Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whats your oldest possession ?

• 31-03-2005 2:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭

Was doing a clearout the other day and found an old metal box, full of my marble collection from about 20 years ago. Cant really date a marble, except there was a set with the A-Team members faces inside them ... Im guessing 1984 or so , also found a few starwars figures.... I reckon there my only surviving childhood toys.

There is older stuff in the house but there not specifically owned by me.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

My oldest possessions that were originally bought for me are Id say my surviving star wars toys. The oldest thing I currently have in my possession is a coin collection given to me by my dad, some are several hundred years old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

I have a piece of carved stone from the Parthenon circa 447b.c.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I'm a terrible hoarder yet this is easy for me to answer. It's a penny from 1897 with Queen Victoria on one side. It's new use is for protecting my aces during a game of Hold'em. Gawd bless ya M'am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Ive a box of Mcdonalds happy meal toys that i found in the attic a while ago. Me and my little brother used to collect em when we were small, Id say they go back to at least 1990

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Megatron

Well i have a few coins and stuff going back to 1700's.
    Also have a 4th editio or Dante.

but my most prized is a teddy (Jenny is the name) that i got the day i was born and i still have her today , making her 29 years old =)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭themole

i was looking in the garage for somethiong a while ago and i found two six million dollar man flasks.

i didn't remember ever owning one but my mother told me they we mine and my bro's. so i would have been around 4-5, dunno really, so that makes them 18-20 years old, i reckon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭taby

The oldest thing I own would be a kids game ( its one of those u have to put the block in a certain way and it makes picture move or sound). I almost killed myself when i was a toddler by pulling white spirits ( which my dad had left in a plastic sand castle bucket on the ledge) over my head. I was in hospital for few days and my dad bought me that. I only would have been a one year old or more so that would make this toy 19 years old.

:-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I'm sure I still have the teddy my Dad got me the day I was born in the attic in my mum's gaff. Oldest possession that I'd see/use on a regular basis? Probably some of my CD's which'd be about ten years old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

a stuffed toy called "reg rabbit"
    he's been passed on to each new generation in the family... think he's about 60 years old now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Despatch wrote:
    I have a piece of carved stone from the Parthenon circa 447b.c.
    Yeah and i know a guy who sells pieces of the berlin wall and rocks from the moon too :rolleyes:

My oldest possesion is a get well teddy bear that i got when i was 3 when i had the flu. It was to make me beter, and guess what? Im still alive!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭Ba_barbaraAnne

Not counting the bookcase that belonged to my great grandmother, I still have my first pair of glasses I got when I was eighteen months old, and the doll and golliwog I got for my 2nd and 3rd christmases respectively.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

I have a gold and garnet necklace that was owned by my great great grandmother.

Other than that my oldest possession would be a little teddy I got when I was born and my christening bracelet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭MidnightQueen

My oldest possesion would have to be myself! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

I have a piece of the true cross. ;p

I have a first edition of Lallah Rooke from 1817, but my oldest possesion that isn't second hand is the teddy my uncle got for me when my mother was pregnant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

a bowl I got when I was one year old (1973)

took it from my parents house when I left to go to college and still have it in my own house now

ColHol wrote:
    Yeah and i know a guy who sells pieces of the berlin wall and rocks from the moon too :rolleyes:

Hey guess what - you're right! I don't have a piece of the Parthenon! I thought about this and remembered what it is. It's actually from the Roman Forum which is also 4th century B.C. My Mam stole it when she was over there despite her tour guide asking her group not to take anything. Kinda like the Elgin marbles I guess.

P.S. I'm not selling it or trying to.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Xcom2

Despatch wrote:
    My Mam stole it when she was over there despite her tour guide asking her group not to take anything.

My brother has a piece of one of the pyramids that his mate stole when he was on holiday in egypt.

The oldest thing I own is my 1978 2000AD annual.

X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm from 1982.

I'm pretty sure that makes me the oldest thing I own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

A five pound note from 1975.
    Oldest toy I've kept is a teddy I've had since I was 5(13 years ago). Heh.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

The oldest thing I think I have is my teddy. He's a bit worse for wear now, but I've had him since I was 1 I think. I took him with me when I moved out of home, and he's often propped onto the bed still...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Inf

My Penis! ive had it as long as i can remember.

Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Inf wrote:
    My Penis! ive had it as long as i can remember.
    Doesn't the penis only develop after a certain number of weeks?
    Surely you'd have something older, like your eyes or even break it down to something more cellular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Inf

Surely you'd have something older, like your eyes or even break it down to something more cellular.

Well maybe santa or end where women for a few weeks, but not me, ive always been a man!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,948 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭Dizzyblabla

I still have my Rainbow Brite! - and Starlet her Horse, circa 1984...
    but I also have a Pair of Widow's Mite Lepton, dated 103 - 76 B.C.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭misswex

A plate, mug and bowl with Happy 1st Birthday on it, specially made for me and a gold amethyst ring my mother owned when she was a child that I got for my 18th birthday!

Hang on a second - aren't we all made of atoms created during the Big Bang approx. 12 or 13 billion years ago? In fact, everything, is technically that old - it's just been reshaped or reconstituted in one form or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Tiffany

Oldest position was when I walked in on my grandparents...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

Tiffany wrote:
    Oldest position was when I walked in on my grandparents...
    ugh, that's a really nasty image. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Tiffany

Demeant0r wrote:
    ugh, that's a really nasty image. :eek:
    I know. Can you picture it? Get a good, solid image of it and burn it into your mind.... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭jezza

mine would be my dinasour, its actually a hippo, thats the same size as a pillow, i have since i was about 3, cant sleep without its been in hospitals france spain london america, all over the place!
    its not the oldest possesion i have but it would be the only old thing i care about.
    theres a few other teddies i have since i was born somewhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

I got one of these in 1981 for my christmas present. There was a rush on them that year so my Dad ended up getting one in Henry Street with a little book of instructions in Dutch...I think I still have the box and all... :cool:

A little bit of 'Plink Plonk' synth history

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭MidnightQueen

Well to be honest my oldest possession would have to be one of the original copies of the book, The Arabian Knights. Its over 200 years old and still in good condition only for the front cover is kinda worn and torn. It has very old advertisements in the back of it. If only i had it ere with me in Clonmel i could take a pic of it and post it up. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

I remember reading that every cell in the body is replenished/rejuvenated after an average of 7 years (I read this somewhere, but cannot remember the source... any science whiz know for sure?), so your oldest cells would be about 7. Goddamn, I own underwear that is older than that! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

The oldest thing I have that I have, that I actually own, is a US first pressing of Elvis Presley's debut album from 1956. It's framed and hanging on my wall. I hope someday soon I'll get my hands on one of the 5 original Sun Singles.. But they can be a pricey, and there's a lot of fakes out there..

K.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

I got a wierd 3 foot teddy thing, i think it's called "my pet monster" from the mid eighties, I'd say around 87, I think that's my oldest possesion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

I think I still have my shoes when I was under a year old, there in my parents attic, other than that, I have an old engineering book that was printed in 1903, so I guess that wins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Kêrmêttê

I've a box of volcanic rocks from Mt. Vesuvius in Italy... heaven knows how old they are.
    I've got a lump of amber in a necklace with some sort of creature fossilised inside it. Again, no idea how old that could be... thousands of years old anyway. (it's definately real amber, NOT synthetic)

I also have a teddy bear / elephant thing that my brother and sister gave me when I was a day old. He's blue, and has a squished nose, and he's called Blue Ted... How original!!! :D
    He's over 31 yrs old... geriatric auld fart!! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

My oldest thing is a stuffed rabbit (named Bugs), which was given to me on the day after i was born.

I have 3 things that are old, but don't belong to me:

An old pocket bible that belonged to my mum's dad. I'd say it's about 30 or 40 years old.

An old leather poach, which look like a car repair kit. It has "Rolls Royce 1941" or sometihing written on it. Also have a small old-fashioned car in a glass mould. I'll post up pics later, if I get a chance. These belonged to dad's dad.

/edit

I also generally hoard stuff. Also have about 140 other teddies, lego, model planes (the ones with a few hundred pieces, that you'd glue together). And lots more stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭lilulila

I still have my Rainbow Brite! - and Starlet her Horse, circa 1984...
    but I also have a Pair of Widow's Mite Lepton, dated 103 - 76 B.C.

I have the bad guy lurky dismal..i got him with my holy communion money lol. The oldest thing I have is my teddy i got from my daddy when i was born. shes a lamb called sue ellen shes nearly 27 years old. Shes been everywhere with me and now my little son has her :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

A book called the Two Temptations from about 1880.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭dazberry

the_syco wrote:
    My oldest thing is a stuffed rabbit (named Bugs), which was given to me on the day after i was born.

That's funny, my oldest considered position is an orange and white stuffed Rabbit (named Joey) which was bought for me before I was born - so since I'm nearly 34 - he's holding up fairly well. Beside him is my pink teddy bear - (ironically called Freddie but hey it was the 70s - you took what you were given :D) who'd be about 31 I guess. These were retrieved from the family home (along with all my Star Wars toys :D) when the house was sold about 5 years ago, and now Joey and Freddie take pride of place at the end of my bed ;)

I have a couple of positions that are older, but they are sort of inherited or whatever - Joey I've had the longest.

D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Von Manstein

I have a set of German WW2 dogtags - ind of strange seeing as both 'tags' are there which means the guy who evr owned them didnt get killed in combat but then again they where dug out of the ground - the soil is still on them.

'4th company komando - supreme command'
    Bau Battalion 97 Unit Signail NR. 138
    Blood Group A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭abccormac

I've a bit of neolithic pottery somewhere, 4-5000 years old or thereabouts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I don't have any Wehrmacht Dogtags or Neolithic pottery lying around BUT I do have an old cute teddy bear that I got when I was born :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Wrist id tag from T+5m

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

my eyes

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

i've a five pence coin from 1987 which i swallowed

i still have the scar on my chest from the operation when it was taken out

Advertisement