series airs. They could have dreamt up a better excuse towards the end of the series maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭regeneration

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/4396295.stm

God, and look at the BBC's line up of hot-contenders - aside from interesting choices like Bill Nighy, Alan Davies has once more appeared in the list. Shudder.
    Did anyone watch Jonathon Ross' show last friday? He was pratically begging Eddie Izzard to go for the role lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/4396295.stm
    Did anyone watch Jonathon Ross' show last friday? He was pratically begging Eddie Izzard to go for the role lol.
    I saw that. I do really like Eddie Izzard as a stand up. But any time I've seen him in a film acting, he's been awful.

Ross went on to show a clip of Eddie in Ocean's 12 saying "You're the best thing in this film" And he was terrible in the clip they showed.

I think David Tennant would be excellent.

David Thewlis would be great too... but he might be a bit too similar to Eccleston.

well i still dont write off Eccleston purely because if the first series goes well enough, the BBC might throw a helluva lot of money at him, enough to make him change his mind, or Russel T Davis persuading him ...

http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/602/602933p1.html

Interesting article on the whole controversy over Eccleston quitting; especially the remarks about the "blown surprise" due to happen at the end of episode 13... it's an educated guess that it's obviously a regeneration.

It's a terrible shame Paul McGann wont get a proper run as the Doctor :(

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Gavin W

It's just been officially confirmed - David Tennant is the new Doctor, woo-hoo! Or even "who"-hoo!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Gavin W wrote:
    It's just been officially confirmed - David Tennant is the new Doctor, woo-hoo! Or even "who"-hoo!
    Well I gotta watch "Casanova" to see if he's any use. He looks the part anyway, from pics that I've seen. He can do the dandyesque element to the Doc. Shame they're still using up the regeneration although I still think they might try and trick us and not use one up...

He's a bit too young to be honest ... 33 I believe, and looks younger than that...

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Gavin W

He's a bit too young to be honest ... 33 I believe, and looks younger than that...

Well Peter Davison was only 29 when he was cast, and he turned out alright.

As for the whole thing about running out of regenerations, I don't think it'll ever be a problem. They can always come up with a storyline where the Doctor gets a new regenerative cycle or something. Besides, Tennant's a huge fan of the series and will hopefully stay on for a good few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Watched all of Casanova - think that David Tennant is an amazing actor based on that series...OK, it would have been great to have Christopher Eccelston around for a little round longer but Tennant appears to be Dr. Who fan and he does have boyish mishief in his eyes...will be interesting to see how they continue the Rose/Dr. Who friendship.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I'm beginning to get a bit fed up with Eccelston already. All that beeming and grinning gets really annoying after a while.

• Advertisement

He could drop the "honest cocky wideboy avin' a larf" routine once in a while

Advertisement